eBay LED light bar - Review

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: eBay LED light bar - Review

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:47 pm

120 watts is too much. If I'd known I would have used something half that.
The engine power pack makes about 4-6 amps I think so I'd be breaking even power wise on the way in to hunt and then gaining juice on the boat ride back after the hunt.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:51 pm

aunt betty wrote:120 watts is too much. If I'd known I would have used something half that.
The engine power pack makes about 4-6 amps I think so I'd be breaking even power wise on the way in to hunt and then gaining juice on the boat ride back after the hunt.

Let's look at the facts we have here and sum it up for new people looking at the thread.

In this thread I reviewed a "72 Watt" LED light bar. This is how much light the bar projects.

20131120_172749.jpg

This how many Amps the light bar draws. It claims to be a 72 Watt but really I think it is only 45 Watts.

20131120_173655.jpg

VS. the traditional 55 Watt filament light and we all know how little light they put out.

uploadfromtaptalk1384997522725.jpg

The LED light bar draws less power and gives off WAY more light.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:21 am

Mines bigger. ;)
1078776_180543665631836_4913473501055352844_o.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:58 am

aunt betty wrote:Mines bigger. ;)
1078776_180543665631836_4913473501055352844_o.jpg

Here you are starting all that shit and you have a bigger LED light :lol: I like that box around it. I've been meaning to build one for mine.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:01 am

If you'd read the thread you'd pick up on the humility of me taking off them tractor lights and paying $56 to get the new hipster lights. The LED lights are very cool until you're coming up on another boat with the same lights. Then they suck.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:02 am

I still have the tractor lights for Justin case
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:06 am

aunt betty wrote:If you'd read the thread you'd pick up on the humility of me taking off them tractor lights and paying $56 to get the new hipster lights. The LED lights are very cool until you're coming up on another boat with the same lights. Then they suck.

I always turn mine off when coming head on with another boat.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:09 am

My switch is at the front of the boat. So far nobody has ever turned off their nav or headlights for me so I don't feel bad. Hell, damn kids will stand there shining their 140 lumen led headlights in my face while just standing there.
Just squint...it'll be fine.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:11 am

aunt betty wrote:My switch is at the front of the boat. So far nobody has ever turned off their nav or headlights for me so I don't feel bad. Hell, damn kids will stand there shining their 140 lumen led headlights in my face while just standing there.
Just squint...it'll be fine.

Turning your navigation lights would be a bad idea haha but it's just common curtsey to turn the driving light off. Just like you do with high beams on the road.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:12 am

Common courtesy, duck hunters and Arkansas...oxy morons. You're killin me man.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:14 am

Take more than 90 seconds to launch your boat and see all about common courtesy. :)
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:20 am

Go to bayou meto on a weekend sometime. Better just watch the first time. It's more like 200 or 300 boats with a parking lot that'll hold 40 rigs maybe
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:38 am

No duck in the world is worth that BS.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 am

The box is made of plywood. Quickly cobbled together. It's for blocking limbs and tree branches from K-O ing the light bar.
Not really required. Just a feel-good kind of thing.

If the ducks are kamikazi ing into "Govt. Cypress walk-ins" the boats all end up at a certain foot-bridge. THAT is where they're all racing to. And hell yes you'd go and deal with the crowd just to get close to that kind of duck carnage. (it's real)

About my distrust of new technology...
Back in the 1980's I was in my 20's and this country's manufacturers had just discovered that by using fancy math and calculus...they could PLAN on when their products failed. It was a bad time to be that 20-ish year old guy who wants new everything and I got burned a few times real quick. Learned fast to wait at least a couple years before buying the new "whatsits" to make sure they had all the bugs worked out.

I still have a commodore computer. rofl
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:00 am

12311110_10207709463671544_6207490724652530732_n.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:29 am

aunt betty wrote:The box is made of plywood. Quickly cobbled together. It's for blocking limbs and tree branches from K-O ing the light bar.

I'll tell you what else it's good for, keeping the light from bouncing off your bow and blinding you. I don't really have a way to not have that happen right now, and to see well I need to hold my hand up covering that light bouncing back, or have someone sitting up front so their outline blocks it.

But mine are still running strong.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:41 am

Goldfish wrote:
aunt betty wrote:The box is made of plywood. Quickly cobbled together. It's for blocking limbs and tree branches from K-O ing the light bar.

I'll tell you what else it's good for, keeping the light from bouncing off your bow and blinding you. I don't really have a way to not have that happen right now, and to see well I need to hold my hand up covering that light bouncing back, or have someone sitting up front so their outline blocks it.

But mine are still running strong.
True, I put the box on to make it so I don't have to squint from all the glare that reflects off anything in front of the light. Even sealed the seams/joints with lastomeric caulk. (the glare was that bad)
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:42 am

It's awful on my boat. I usually throw decoys up on the bow right behind it to block the light.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:19 am

3/4" plywood, caulk, and some camo black paint. Drywall screws. Lol
I already had the plywood deck with holes in it for the trolling motor. Wood butchered it but it works. Got the bow light up out of the way too. It was in the way and made a ton of reflections back at me.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:38 pm

aunt betty wrote:3/4" plywood, caulk, and some camo black paint. Drywall screws. Lol
I already had the plywood deck with holes in it for the trolling motor. Wood butchered it but it works. Got the bow light up out of the way too. It was in the way and made a ton of reflections back at me.

I just can't slap together a plywood box on a 13k dollar boat :lol: just wouldn't be right.

I was going to take it to a welder and have one made but now that it's for sale I'll just leave it as is.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:26 pm

Olly wrote:
aunt betty wrote:3/4" plywood, caulk, and some camo black paint. Drywall screws. Lol

I just can't slap together a plywood box on a 13k dollar boat :lol: just wouldn't be right.

I was going to take it to a welder and have one made but now that it's for sale I'll just leave it as is.

You take the "thing" off when it's not duck season. Ducks don't give you style points do they? Like she's going to say, "gee olly I can't ride on your boat because of the shabby assed light you got rigged on it".
13508981_492655427599668_764470663011649334_n.jpg
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum