Duck Calls

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: Duck Calls

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:53 am

Please. A bufflehead is twice as fast as a teal. And I believe the fastest ever clocked is a canvasback. Teal are nothing more than illusory, because of their drunken monkey flying technique.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:56 am

This conversation is below me so I won't engage, but yet i'm enjoying reading it like a quick read Louis Lamour book
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:57 am

assateague wrote:Please. A bufflehead is twice as fast as a teal. And I believe the fastest ever clocked is a canvasback. Teal are nothing more than illusory, because of their drunken monkey flying technique.

Whatever.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Redbeard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:00 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
assateague wrote:Please. A bufflehead is twice as fast as a teal. And I believe the fastest ever clocked is a canvasback. Teal are nothing more than illusory, because of their drunken monkey flying technique.

Whatever.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
lemme guess you're a mallard hunter?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Redbeard wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Whatever.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
lemme guess you're a mallard hunter?

More of a scaup and gadwall by last years numbers.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Goldfish » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:38 pm

RonE wrote:Quite often the bests call is to just STFU and let the decoys do their job.

while this is true, I enjoy the hell out of educating the ducks for the southern boys that gloat about their long season

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby triplecurl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Truth.
triplecurl

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:50 pm

I believe it is a merg...unless you don't call them ducks.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:13 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

I believe it is a merg...unless you don't call them ducks.

You sir, are correct. Although the can was second, at 72 mph.

The fastest duck ever recorded was a red-breasted merganser that attained a top airspeed of 100 mph while being pursued by an airplane. This eclipsed the previous speed record held by a canvasback clocked at 72 mph. Blue-winged and green-winged teal, thought by many hunters to be the fastest ducks, are actually among the slowest, having a typical flight speed of only 30 mph.

http://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-biology/amazing-waterfowl-facts/page5
assateague

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:46 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
assateague wrote:I'm sorry that you can't hit something moving that fast.

I kill my share of divers. Plus teal are way faster than divers.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
lol'ing for real
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:49 pm

"Blue-winged and green-winged teal, thought by many hunters to be the fastest ducks, are actually among the slowest, having a typical flight speed of only 30 mph."

Typical puddle duck hunter, thinks 30 is fast.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Bufflehead are scary fast when they come ripping down the river.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:16 pm

jehler wrote:"Blue-winged and green-winged teal, thought by many hunters to be the fastest ducks, are actually among the slowest, having a typical flight speed of only 30 mph."

Well, they look fast. :(

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:20 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
jehler wrote:"Blue-winged and green-winged teal, thought by many hunters to be the fastest ducks, are actually among the slowest, having a typical flight speed of only 30 mph."

yeah I know, they change up direction and flare so dramatically, when I miss em I'm pretty sure I'm shooting in front of them.

I have a 21' checkmate that will do an honest 68mph with two in the boat that we use for scouting. I have run up on buffies before and had them take off and out gain ground quickly ahead of the boat
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 pm

jehler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

yeah I know, they change up direction and flare so dramatically, when I miss em I'm pretty sure I'm shooting in front of them.

I have a 21' checkmate that will do an honest 68mph with two in the boat that we use for scouting. I have run up on buffies before and had them take off and out gain ground quickly ahead of the boat

Interesting. Haven't ever seen a buffy before. Sounds like they would be fun.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:24 pm

FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 pm

You got some blood on your truck there.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:26 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
jehler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

They are much like dove!

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:You got some blood on your truck there.
truck was about 12 hours old in that pic, jgun couldn't resist being an ass
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:31 pm

jehler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:You got some blood on your truck there.
truck was about 12 hours old in that pic, jgun couldn't resist being an ass

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:46 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
jehler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I love shooting them. Some people don't, but I have no idea why not. Here, they'll come off the open water, heading for the guts, about a foot off the water, and getting it. Those shots aren't too bad. It's when they're coming out of the gut, heading for open water that it gets interesting. Very short notice, and they are moving. I love it. When they "land", it looks more like someone trying to stop at a car at a stop sign on a downhill, ice-covered road. They're all over the place, sliding across the water. Hilarious, actually. Those little bastards crack me up.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Goldeneyes are the funnest gunning ducks.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Never seen any on this side in the coastal bays. There's quite a few more over on the Chesapeake side, but I don't get over there enough to hunt them.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:16 pm

We've been suprised with a few each year in our little River slough.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Supposedly they're on this side, too. Just never seen one. But I put out a few goldeneye decoys, which work like champs for buffies.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:46 pm

assateague wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
jehler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I love shooting them. Some people don't, but I have no idea why not. Here, they'll come off the open water, heading for the guts, about a foot off the water, and getting it. Those shots aren't too bad. It's when they're coming out of the gut, heading for open water that it gets interesting. Very short notice, and they are moving. I love it. When they "land", it looks more like someone trying to stop at a car at a stop sign on a downhill, ice-covered road. They're all over the place, sliding across the water. Hilarious, actually. Those little bastards crack me up.

We used to have a little tradition with my hunting buddies and I, on the last day of season, we'd do a buffies shoot. We would take the boat out on the river and tie it off to a piling in the middle next to a railroad tressel - no tail rope, no blind, no worries about hiding. Then we would proceed to try and limit out on only drake buffs. They would come flying straight at you and flair up to go over the tressel last minute. Not uncommon to burn 50-75 shells, just sit around laughing at each other.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 pm

That sounds like a good time!

AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:That sounds like a good time!

x2
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Previous

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum