GPS

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

GPS

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:00 am

I'm looking at getting a handheld GPS unit to use for finding blind locations, use as a "map maker" for boat rides, maybe some geocaching, and to use on the trails.

Any recomendations? I've been looking at the Garmin eTrex 10 and 20. Anybody have one of these? Have something better?
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Re: GPS

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 am

My GPs is a Garmin Rhino 120. Like the dickens out of it. Can't speak for any other. Mostly familiar with the Rhino line.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I'm looking at getting a handheld GPS unit to use for finding blind locations, use as a "map maker" for boat rides, maybe some geocaching, and to use on the trails.

Any recomendations? I've been looking at the Garmin eTrex 10 and 20. Anybody have one of these? Have something better?

Oregon 450 is a the best of the 2 I've owned. Had a Magellin(spelling?) and wasn't a fan at all.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:57 am

Should say I'm not spending hundreds on a unit. $200 would be stretching it for my first one...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Olly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:08 am

For $200 of need to look on eBay.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 am

Older Magellan explorist line of handhelds are very good and cheaper because they are older.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:10 am

The eTrex 10 can be had for $90 new. The 20 is double.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby hudson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 am

Oregon 450 is where it's at.i also got the birds eye satellite which is awesome too
hudson

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:01 pm

Olly wrote:Older Magellan explorist line of handhelds are very good and cheaper because they are older.

Is there a model number that is "better" than others, or one that I should look for specifically?

I found the 400 (white one) for cheap, but you can't replace the batteries...I think replaceable batteries would be nice if on a trail for a few days.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Olly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Olly wrote:Older Magellan explorist line of handhelds are very good and cheaper because they are older.

Is there a model number that is "better" than others, or one that I should look for specifically?

I found the 400 (white one) for cheap, but you can't replace the batteries...I think replaceable batteries would be nice if on a trail for a few days.

Go for the 500 I've seen them for less than 60 bucks on eBay. It's what I still use.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Budgeting $200 for GPS is like budgeting $4 for a pizza. Throw a few more hundred and get an accurate one that's easy to use and got an assload of cartography already on it
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:42 pm

I've gone my whole life without one, and don't even know what I really want. I sure as hell won't be dropping $700 to find out I'm missing features that I want, and have a ton that I'll never use.
Last edited by Feelin' Fowl on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jehler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I've gone my while life without one, and don't even know what I really want. I sure as hell won't be dropping $700 to find out I'm missing features that I want, and have a ton that I'll never use.

you run a boat or no?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:00 pm

jehler wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I've gone my while life without one, and don't even know what I really want. I sure as hell won't be dropping $700 to find out I'm missing features that I want, and have a ton that I'll never use.

you run a boat or no?

Not right now. I paddle a little, and will run a boat when the right time comes...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jehler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jehler wrote:

you run a boat or no?

Not right now. I paddle a little, and will run a boat when the right time comes...

gotcha, all my gps experience revolves around chartplotters and lake chart cartography, i really have no experience with their use for other things.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:21 pm

Olly wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Go for the 500 I've seen them for less than 60 bucks on eBay. It's what I still use.

X2
I had this one as well. The rechargeable li-ion battery saved me some money, and the battery life was decent too.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 pm

jehler wrote:Budgeting $200 for GPS is like budgeting $4 for a pizza. Throw a few more hundred and get an accurate one that's easy to use and got an assload of cartography already on it
WRONG.

I almost never disagree with John but this time...
I was gifted a Garmin Etrex Vista which is the model just one above the cheapest one Garmin makes.
I have used the etrex 10 and prefer it.
In fact, buy one and I will trade you the nicer one I have.
I really prefer the cheaper one, Itś user friendly as hell, don´t need ¨maps¨ loaded into it and works!
All we need as hunters is the ability to mark, make ¨tracks¨, and follow the tracks in the dark or FOG.
Make damned sure whatever you get has a feature called TRACKBACK
The etrex 10 does all that but won´t let you do what Olly did unless you buy special software for your PC.

You do not need a fucking $500 gps to find a hole at Big Lake.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 pm

FF, if you would ever like to borrow my GPS and play with it, figure out if you like it, just say the word.

I have something with your name on it...
aunt betty

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:31 pm

:thumbsup:

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:32 am

R. Chapman wrote:My GPs is a Garmin Rhino 120. Like the dickens out of it. Can't speak for any other. Mostly familiar with the Rhino line.

The screen is tiny on the 120. I used one my friend had this past elk season so we could have radio and text contact. It was about one of the worst map quality I've seen. If you zoom on the map, the screen is so small you can't tell where the hell you are and when you pan back out you lose all the definition on the topo function.
The Oregon GPS is a bigger screen and more current for software purposes. it's also color capable depending on the model.
QH's Paw

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 am

Just buy this..@
You know...in case you want to go sky diving. It has a function for that.
:)Image
aunt betty

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks for the help boys. I went with the explorist 500.

As has been stated the software is a bit dated. I had to install it in compatability mode for XP (From Windows 7), and I was able to get the Topo maps running, and even started creating regions.

When I saved the file to my hard drive so that I could transfer it to an SD card, the conversion manager can't find the SD card.

Any tips to get my maps loaded into the GPS after they have been created? I'm about googled out on this one...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum