final approach decoys

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

final approach decoys

Postby edisto » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:39 pm

I was out looking for some more woodie decoys and come across these final approach mallards on sale so got them too but when I got home realized how light the drakes heads were when opened box. Has anyone used these decoys ? Do they seem to be ok? F.a. decoy on bottom
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
edisto

Re: final approach decoys

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:44 pm

bitches be like "OMG look at the hair color on that drake. I'm going to land on his face"
grizz18

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:51 pm

my FA dozen of mallards which look nothing like yours have three cracked after one season. no joke I fucking hate FA. even though the hen especially looked awesome.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Also hanging them upside down might turn the heads a different color, something about too much blood? not sure but that could be the problem
grizz18

Postby Goldfish » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm lost now, which one is the new decoy? Looks like the top one is a quiver duck

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby edisto » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Yeah sorry the top is a quiver duck I was just showing the color differance.
edisto

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 pm

edisto wrote:I was out looking for some more woodie decoys and come across these final approach mallards on sale so got them too but when I got home realized how light the drakes heads were when opened box. Has anyone used these decoys ? Do they seem to be ok? F.a. decoy on bottom

Quit thinking so much. Ducks aint as smart as you or we'd never kill any.

You'd see a non-camo shotgun and flare.
You'd see one decoy with red eyes and flare.
You'd see a guy wearing a Chicago Bears hat...and flare.
You'd see a non camo duck boat and flare.
You'd see a bottle of dip spit and flare.
You'd hear one squeeky call and flare.
You'd see glare on the water and flare.
You'd see one un-painted face and flare.
You'd see a poodle and flare.

DUCKS HAVE BRAINS THAT ARE THIS BIG.
So quit thinking so much.
1383180909978.jpg
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:09 pm

You guys that over think the decoys crack me up. Do you really think that a couple shades off from what the industry standard (which by the way, looks nothing like the real deal) flambeaus look like is going to matter?
Have you ever held a real mallard up in the sunlight? I've seen multiple shades of green, blue, purple, and even hints of a copper color.

Hunt those decoys and if you don't kill ducks I'll bet money it wasn't the cause of the blocks. Odds are you or your buddy or your dog or your refuge style rendition of repeated comeback calls were to blame.

Put em in the water, hold still and killem em.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby flight control » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 pm

3legged_lab wrote:You guys that over think the decoys crack me up. Do you really think that a couple shades off from what the industry standard (which by the way, looks nothing like the real deal) flambeaus look like is going to matter?
Have you ever held a real mallard up in the sunlight? I've seen multiple shades of green, blue, purple, and even hints of a copper color.

Hunt those decoys and if you don't kill ducks I'll bet money it wasn't the cause of the blocks. Odds are you or your buddy or your dog or your refuge style rendition of repeated comeback calls were to blame.

Agreed. But as far as durability goes, I've never heard anything good.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:26 pm

flight control wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:You guys that over think the decoys crack me up. Do you really think that a couple shades off from what the industry standard (which by the way, looks nothing like the real deal) flambeaus look like is going to matter?

Agreed. But as far as durability goes, I've never heard anything good.

Possibly. I have no personal experience with that brand.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:45 pm

I know a old poor Yooper that hunts over home made decoys. These are milk cartons with very rough mallard colors on the. Old man kills a ton of ducks, I used to see him driving in from the marsh all the time on roads that his 2WD truck had no business going down.

So those decoys will serve you just the way they are.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:54 pm

10-1 that old yooper had a pile a corn under his decoys
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:07 pm

jehler wrote:10-1 that old yooper had a pile a corn under his decoys

:lol:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Willie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:13 pm

I wouldn't use them for mallards. Probably ought to repaint into bluebills or cans.
Willie

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Olly wrote:I know a old poor Yooper that hunts over home made decoys. These are milk cartons with very rough mallard colors on the. Old man kills a ton of ducks, I used to see him driving in from the marsh all the time on roads that his 2WD truck had no business going down.

So those decoys will serve you just the way they are.

The only reason he comes back with a shit load of ducks is due to his fixed full choke shooting #4 buffered lead!
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby edisto » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:31 pm

:duck: Well I got a hold of an airbrush. Think looks a lil better
edisto

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:47 pm

I like the one on the right.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:39 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I like the one on the right.

X2. Mallard heads are green not blue.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm

I don't like either one...never saw a metalic green head either.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:51 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I don't like either one...never saw a metalic green head either.

Cabela's Northern Flight decoys look just like that. They don't look to bad on the water.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby edisto » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:55 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I don't like either one...never saw a metalic green head either.

That's why I painted it the darker color.I pulled out the box they were the lighter green color. Ive raised a few mallards hear on our farm. And granted there's diff shades of blue and green on a mallards head when light hits. Never seen it get that light.And growing up round hear shooting woodies in lil swamps on our landall my life I've just recently started hunting lakes and all. I know the simplest things outta place would flare a wood duck. And just always had wood duck decoys was just curious but from what I'm reading on here they don't seem too hold up anyhow.
Last edited by edisto on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edisto

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:02 pm

edisto wrote:

That's why I painted it the darker color.I pulled out the box they were the lighter green color. Ive raised a few mallards hear on our farm. And granted there's diff shades of blue and green on a mallards head when light hits. And growing up round hear shooting woodies in lil swamps on our land I've just recently started hunting lakes and all. I know the simplest things outta place would flare a wood duck. And just always wood duck decoys

Throwing a little flat green on the side would help a lot.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Don't necessarily have to look real to get their attention, just like all the guys who blow a call like a stage routine. To get them to look.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Don't necessarily have to look real to get their attention, just like all the guys who blow a call like a stage routine. To get them to look.

I like those guys to be about 200 yards from me. So when they get their attention then flare them with constant hail calls they will come over to me.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:11 pm

I'll be more blunt. Don't over think it, the ducks don't. My decoys are muddy and faded, I bet I could paint them all flat back and they'd work just the same.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:my FA dozen of mallards which look nothing like yours have three cracked after one season. no joke I fucking hate FA. even though the hen especially looked awesome.

The tanglefree deeks are just as bad or worse, especially in the cold weather. I had them crack out when throwing them in the water.
QH's Paw

Postby RonE » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Good job, both colors will attract mallards close enough to kill.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Juice Box » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:49 pm

That's how I got all my FA mallard deeks. They were all returns and since they were already paid for my boss have them to me. I just threw away the cracked ones.
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Juice Box wrote:That's how I got all my FA mallard deeks. They were all returns and since they were already paid for my boss have them to me. I just threw away the cracked ones.

You should have turned them into shells.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Juice Box » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Good idea. Ill do that when the others crack out
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Next

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum