Good beginner duck call

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: Good beginner duck call

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Some guys just can't help it. I hunted with a guy last year who hailed his brains out at every duck within sight. After no response from several groups he says "huh, maybe I should lay off on the next group". Very next flock he is on the call.
I just straight meat honkered.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 pm

It's all you can do. I've cut back a lot in my old age. When I was 15 to 20 years old I never shut up but had a great spot then so it didn't much matter.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[
I'm having a little bit of difficulty switching over to my new single reed because I was used to the way a double reed blows. It's a whole new ball game IMo.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

You'll get it in know time buddy, just keep practicing. It's different but doable for sure.

I'm getting pretty quick. Only had it for a week or so. It's the new style daisy cutter. You can get a lot of sounds out of a single reed that I never could out of a double.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:It's all you can do. I've cut back a lot in my old age. When I was 15 to 20 years old I never shut up but had a great spot then so it didn't much matter.

I just always sucked. Never had to learn to cut back :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 pm

So you think the OP is going to read through these 3 pages that we racked up in 2 hours?

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:So you think the OP is going to read through these 3 pages that we racked up in 2 hours?

Only if he knows what's good for him.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Some guys just can't help it. I hunted with a guy last year who hailed his brains out at every duck within sight. After no response from several groups he says "huh, maybe I should lay off on the next group". Very next flock he is on the call.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sometimes they need a lot of confidence to talk them down.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:Some guys just can't help it. I hunted with a guy last year who hailed his brains out at every duck within sight. After no response from several groups he says "huh, maybe I should lay off on the next group". Very next flock he is on the call.

My favorite call has always came in 50lb bags
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:So you think the OP is going to read through these 3 pages that we racked up in 2 hours?

I hope so. Does anyone ever really read every page? I never read all of the 200 post thread, just jump to the last one.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

I hope so. Does anyone ever really read every page? I never read all of the 200 post thread, just jump to the last one.

I dont think I have ever read a thread all the way through unless I was in on it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

I read almost every post on a topic I'm participating except the 250post thread. Then I just jump in if I feel like it.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

You don't need decoys or a call with that. Just sit on the bank shoot at the flock that comes in, watch em go back up circle and come back down to get shot at again until the whole flock is gone. Allegedly.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

You don't need decoys or a call with that. Just sit on the bank shoot at the flock that comes in, watch em go back up circle and come back down to get shot at again until the whole flock is gone. Allegedly.

Here ducky ducky ducky!
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Here ducky ducky ducky!

Little kernels of duck calls!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Saltmarshkid » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:39 am

Not looking to spend crazy money right away and be discouraged, I'd go up to probably like 50, and learn on it and move up from there
Saltmarshkid

Postby assateague » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:10 am

A wise choice. I've found (although it's certainly not gospel) that most high-end calls are very much harder to run well than the cheaper ones. Not entirely sure about duck calls, but it's certainly true for goose calls. And honestly, if you can learn the fundamentals well on a $30 call, and it works, there's no need whatsoever for an "expensive" call. What works best for you is the best call.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 am

Saltmarshkid wrote:Not looking to spend crazy money right away and be discouraged, I'd go up to probably like 50, and learn on it and move up from there

then go with the j frame like Duck Hammer said.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:41 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Saltmarshkid wrote:Not looking to spend crazy money right away and be discouraged, I'd go up to probably like 50, and learn on it and move up from there

Don't do anything DuckHammar says he's a call hoarder. Has a path through his house to the toilet.
Bootlipkiller

Postby Westie25 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:43 am

assateague wrote:A wise choice. I've found (although it's certainly not gospel) that most high-end calls are very much harder to run well than the cheaper ones. Not entirely sure about duck calls, but it's certainly true for goose calls. And honestly, if you can learn the fundamentals well on a $30 call, and it works, there's no need whatsoever for an "expensive" call. What works best for you is the best call.

I just wanna look cool.
Westie25

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Don't do anything DuckHammar says he's a call hoarder. Has a path through his house to the toilet.

:lol::lol:

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am

assateague wrote:A wise choice. I've found (although it's certainly not gospel) that most high-end calls are very much harder to run well than the cheaper ones. Not entirely sure about duck calls, but it's certainly true for goose calls. And honestly, if you can learn the fundamentals well on a $30 call, and it works, there's no need whatsoever for an "expensive" call. What works best for you is the best call.

I found the opposite to be true for goose calls. My SMH is the easiest call Ive used, but unfortunately is like $130ish new.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm

I gave my SMH away when I got my poly canada hammer. Its my go too call now
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Tomkat wrote:I gave my SMH away when I got my poly canada hammer. Its my go too call now

WTF Tom...wish we were better friends!

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby flight control » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Tomkat wrote:I gave my SMH away when I got my poly canada hammer. Its my go too call now

I have a canada hammer collecting dust on a shelf. I've called geese with it, but no matter how much I practiced, I just couldnt get good. I bought the EX3 last summer and am very happy with it. I have a winglock duck call that I love, but I am by no means a competition caller, just good enough to bring a few down to shoot at. Calling is not as important for me as scouting and setup anyway.

To the OP, consider a whistle call and learn to do the drake mallard. One of the deadliest calls I use, but use it very sparingly, too much and you sound like somethings wrong.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

Didnt know u then. From now on u get all my extra gear sold by convicted poachers.
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Didnt know u then. From now on u get all my extra gear sold by convicted poachers.

Okay, sounds great!

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby insaneduck » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Asking the best beginer duck call will get you a huge variety of answers. I started on a Hobo ICU2. Very easy to blow and learn on but what you would learn easier on is up to you. Try multiple before you buy.
insaneduck

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:39 pm

insaneduck wrote:Asking the best beginer duck call will get you a huge variety of answers. I started on a Hobo ICU2. Very easy to blow and learn on but what you would learn easier on is up to you. Try multiple before you buy.

Blow a Hobo if you want, I heard they can be pretty hard though. Not my cup of tea. :lol:

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
insaneduck wrote:Asking the best beginer duck call will get you a huge variety of answers. I started on a Hobo ICU2. Very easy to blow and learn on but what you would learn easier on is up to you. Try multiple before you buy.

Blow a Hobo if you want, I heard they can be pretty hard though. Not my cup of tea. :lol:

I bet they smell worse than Haydels.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Good beginner duck call? Get a meat flute. :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum