My Homemade Layout

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

My Homemade Layout

Postby capt1972 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 pm

photo.JPG

still need to grass it
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: My Homemade Layout

Postby Redbeard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 pm

You really that big a tight ass?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Looks cool though
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby capt1972 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:54 pm

Redbeard wrote:You really that big a tight ass?

built it on top of a jet-sled. completely water proof. and yes, I am that big of a tight ass! Had all the stuff lying around to build it
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 pm

capt1972 wrote:
photo.JPG

still need to grass it

Never work. I can still see you in there.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:47 am

This gives me an idea...
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 am

assateague wrote:This gives me an idea...
to make your dog blind?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 pm

No, to make my "me" blind.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:25 pm

assateague wrote:No, to make my "me" blind.

What about Dutch?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 pm

He gets a storebought one, I suppose.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:42 pm

assateague wrote:He gets a storebought one, I suppose.

Any reports on the Finisher? Don't see why it wouldn't work.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby jehler » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Fucker makes $125 a squirrel and won't buy a damned layout blind.
Straight meat honker
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:51 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
assateague wrote:He gets a storebought one, I suppose.

Any reports on the Finisher? Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Not yet. I know it seems foolish to worry about such a small difference, but no shit, when I go out, that hybrid is full to the gills. If I have a dog blind that'd fold up and fit in my blind bag, that'd be a big help. But it is really tall (24" vs 18"), so I'm sort of torn on that one. We'll see.

And GK, I looked for the one you were talking about, but had no luck finding it. I should've saved Layniebug's Barbie tent and spraypainted that bitch.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Is there no cover for him to sit in where you hunt? I've never hunted with anyone that uses one or seen it be an issue. Just always pick a covered spot and make them sit.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Teach him to toll

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Or lay him down and put a bit of natural cover on him if his color contrasts with the location. Or make a doggy ghille out of a square of camo netting with a few raffia bundles zip-tied to it and a length of cord tied to one corner to secure it to something or stake it down with a tent peg to keep it from going with him on retrieves.
Rick

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Is there no cover for him to sit in where you hunt? I've never hunted with anyone that uses one or seen it be an issue. Just always pick a covered spot and make them sit.

None whatsoever. Less than a cut corn field, as a matter of fact. Mostly I hunt the tumps in the bay, which are about 10" higher than low tide, and (maybe) 1" higher than high tide. But they're under water about every 3 days, and the only thing on them by the fall are the stubble of marsh grasses, often no more than 2 inches tall.
assateague

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:03 pm

I have 2 Final Approach Mutt Hutt II's and love them for the record. I had a GHG ultra low dog blind that was good as well. Still have that one but it just sits on the shelf now.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Like this, and this is in the summer, before the grasses die. (Sometimes even complete with horses. Sonsabitches.)

The water just off the edge is about 3 feet deep, and the sides drop straight down. When I tie up in the hybrid next to it, worst case I'm even with the top. As the tide drops (or if it's low already), the boat is tucked right into a shelf, often putting my head just below the top of the tump when I'm reclining in the hybrid. This was last early goose. If the grass stayed like this, it wouldn't be bad. But as soon as it freezes once, the tide rolls over it the next time and takes it all away.

171.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Might have to make a ghili suit to blend in better.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Rick wrote:Or lay him down and put a bit of natural cover on him if his color contrasts with the location. Or make a doggy ghille out of a square of camo netting with a few raffia bundles zip-tied to it and a length of cord tied to one corner to secure it to something or stake it down with a tent peg to keep it from going with him on retrieves.
I'm done with dog blinds. Jim take Rick's advice. It's so easy and folds up small. I do this with Charlie
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Or you looking for something to keep the dog outta the water
Redbeard

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:01 pm

I made one of the pvc dog stands that works great.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Redbeard wrote:Or you looking for something to keep the dog outta the water

Nope. Do you just lay it over him like a blanket? It sounds like a good idea. The only drawback I see is that I'll have to get out of the boat, onto the tump, and cover him up every time, since he won't be within arms reach
assateague

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:22 pm

assateague wrote:

Nope. Do you just lay it over him like a blanket? It sounds like a good idea. The only drawback I see is that I'll have to get out of the boat, onto the tump, and cover him up every time, since he won't be within arms reach

When we hunt spring snows we just lay a piece of white cloth over them. We teach the dogs to lay down next to us and just un cover/cover whenever we need them to retrieve. So I don't think it would be too difficult to make a ghili blanket of some sort and blend in some natural vegitation and use that for cover. It really isn't a big deal to cover them back up after they retrieve.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:26 pm

assateague wrote:

ok I can visualize your setup now. Yea you'll have to cover him up each time. But if that isn't a problem for ya, then it's the easiest method. And honestly in the grass field I hunt, it's looks more natural than any blind I've ever tried
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:04 am

assateague wrote:

I'd just teach him to lay still, no matter what, and not worry about birds recognizing him as trouble as long as he's not sitting up or spinning around before you sit up to shoot. Doubt he's as apt to remind the birds of anything that's been shooting at them as he would be in a dog blind rising above the flat terrain, and would think your birds likely quite used to living around benign washed up objects. Know from experience I'd rather hunt next to a readily seen small white Brittany here than a readily seen Lab, presumably because none of our white birds, PVC water control structure or other such white spots on our landscape erupt in gunfire and Labs do.

Does sound like you'll want to work on "place" to get him to return to where you want him to hunt from, where dog blinds usually offer the advantage of providing a known location to "kennel" to.
Rick

Postby assateague » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:54 am

This appeals to not only my sense of utility, but to my sense of cheapness. It's taken under consideration.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:16 am

Rick wrote:
assateague wrote:

I'd just teach him to lay still, no matter what, and not worry about birds recognizing him as trouble as long as he's not sitting up or spinning around before you sit up to shoot. Doubt he's as apt to remind the birds of anything that's been shooting at them as he would be in a dog blind rising above the flat terrain, and would think your birds likely quite used to living around benign washed up objects. Know from experience I'd rather hunt next to a readily seen small white Brittany here than a readily seen Lab, presumably because none of our white birds, PVC water control structure or other such white spots on our landscape erupt in gunfire and Labs do.

Does sound like you'll want to work on "place" to get him to return to where you want him to hunt from, where dog blinds usually offer the advantage of providing a known location to "kennel" to.

I talked to a guy on the refuge one day who taught his lab to "place" on a small rubbery back seat floor mat. Whether it was in the boat or on the ground, he knew his place. I always thought it was a good idea.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 am

The old Texas trainer, Hank Tullis, who I got it from years before I'd heard of "place' training used a mat, too, and the command "mat". When I teach it, we begin in the house with a towel called "station," and once Pup has that down, the station becomes first a wash rag, then a hat or glove and finally, with most, just the place I lay them down with the command "station". A couple did, however, require an object they could identify/smell(?) to always return to and remain at the proper spot.
Rick

Next

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum