Need help with a bird plucker

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: Need help with a bird plucker

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:46 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
assateague wrote:

The oils in dick make them water resistant and the oils turn into a slippery mess. The the rubber fingers can't grab the feathers as well. Your videos are all chickens that pluck easier.

The oils in wut?

:lol:

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:47 pm

RonE wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:This summer somebody gave me an old duck plucker they had lying around. I tried using this evil sonovabitch on last weekends honkers and it was a total failure. I put a garbage bag over what I assumed was the exhaust end and in only a few seconds I was standing in a cloud of down. Next step I have the kid aim the air compressor nozzle into the plucker hoping a draft will push the feathers into the bag - negative. Im even more covered.
So we figure this pos needs suction to work so I clean out my shop vac and hook it up. Start in on a bird and its going great - no more feathers flying. I manage to strip about a 4 X 6 inch area on the first goose when the vacuum has a total loss of suction, take it apart and it completely plugged.

So does anyone have any experience with one of these things where it actually works?

Believe it or not, I have experience. We bought a "Duck-a-minit" and it worked great for about 10 ducks and then needed new fingers or whatever they are called. Turned out it was cheaper to just drop the birds off at a place that picked them and drink beer until they were plucked, wrapped and chilled.

KC bar in Gridley?

AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
assateague wrote:

The oils in dick make them water resistant and the oils turn into a slippery mess. The the rubber fingers can't grab the feathers as well. Your videos are all chickens that pluck easier.

The oils in wut?

Oh my. ... :lol: damn you auto correct!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 pm

assateague wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:Oh, also, wet birds don't pluck as easy as dry birds.

Different style plucker, besides being a chicken not a duck. With those type of pluckers they usually dip the birds in boiling water first also to help loosen the feathers. I have never tried the boiling water trick, but I have been plucking ducks with a plucker for almost 30 years and in my experience a dry bird works better.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:57 pm

But what are your experiences with the "dick oils"
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:11 pm

3legged_lab wrote:But what are your experiences with the "dick oils"

From hands on experience, this stuff works ok.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Scold your birds in 170 degree water that has a fair squirt of dawn dish soap, thrash them around in the water until a wing feather pulls out easy, then pluck
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:52 pm

jehler wrote:Scold your birds in 170 degree water that has a fair squirt of dawn dish soap, thrash them around in the water until a wing feather pulls out easy, then pluck

The issue I'm having isn't feathers coming off, its where they go after they come off.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Just take the guard off completely and do it on the edge of your property closest to the neighbors house.
assateague

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:57 pm

assateague wrote:Just take the guard off completely and do it on the edge of your property closest to the neighbors house.

That reminds me of the Saturdays that I take the trash to the dump and all the goose and duck feathers blow out of the barrels in the back of the truck and cover the cars behind me.

Makes me laugh every time!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:01 pm

I love doing stuff like that. It's funny.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby RonE » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:55 pm

I no longer pluck ducks, I skin the breast and fillet each side and throw the rest away unless someone wants the gizzards.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:16 am

assateague wrote:Just take the guard off completely and do it on the edge of your property closest to the neighbors house.

Not a bad way to go but the whole purpose of using the plucker is to get the feathers off quicker - and save them.
Last season I hand plucked and saved enough to make a pillow. There is a place close to here that is a duck/goose processor, they sell pillows for $100 each and down comforters for $2K.
My pillow cost me 10 bucks.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:20 am

3legged_lab wrote:

Not a bad way to go but the whole purpose of using the plucker is to get the feathers off quicker - and save them.
Last season I hand plucked and saved enough to make a pillow. There is a place close to here that is a duck/goose processor, they sell pillows for $100 each and down comforters for $2K.

Hope you got all the mites out of it first...

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 am

3legged_lab wrote:

You talking about the crazy old bat on dirty jobs in tule lake.

Bootlipkiller

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:25 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

That's why I spent money at the dry cleaner.
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Haha. Trudy.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:28 am

3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Thats why I spent money at the dry cleaner.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Haha. Trudy.

Best episode of dirty jobs ever! Love the part when they are talking to the guide! His smug I'm a guide attitude slapped me in the face like the odor of burnt hair and Indian poop even through the TV.:lol:

Bootlipkiller

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:41 am

3legged_lab wrote:

How much do you want to get? We bag up and throw away all our feathers near the end of the season. I can probably get you a few garbage bags full.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:11 am

Any idea how many gooses it takes to make a big ass comforter? That would be cool...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:13 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Any idea how many gooses it takes to make a big ass comforter? That would be cool...

186.39 but that's only if you use speckle bellies.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:23 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Any idea how many gooses it takes to make a big ass comforter? That would be cool...

Sent from my Vox Mortem

:lol: I don't see specks. Figure out the math on Canadians for me chicken boy!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:20 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Bootlipkiller

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:57 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Approximately 107.68 but they must be 20+ pounders for it to work out correctly.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:39 am

Chicken feather pillows suck butt.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:40 am

Tiler_J wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

How much do you want to get? We bag up and throw away all our feathers near the end of the season. I can probably get you a few garbage bags full.

I'll talk to you about this before the wch.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:47 am

From Tule goose's website:
The 10 pound Canadian Geese each offers approximately six ounces of feathers, 20% of which is down. It takes 40-54 geese to provide enough down for one king-size comforter, slightly less for a pillow.

And I was wrong, a comforter costs $900.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:27 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1380248770898.jpg

Looks like there is a nearly identical one in the new Macks PW catalog, says it does not include the necessary shop vac. Spendy bastard too.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Wow, what a deal

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:07 am

Make a secondary filter/feather collection barrel.
1384869988017.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Juice Box » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:01 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Are those mature or juvenile speckle bellies?
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum