Face paint

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Face paint

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:31 am

It's real good stuff. You can dance, sing, shuck corn, hoe beans and ducks won't even notice you at all.
If you think men who use makeup look like clowns I am here to say you're wrong@.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Face paint

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 am

I don't think it the paint.

In all seriousness, face paint or face mask work. I was skeptical until one hunt this season. Kinda sparse cover, but I was up against a tree with a lot of overhanging branches. I would watch the ducks circle and even through the branches they would flare when they got above me. After about an hour of trying everything I was getting pissed. Put black face paint on my face, no more problem. Killed my 4 mallards in about an hour after that with no other changes.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:58 am

Nuff keep your face down and watch with your eyes. It's crazy how much credit some of y'all give those dumbass birds.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3geese4me » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 am

rebelp74 wrote:Nuff keep your face down and watch with your eyes. It's crazy how much credit some of y'all give those dumbass birds.

Yep, I've got geese in wheat fields wearing blue jeans and a brown jacket. Just stayed still and hid my face.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:03 am

3geese4me wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Nuff keep your face down and watch with your eyes. It's crazy how much credit some of y'all give those dumbass birds.

Yep, I've got geese in wheat fields wearing blue jeans and a brown jacket. Just stayed still and hid my face.

So sayeth the Gander Commander. I'm not buying camo again.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3geese4me » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:08 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
3geese4me wrote:

So sayeth the Gander Commander. I'm not buying camo again.

It's nice to finally get some recognition.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:23 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391099002.828320.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:39 pm

I only look enough to see the birds. Don't know what else to say other than I'm convinced you need your face covered or 100% down.
Will all due respect, do you get many mallards where you hunt?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:40 pm

3geese4me wrote:

But I bet you've had some flare because one layout wasn't brushed quite good enough too.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:24 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

I only look enough to see the birds. Don't know what else to say other than I'm convinced you need your face covered or 100% down.

Typically yes, this season was slower on mallards than any I can remember but still managed a few.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:33 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Typically yes, this season was slower on mallards than any I can remember but still managed a few.

I've never really noticed it matter if my face was covered or not for any other bird than a mallard. And it only seemed to matter on open water shoreline, not so much inland marshes. But I will always keep my face covered and so will the people hunting with me, or they will stare at the water.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I've never really noticed it matter if my face was covered or not for any other bird than a mallard. And it only seemed to matter on open water shoreline, not so much inland marshes. But I will always keep my face covered and so will the people hunting with me, or they will stare at the water.

To each their own, but you're giving them way too much credit.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

To each their own, but you're giving them way too much credit.

Only where it's due. You'd think a duck would care about a big cedar bush in the middle of the water, but it sure doesn't seem to stop them. All my diver seeks are just rattle can white in the middle and black on the head and tail.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 pm

I find it a hell of a lot easier to kill birds with parties that "give the birds too much credit" than too little. Not a fan of face paint, because so many who wear it act like they're going to war with unarmed birds, but love it when my guys pull out masks. Makes it a whole lot easier for them to enjoy the show and not have to search for targets when it's time shoot.

Since we're generally hunting out of pits, I ask unmasked folks to do their watching out from under the bills of their hats with their faces close to the pit's front wall, but even if they don't get complacent and start mooning birds from farther back in the pit (which 90-some% do), it's not as good as masks that don't contrast with our cover. If my guys aren't wearing masks, I probably won't, either. But you can bet my face will be hidden by a pit wall or my camouflaged left arm. When hunting by myself in anything less than ideal cover, it's a very safe bet I'll be "giving the birds too much credit" and wearing a mask. Don't just want to kill the ones that come in on the short buss.
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 pm

Rick wrote:I find it a hell of a lot easier to kill birds with parties that "give the birds too much credit" than too little. Not a fan of face paint, because so many who wear it act like they're going to war with unarmed birds, but love it when my guys pull out masks. Makes it a whole lot easier for them to enjoy the show and not have to search for targets when it's time shoot.

Since we're generally hunting out of pits, I ask unmasked folks to do their watching out from under the bills of their hats with their faces close to the pit's front wall, but even if they don't get complacent and start mooning birds from farther back in the pit (which 90-some% do), it's not as good as masks that don't contrast with our cover. If my guys aren't wearing masks, I probably won't, either. But you can bet my face will be hidden by a pit wall or my camouflaged left arm. When hunting by myself in anything less than ideal cover, it's a very safe bet I'll be "giving the birds too much credit" and wearing a mask. Don't just want to kill the ones that come in on the short buss.
x2
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:45 pm

I can't stand a mask, but that's probably because I smoke. I much prefer burnt cork.
assateague

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm still mourning the loss of a "spitter's mask" a veterinarian friend who dips gave me some years back. Had his wife cut out a 2" notch from bottom up to just below the nose and hem its edges with a thin cotton strip. Great mask for calling, too, and I'd think it the berries for smoking, too. Tried to get the Haydels, who he's tight with, to produce and sell them but without any luck. But someone oughta...
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:25 pm

assateague wrote:I can't stand a mask, but that's probably because I smoke. I much prefer burnt cork.

i don't smoke, but I hate masks too. I've always used face paint because that's what we always used at deer camp. I'm going to give the cork a shot this next season though. Face paint is a bitch to clean up.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:38 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:I can't stand a mask, but that's probably because I smoke. I much prefer burnt cork.

i don't smoke, but I hate masks too. I've always used face paint because that's what we always used at deer camp. I'm going to give the cork a shot this next season though. Face paint is a bitch to clean up.

Cork can be too. Of the two I prefer cork though because it takes longer to rub off and doesn't smudge on your gun.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm

I just use whatever mud is at the spot to cover my face, why pay for paint when nature gives you her own?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:56 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:I just use whatever mud is at the spot to cover my face, why pay for paint when nature gives you her own?

No mud where I hunt
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:00 pm

Mud stinks and makes you itch.
assateague

Postby bill herian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:10 pm

I've never worn a face mask that didn't make my nose run. Can't stand them.

Typically I just shoot the ones that get off the short bus. I ain't too proud.
bill herian

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Burnt wine cork...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 pm

bill herian wrote:I've never worn a face mask that didn't make my nose run. Can't stand them.

Typically I just shoot the ones that get off the short bus. I ain't too proud.

Same here to hell with a facemask or paint. I do have an old half burnt wine cork in one of my jackets but it hasn't been used i na while.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby RickC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:32 pm

I scrounged enough wine corks to last a few years plus scrap from carving I'd never run out. I much prefer it over paint. I'll usually use that until the temps hit our usual lows and then use a fleece lined mask if the winds are up.
RickC

Postby jehler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:38 am

I can't wear anything over my face, it would clash with my sweater
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:42 am

jehler wrote:I can't wear anything over my face, it would clash with my sweater

Squaw always try and land in my boat when we are perch fishing late fall.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:15 am

assateague wrote:Mud stinks and makes you itch.

You must have had vagina skin grafted over your face.
The mud down here smells of rich mahogany and I'm always getting compliments on my complexion during duck season.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:25 am

It might've happened through osmosis.
assateague

Next

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum