GPS & Google Earth - Routes

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

GPS & Google Earth - Routes

Postby Olly » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:03 pm

I've been asked several times how I use Google Earth to create routes and then send them to my GPS device for use int he field so here is a simple write up.

There is no way that his tutorial can ever cover all models GPS out there but the process should be very similar for all brands of GPS units.

Items Required
Software:
Google Earth
http://www.google.com/earth/

GPSBabel
http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Hardware:
GPS unit
GPS cable to interface with a PC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start by going over the software you will use.

Google Earth
The first time I ever used Google Earth (GE) it was known as Keyhole and later bought by Google in 2004, since then GE and the KML & KMZ file formats have become a world wild standard and if you want to use GE you need to understand the two file formats. Keyhole Markup Language (KML) & Keyhole Markup Zipped (KMZ). It's important to remember these because later we will be converting our GPS files into the KML or KMZ formats. The only difference between the two file formats is that a KMZ file is a zipped or compressed version of a KML file. This is useful if you are including a lot of information such as images or thousands of way-points. For this lesson we will be using the KML format.

GPSBabel
GPSBabel is another free program developed by the good people at http://www.gpsbabel.org. I think this is hands down the best free program for converting common GPS file formats to other file formats.

Hardware I use.

I have owned several GPS units over the years starting with Garmin etrex's and finally settling on a Magellan 500 for the last few years. My GPS isn't new or high tech by today's standards so even with older cheaper hardware you can still have fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating a route in Google Earth then sending to the GPS

If I know that that I will be heading out in weather that limits my visibility and I will be using the GPS to navigate like extreme fog I will create a route in GE and then send it to the GPS so that I can see and actual line on my handheld unit. Let's do that now.

Open Google Earth and locate the are you want to be using. Here I am using the Mobile Delta, and I want to create a route from the boat launch to Big Bateau Bay.

Open Google Earth and on the toolbar near the top you want to select "Add new Path"

1.png

You will see a new small window appear this is the "properties" window for your new path, name the path then move the window out of your way. Hover your cursor over the map and it will turn into a cross hair. You can now start to click the map and add points on the path, go ahead and create your path.

2.png

Once your path is complete you want to save it to your PC. Right click on the path and choose "save to my places as" then a save window will appear. Here you can select where you want to save the file and what the name is going to be.

3.png

Once the file is saved in my case I named it "Boat Ramp to Big Bateau Bay.kml". Open GPSBabel because now we need to convert it to a format that my GPS receiver can understand. Depending on what brand of GPS you use will determine what you select here but the interface is very straight forward. The top section is for the source file and the bottom is for the converted file. You can see that I have selected the format (KML) and the file itself. Then I chose "Magellan SD files" because I am using a Magellan GPS. I've also named the location where I'll be saving the new file.

4.png

Now all that is left to do is upload the file to your GPS. I won't cover that here, refer to the user manual that came with your GPS for brand specific instructions.

Here you can see that the route has been uploaded to my GPS and is displayed on the map. When I choose to follow this map on my GPS I it will tell me distance to the next point, time to next point, and how far I'm off direction if any. You can see how helpful this would be in a zero visibility situation.

20131207_213841.jpg

If you guys like this write up I will do more covering way-points, track-logs & how to use Google Earth to build and manage a database of files.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: GPS & Google Earth - Routes

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Great stuff Olly.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Fly yo geek flag Olly.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Willie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Great stuff Olly.

I agree, good stuff. I have a pretty nice DeLorme that I don't begin to even scratch the surface of it's capabilities.
Willie

Postby Bufflehead » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks for posting this :thumbsup:
Bufflehead

Postby Olly » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Just an example here is a route that I made last night in Orange and the path that I actually took this morning for a hunt in Green. There was extreme fog again and I couldn't see more than 10ft in front of the boat. Driving lights were useless and having the route enabled me to get there easily and safely.

compare.png
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Olly, sorry to had jack your thread but it's GPS stuff. Can you help me figure this out?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:01 pm

This
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:33 pm

aunt betty wrote:This

Go to "add waypoint" type in the latitude and longitude and press "enter". Should take you right there.

Didn't they burn all those blinds though?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:11 am

NuffDaddy wrote:

Go to "add waypoint" type in the latitude and longitude and press "enter". Should take you right there.

yes. The blinds are gone but...somehow the holes and fields didn't change.

The difference is amazing. No more territorial squabbles over a plywood box on stilts. :)
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:14 am

NuffDaddy wrote:

I wanted olly to explain how to change the cord system.
Those cords are not what I use.
I scout, find holes, mark them, make tracks, and hunt.
There is a hole I just can't find and it is not getting used. I see ducks going into the area but ....it's thick with logs and buck brush.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 am

I read this and go HUH?
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 am

aunt betty wrote:I read this and go HUH?

Not a clue what that means either.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 am

There's probably a setting on the GPS. Those are just different ways of marking points. Latitude and longitude are in degrees, minutes, and seconds. WGS is, I believe, the system used in the military, with 8 or 10 digit grids. UTM is universal transverse Mercator, or some crap. No idea what NAD is. I bet if you go into setting you can select UTM or the other, and it'll take you there.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:08 pm

Olly wrote:Just an example here is a route that I made last night in Orange and the path that I actually took this morning for a hunt in Green. There was extreme fog again and I couldn't see more than 10ft in front of the boat. Driving lights were useless and having the route enabled me to get there easily and safely.

compare.png

Just seeing this, that is badass! Thanks for sharing.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 pm

I dunno, maybe it's best if nobody can figure out where all them holes are.
Almost 200. I found about 50 so far.
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm

aunt betty wrote:I dunno, maybe it's best if nobody can figure out where all them holes are.

I'm surprised they tell you where all the spots are.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I dunno, maybe it's best if nobody can figure out where all them holes are.

Almost 13k acres of woods. When it floods it's not pretty. Finding/picking a path thru the mess is a task.
My hole I use...had to spend a day finding it and pulling, pushing, moving floating logs on the trail to it. That trail was only ten feet under water and is an old beaver run.
I use the same hole every year and do the same routine.

First get lost and wander around in the boat until I stumble into it.
I know exactly where it is as I have cords. Getting there is the trick. Once in the hole I know the way out by heart. Timber is crazy when it floods.
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:29 pm

aunt betty wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Almost 13k acres of woods. When it floods it's not pretty. Finding/picking a path thru the mess is a task.
My hole I use...had to spend a day finding it and pulling, pushing, moving floating logs on the trail to it. That trail was only ten feet under water and is an old beaver run.
I use the same hole every year and do the same routine.

First get lost and wander around in the boat until I stumble into it.
I know exactly where it is as I have cords. Getting there is the trick. Once in the hole I know the way out by heart. Timber is crazy when it floods.

I was gonna go run around some timber this spring that flooded up here at one of the WMAs but never got around to it kinda wish I woulda though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:59 am

assateague wrote:

There's probably a setting on the GPS. Those are just different ways of marking points. Latitude and longitude are in degrees, minutes, and seconds. WGS is, I believe, the system used in the military, with 8 or 10 digit grids. UTM is universal transverse Mercator, or some crap. No idea what NAD is. I bet if you go into setting you can select UTM or the other, and it'll take you there.

NAD 83 is North Atlantic Datum 83 and is probably the most current. for the area. It will be a choice on your GPS settings.
QH's Paw

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:01 am

If you only use your GPS to mark and track then the grid system you use usually isn't that important. It really only comes into play when you start doing the type of stuff Olly is from offline, not in the field.
QH's Paw

Postby jjulie099 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:50 am

Nice post!
jjulie099

Postby RonE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:39 am

jjulie099 wrote:Nice post!

Welcome to WFF
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum