Basspro/redhead gloves

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Basspro/redhead gloves

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 am

Bout to return the second pair in two weeks.
First pair was a pair of their "waterproof" decoy gloves. Not water proof. Took em back.
Got a pair now that are supposed to be water/wind proof. I've seriously hunted in them once in the rain and they held the water off and worn them to work driving around on a gator a few times and the seam going up the right index finger is busted open already. Needless to say these will be going back as well. I will not buy another basspro or redhead branded product. All garbage.
FlintRiverFowler

Re: Basspro/redhead gloves

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:09 am

Told you. I learned my lesson with those waders.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am

I think I'd be better off just having several pairs of shitty gloves and changin them when they get wet, ill definitely have no trouble fitting extra gloves in my blind bag/ suit case.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:58 am

Atlas gloves(or any other rubber glove) are the best decoy gloves. Redhead brand anything is junk.

Any glove with a seam will start leaking at some point.
Bufflehead

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:59 am

I had a pair of these until I drunkenly dropped them into a fire.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017QFDQW

Get these for decoys and a pair of regular non waterproof gloves for sitting there.
Thank me next time you see me.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:06 am

Olly wrote:I had a pair of these until I drunkenly dropped them into a fire.

Get these for decoys and a pair of regular non waterproof gloves for sitting there.
Those will last.
Bufflehead

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:51 am

Those are what I use up here. Exact same give Cabela's sells for less than half the price.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:18 pm

18 bucks. Ill go ahead and thank you.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:36 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

18 bucks. Ill go ahead and thank you.

Order two pair, give me one and get free shipping. I'll hit you up for it.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm

For $18 you could have 30 pairs of brown jersey gloves. I don't know why people insist on paying for high dollar gloves that you can't do a damn thing while wearing.
assateague

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:47 pm

I bought three more pairs of these the other day for under $3 a pair:

Team them with military surplus wool liners that cost about the same when it's really cold, and you're ready for most any work on the water.

Assa, I'm cheap, but not cheap enough to wear cotton gloves in the marsh. Wet wool beats snot out of wet cotton.
Rick

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:15 pm

I agree. I used up my last pair of the wool liners about 4 years ago, and haven't bought any since.

But the brown gloves don't really get wet- when I'm doing something water related (picking up decoys, ducks, setting out, etc) I take them off. Then when I get back to the bank and settled, they go back on. I usually take 2 pair, and that's more than enough. A 10 pack lasts me a couple years, and I don't have to worry if I lose a pair (or a single)
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Atlas, like Bufflehead said.

Best gloves I've ever used
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:59 pm

assateague wrote:For $18 you could have 30 pairs of brown jersey gloves. I don't know why people insist on paying for high dollar gloves that you can't do a damn thing while wearing.

Why on earth would you wear brown yard gloves to pick up decoys? That's all these gloves are for is picking up decoys in cold weather, they go all the way up your arm.

Be a cheap ass all you want but sometimes paying for a quality product is okay.

Also the gloves Rick mentioned aren't lined with insulation. So of course they are cheaper.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 pm

I don't wear gloves when picking up decoys. If you can't make it 10 minutes without gloves, you may want to toughen up. Sometimes being man is a benefit.

(And the Texas rigging certainly helps)
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:40 pm

I set three muskrat traps in the tax ditch walking to my stand, after breaking ice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388781525.355279.jpg

My hands are warm and dry, because I took the gloves off, instead of buying a special glove to be used for a total of 2 hours a year.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388781579.141676.jpg

By all means, do whatever you want. It just seems unnecessary is all.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:43 pm

assateague wrote:I don't wear gloves when picking up decoys. If you can't make it 10 minutes without gloves, you may want to toughen up. Sometimes being man is a benefit.

(And the Texas rigging certainly helps)

I guess I'm just a giant leaky vagina then.

You keep your miserable cheap gloves and wet hands. I'll be happy knowing that my hands are dry and warm for just a few dollars more.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:50 pm

My hands are warm and dry for a few dollars less. It all evens out somewhere in the middle, discounting those who set out hundreds of decoys day in and day out.
assateague

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:52 pm

Me too, wet and cold hands or feet are a recipe for being miserable. I wear two pairs of wool socks and try to keep my hands warm and dry when hunting. i have three pairs of gloves in my bag now too.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Guys, I never said I like wet cold hands. Fuck that. I just don't get buying special gloves for picking up a few dozen decoys.
assateague

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 pm

assateague wrote:Guys, I never said I like wet cold hands. Fuck that. I just don't get buying special gloves for picking up a few dozen decoys.

No its cool. Might as well start calling you MT since you're so much cooler than everyone else. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:22 pm

I only wear homemade gloves.
assateague

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:23 pm

I wear un-insulated atlas gloves when it's warm, insulated ones when it's cold. A cotton glove would stay dry all of about 30 seconds with me. Plus rubber gloves are windproof and that makes a huge difference if you're running a boat.

I was given a nice ass pair of Columbia gloves for sitting in the blind twiddling my thumbs, hard to beat as far as being warm.
Bufflehead

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

assateague wrote:I only wear homemade gloves.

How do they hold up to grizzlies?
Bufflehead

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Did you look at those Atlas?? There neon orange - not exactly "specialized decoy gloves".

Those things are a Godsend for driving boats and wrestling layouts and long lines and anchors in sub 30° temps.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Rmk wrote:Hello my name is rmk and I have a problem, each fall I get up way to early, I get in a boat freeze my ass off in my lame attempts to kill ducks. Thanks for letting me share.

Now we're talking.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:07 pm

assateague wrote:Guys, I never said I like wet cold hands. Fuck that. I just don't get buying special gloves for picking up a few dozen decoys.

Some of us put out more than a few dozen. Sometimes it takes 20-30 min for me and a buddy to pick up the spread. When you have to bust ice off the decoys to get the line to slide through it gets cold quick without gloves.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:21 pm

Like them or not you've got them. Pure misery.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Olly wrote:
Rmk wrote:Hello my name is rmk and I have a problem, each fall I get up way to early, I get in a boat freeze my ass off in my lame attempts to kill ducks. Thanks for letting me share.

Now we're talking.

Bug in the website?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:42 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:

Now we're talking.

Bug in the website?

First I've seen this one, my first post gets quoted constantly tho..."new member from Georgia here" some dumb shit like that. Its embarrassing.
FlintRiverFowler

Next

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum