Decoy sled...

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Decoy sled...

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 pm

Since I am switching from tangled lines you wrap around the keel to Texas rig style deeks. I already have 1 dozen rigged this way and 3 dozen more to go. One thing I dread is hauling all those deeks in (usually takes 2-3 trips) because I usually hunt by myself. So this year I'm going to be investing in a hard plastic sled.

Criteria:
Needs to be able to hold all 4 doz. floaters
Needs to be able to hold my layout blind
Needs to hold shotgun and shells
Needs room for the pile of ducks I kill because some of my new, secret spots are that awesome ;)

Which one would you suggest?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Re: Decoy sled...

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Jet Sled XL.

I have owned both the jet sled, and Soroc Sports Sled. The Soroc sled it's sold through bass pro, and is much cheaper than the Jet Sled.

Not bad for the price, but it is cheaper for a reason. Mine had a hole in it within two weeks of use, while my jet sled has survived two seasons with just some rubbing.

Don't get the smaller sleds, as they won't hold all that you plan to haul.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 pm

If it's just 4 doz texas rigs, tie the rigs in an overhand knot on about a dozen and just grab all 4 bundles by the knot at one time.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:31 pm

But to have to carry all that plus shotgun blind bag and layout blind a good half mile is a little bit of work for one person my train of though is to get all the gear I need to these spots in one trip and back.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:01 am

I know you're Rex Mother Fuckin' Chapman, but whatcha gonna pull all that overland with? Gonna be a bear unless it's water all the way.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 am

Jet sled XL

And Rick is right. I load mine with 40 duck decoys, 4 goose decoys, a mash seat, and a blind bag. With wet grass or snow it pulls alright. Without its a ball buster. I have a couple spots where it's about a 200 yard dry pull to the water and it's not fun by myself.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:31 am

Ditch your mesh decoy bag and get a decoy bag with a hip belt and back pack straps. I can carry 4 dozen decoys, my shotgun and shells that way. If it is such a super secret squirrel spot, shouldn't need but 1 or 2 dozen deeks. And do you really need a layout blind? If you are hunting with a buddy, one guy can carry the deeks, one can carry the layout blinds. Sounds to me like you are carrying in too much gear.
goodkarmarising

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:03 am

The layout blind is necessary in a lot of spots. Not a lot of vegetation to ly down in.
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:40 pm

You can also think about getting one of those game carts to put your sled on to push it out till you get to water. Lots of guys use those or homemade versions at the WMAs out here.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:14 pm

I don't think a game cart would work to well. The sled would mostly be used to pull that gear while wading trough water.
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:56 pm

R. Chapman wrote:I don't think a game cart would work to well. The sled would mostly be used to pull that gear while wading trough water.
then you'll be fine. Thought your half mile walk was on dry land. Which wouldn't be possible for you to pull a XL jet sled full.
But if you have at least 4" of water, those things are the shit. I fill mine with as much stuff as I can without it sinking. Pulls like it isn't even there.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:57 pm

That's what I figured it would do, just needs to hold all my shit and not sink.
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Here is a pic of it loaded down.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389304648.105624.jpg

Thats 40 mag mallard decoys, a marsh seat, and my portable blind. I also strap a XL blind bag that weighs about 30lbs on too. I sling my gun though because I don't want it to go for a swim if the sled goes down.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:24 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:I don't think a game cart would work to well. The sled would mostly be used to pull that gear while wading trough water.
then you'll be fine. Thought your half mile walk was on dry land. Which wouldn't be possible for you to pull a XL jet sled full.
But if you have at least 4" of water, those things are the shit. I fill mine with as much stuff as I can without it sinking. Pulls like it isn't even there.

You can pull it 1/2 mile. I do it often.

You won't be happy, but it can be done.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

But your not 100lbs soaking wet.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:32 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Here is a pic of it loaded down.

Thats 40 mag mallard decoys, a marsh seat, and my portable blind. I also strap a XL blind bag that weighs about 30lbs on too. I sling my gun though because I don't want it to go for a swim if the sled goes down.

Looks like your carrying an oversized ghilly suit. So that's a jet sled XL?
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Depends on the ground and load in the sled. Grass sucks, sand really sucks, and mud isn't much better. Tall grass weeds aren't bad and pulls pretty easy on dirt/gravel. But when you load it as full as possible it all sucks.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:38 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

But your not 100lbs soaking wet.

This probably makes a big difference.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:39 pm

R. Chapman wrote:

It's this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389307127.450268.jpg

Yes that's the Jet sled XL.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Rex, this should solve all of your problems. For long overland journeys, use a bicycle wheeled deer carrier and put this on top.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-OTT52-MB
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:52 pm

RonE wrote:Rex, this should solve all of your problems. For long overland journeys, use a bicycle wheeled deer carrier and put this on top.

In foot deep water with 6" or mud? No thanks.
R. Chapman

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:53 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

It's this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389307127.450268.jpg

Yes that's the Jet sled XL.

That's bad ass...
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:54 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
RonE wrote:Rex, this should solve all of your problems. For long overland journeys, use a bicycle wheeled deer carrier and put this on top.

In foot deep water with 6" or mud? No thanks.

That's why he said over land.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:36 pm

I don't do much overland shooting unless I'm pass shooting geese.
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm

R. Chapman wrote:I don't do much overland shooting unless I'm pass shooting geese.

Me either. But I still have a couple spots where I have to walk 1/4 to 1/2 mile across muck and sand to get to water. I'm making a 3 wheeled cart to set my jet sled in for next season.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 pm

I hate fuckin around with game carts. A buddy of mine a couple years ago thought it would take no time to get his spike out whole. Dealt with flats on both tires and took a lot of work for only a half mile that would have taken 2 hours to drag but no! Instead of 2 hours dragging, we spent 2 hours trying to strap the damn thing down and another 2 and a half hours just to get him out.
image.jpg
R. Chapman

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:46 pm

R. Chapman wrote:I hate fuckin around with game carts. A buddy of mine a couple years ago thought it would take no time to get his spike out whole. Dealt with flats on both tires and took a lot of work for only a half mile that would have taken 2 hours to drag but no! Instead of 2 hours dragging, we spent 2 hours trying to strap the damn thing down and another 2 and a half hours just to get him out.
image.jpg

Not a spike, clearly a 0x0.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Unclearly to you, your blind...
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:51 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:I hate fuckin around with game carts. A buddy of mine a couple years ago thought it would take no time to get his spike out whole. Dealt with flats on both tires and took a lot of work for only a half mile that would have taken 2 hours to drag but no! Instead of 2 hours dragging, we spent 2 hours trying to strap the damn thing down and another 2 and a half hours just to get him out.
image.jpg

Not a spike, clearly a 0x0.

With double eye guards.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Next

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum