Duck Hunting Software

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: Duck Hunting Software

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:18 pm

aunt betty wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Olly wrote:[quote="DeadEye_Dan"]That's true, and running in the swamps having a track to re-trace is crucial.

I just mark weed beds in 50-120 FOW

This morning if I didn't have a pre-planned route that I created in Google Earth and then transfered to my GPS I would never have made it to my spot. The fog gave me less than 10ft of visibility and I navigated by GPS only.

Did you ever write up how to do all this?
my GPS has a tracking feature.
I find a hole, mark it, drive back to launch and save the "track".
Later I can "backtrack" which is kind of what olly did I think.

But he makes the path on his computer before he ever goes there.
I do the same as you with my GPS. Makes for easy travel in open water in the dark. Find a rock free path in the light, then you don't have to worry in the dark.
You misunderstand...

Suppose you have cords for a duck hole and itś right over there 700 yards off in the timber. There is a little beaver run you must run your boat thru and it´s not marked. You show up and figure it out in the daylight, mark it, trac it on the gps and return in the darkness. THere is NO WAY on earth you can sit at home and lay a ¨path¨ thru timber that will get you to that hole in the darkness.

Look at the next picture I post. I will show you exactly where ducks do vertical take offs and landings. Then get Olly to tell you how to get there.[/quote]
I understand what your saying. I do the same thing to a lot if my spots. I go through and find the deep spots and mark a path to get around all the gravel bars and boulders so I have no worries in the dark.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:54 pm

I apologize for being a dick.

To make up for it I will share a REALLY GOOD APP for your smart phone that does kind of what you want.

Trimble Outdoors. It is free and for $5 you can upgrade to the pro-version (I did).

If you don´t have internet service it will suck but even without service the GPS part works great but no maps without internet.
You can still mark waypoints and make tracks.

Try it, $5 .
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:12 pm

No harm here Betty.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:39 pm

aunt betty wrote:I apologize for being a dick.

To make up for it I will share a REALLY GOOD APP for your smart phone that does kind of what you want.

Trimble Outdoors. It is free and for $5 you can upgrade to the pro-version (I did).

If you don´t have internet service it will suck but even without service the GPS part works great but no maps without internet.
You can still mark waypoints and make tracks.

Try it, $5 .

I have it, but haven't really used it yet. Got it back when it was Cabelas hunt app
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Apparently Trimble was running when I packed up camp last Friday . The Trac is still there. It tracked me back n forth between my truck and tent. Looks funny. Lol
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum