Pocket knives

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: Pocket knives

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:11 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Once you get a good knife sharp where it'll shave you...you start NOT letting people touch it. Have upset some of my good friends because I wouldn't just hand over my knife that I spent a half-hour honing to perfecting so they could cut a duck breast out on a concrete slab.

I will not carry a knife that will not shave. I sharpen mine at least every two weeks to keep them sharp. Once you get the process down and get a good set of stones you are set. Also I have found that a leather strap is absolutely necessary to have a sharp knife.

Not for me. :mrgreen: all it takes is about 20 seconds.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Once you get a good knife sharp where it'll shave you...you start NOT letting people touch it. Have upset some of my good friends because I wouldn't just hand over my knife that I spent a half-hour honing to perfecting so they could cut a duck breast out on a concrete slab.

I will not carry a knife that will not shave. I sharpen mine at least every two weeks to keep them sharp. Once you get the process down and get a good set of stones you are set. Also I have found that a leather strap is absolutely necessary to have a sharp knife.

If you dont use leather you will never see the light. ;)
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

From what I've heard, tripod's knives are some of the best out there.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 am

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

From what I've heard, tripod's knives are some of the best out there.

:lol: They aren't "mine", I am just a dealer for them, but they are definitely growing in popularity. It is however tough to beat a surgical sharp edge.
I always explain it this way, I can change to a new blade for .41 - how much is your time worth to put a new edge on with a stone?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 am

I just don't know the name of them, hence the tripod's knives. I read some reviews on them and everything I've seen they sound legit. When I get I back in, I'm getting one from you.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:28 am

3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

:lol: They aren't "mine", I am just a dealer for them, but they are definitely growing in popularity. It is however tough to beat a surgical sharp edge.
I always explain it this way, I can change to a new blade for .41 - how much is your time worth to put a new edge on with a stone?

I like sharpening knives and I forgot that you used the razor knives. I have been thinking about getting one but never have gotten around to it. Plus you couldnt use one of your knives like I use mine due to the blade thickness.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:[quote="aunt betty"]Once you get a good knife sharp where it'll shave you...you start NOT letting people touch it. Have upset some of my good friends because I wouldn't just hand over my knife that I spent a half-hour honing to perfecting so they could cut a duck breast out on a concrete slab.

I like sharpening knives and I forgot that you used the razor knives. I have been thinking about getting one but never have gotten around to it. Plus you couldnt use one of your knives like I use mine due to the blade thickness.[/quote]
They definitely have their time and place, they WILL NOT replace every hunting knife for certain jobs. I will say they work great for breasting out a duck or goose for the fact that you are always cutting along bone.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:31 pm

The wife bought me a sharpening kit.
GATCO. That thing is very nice.
Have taken blades that had nicks in them and restored them to factory new or better edge.
The leather strap should come with a kit that says it has everything you need.

Knife sharpening tip: NEVER push the knife's blade into the stone.
Pull it in diagonal strokes in alternating directions. :thumbsup:

th (1).jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum