eBay LED light bar - Review

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

eBay LED light bar - Review

Postby Olly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm

I've had a duck boat of one kind or another for about 5 years now and I've always had those cheap halogen lights from Wal-mart or a automotive parts store. The kind that are 100w and draw about 30a and they can get the job done but I've always wanted to try some LED lights. However the cost has always scared me away. If you were to go price out a 14" light bar from Rigid the leading manufacturer of LED light bars in the USA you would find that it would be well over $300.00 and that was out of the question.

I started looking for a cheaper alternative and found that there were plenty of sellers on eBay selling "Rigid Clones" for 1/4 of the price! I spent a few months looking at photos and searching the web for details about the quality of these Chinese knockoffs and couldn't really find any info.

So I've decided to take a chance and I dropped $85.00 on one of these clones from eBay and so far it seems like a good buy.

SPECS
.LED Power: 72W
. Operating Voltage: 10-30 DC
. Waterproof rate: IP 67
. 24pcs*3w high intensity LEDS
. Body Color: Black
. Color Temperature: 6000K
. Material: Diecast aluminum housing
. Lens material: Toughed glass
. Mounting Bracket: Alu firm bracket
. 30000 hours above life time . Dimensions:14inch

Here is a front and back shot of the light. The casing is made of all aluminum and it comes with all the hardware you need to mount it including rubber pads to dampen the light if you plan on mounting it to a surface that vibrates a lot.

20131120_175615.jpg

20131120_175628.jpg

I was excited for it to get dark so I could take it out for a test in the drive way. The light I bought is a combo of flood and spotlight.

20131120_172617.jpg

Here's me standing at the end of the drive way for a distance reference.

20131120_172749.jpg

After being impressed with the amount and clarity of light I wanted to see how many amps were being drawn by the light. With my boat battery having a reserve capacity of 120Ah and the light drawing 3.5A The battery should last about 34 hours! I doubt I ever have to worry about my driving light draining the battery again.

20131120_173655.jpg

The light is also advertised to be waterproof to IP67 which means that it is waterproof for down to a depth of 1 meter. I was a little nervous about dropping my new light even if it was only $85.00 into the water but I wanted to be sure before I spent the time mounting it to my boat.

20131120_174319.jpg

The light stayed under the water for over 30 minutes while I typed up this review.

20131120_174423.jpg

Look at all that light!

20131120_174504.jpg

In conclusion these Chinese knockoff LED light bars are definetly worth the price. Are they as good as a Rigid? I don't know I've never owned one but I can say that I feel like I've gotten my money worth out of the light if it stands up to the coming duck season. Which I will report back on.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: eBay LED light bar - Review

Postby jehler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:11 pm

A 12 volt spearing setup maybe, hmmmm
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:21 pm

jehler wrote:A 12 volt spearing setup maybe, hmmmm

Was thinking the same thing. For $300 I could have a pretty sweet setup for clear water. If they will actually last for 30+ hours that would be sweet. Can't beat the HPS for mucky water though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

Was thinking the same thing. For $300 I could have a pretty sweet setup for clear water. If they will actually last for 30+ hours that would be sweet. Can't beat the HPS for mucky water though.
at that amperage your charging system would keep up
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 pm

jehler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

at that amperage your charging system would keep up

I don't have a charging system. I use a troller when I shoot.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:32 pm

I tested the draw on a single 55W halogen light and it draws a whole amp more than the light bar.

uploadfromtaptalk1384997522725.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks for the review Olly, looks like I found my next boat lights.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Great. I have perfectly good lights on the front of my boat but now I want new led's. Thanks Olly
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:57 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Great. I have perfectly good lights on the front of my boat but now I want new led's. Thanks Olly

Obviously you guys know I do a lot of striper fishing at night. I've seen several boats on the river running LEDs and they are outstanding. So yes tripod you're fucked, just buy them. :lol:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Olly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:07 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Great. I have perfectly good lights on the front of my boat but now I want new led's. Thanks Olly

:lol: It'll be worth it. If you remember my last boat had 4 of those 55W halogen lights on the front and this one light puts out more light then those 4 together.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:55 pm

I want to put 4 of them on the Jeep.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 pm

assateague wrote:I want to put 4 of them on the Jeep.

I've been seeing a pickup around town lately with a bar that looks similar to these mounted above the cab. Must be 4 or 5 foot wide.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 am

what is this China mans ebay name?
IndianaMallard64

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:30 am

Chin.
assateague

Postby Olly » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 am

IndianaMallard64 wrote:what is this China mans ebay name?

Just search "LED light bar" dozens of sellers are carrying them. I found many sellers are here in the US but if you don't mind waiting you can get them even cheaper directly from China. I've seen them in lengths from 6" to 50"!
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:23 am

On a snowmobile forum I saw a guy buy an led accent light strip for $40. I told him he's nuts and to go on Ebay. He then got in this butt hurt mode about keeping money in the US to support our sport. I told him if he thinks that some online store that sells you the exact same China leds that I just bought direct for $5 is going to help our sport, I've got a bridge to sell ya. Only way that stuff will matter, is if it were made and sold here. Made over there and sold here, you are just getting ripped off.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Juice Box » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Just FYI. I just looked on Amazon and they have them there too. For those of you who prefer amazon over eBay.
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Motoxwrench wrote:I sell LED Lighting. All sizes from 2" cubes through 50" light bars.

Do your prices beat those of the china men?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Motoxwrench » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:25 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Motoxwrench wrote:I sell LED Lighting. All sizes from 2" cubes through 50" light bars.

I was informed that I did not fallow forum rules. Sorry but I am not able to send prices at this time. Thank you
Motoxwrench

Postby Juice Box » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Motoxwrench wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

I was informed that I did not fallow forum rules. Sorry but I am not able to send prices at this time. Thank you

Dafuck what rules did you break
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Juice Box wrote:
Motoxwrench wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

:lol: Have you read the rules Box?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Juice Box » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Juice Box wrote:
Motoxwrench wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

:lol: Have you read the rules Box?

NOPE!!
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby Motoxwrench » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:24 pm

I did not read the rules prior to posting. I have since read the rules. One could say I broke rule number 10.
Motoxwrench

Postby Goldfish » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:57 am

My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:33 am

It's an $85 disposable light bulb. Very cool and it is new and shiny.
What happens when the first one of them LED's burns out and takes nine more with it?
Buy a new one?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 am

aunt betty wrote:It's an $85 disposable light bulb. Very cool and it is new and shiny.
What happens when the first one of them LED's burns out and takes nine more with it?
Buy a new one?

Betty here's another topic you don't know what you're talking about. You're very suspicious of new technology I've noticed.

Anyway LEDs last way longer than filament bulbs and very rarely burn out.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:19 am

Olly wrote:
aunt betty wrote:It's an $85 disposable light bulb. Very cool and it is new and shiny.
Buy a new one?

Betty here's another topic you don't know what you're talking about. You're very suspicious of new technology I've noticed.

Anyway LEDs last way longer than filament bulbs and very rarely burn out.

Olly. This city has very expensive LED stop lights.
Have seen them and holy shit they're bright. They burn out quickly. What happens is one LED starts flickering. They are wired in banks of eight led's or something like that. One goes and takes the whole bank out.

New technology tends to get marketed before the bugs get worked out. Its not that I don't trust technology...I don't trust the marketing of technology that isn't quite ready.

Oh, when I was young I had to have the newest of everything and got burnt a lot of times. Running out and buying something to be first on the block...isn't me.

AT? Do you have an opinion on this topic?
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 am

Plus I'm about ready to try some LED, lights if they get down to around $50 I will.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:23 am

You're crazier than I thought if you think LED is a new technology.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Goldfish » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:37 am

Huh. Last night they were $9.99. Tried to give you guys the heads up.
Goldfish

Next

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum