Bufflehead Drake

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Bufflehead Drake

Postby Baysider » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 am

Finished this one last night, or I should say this morning. Im donating this one for a raffle to benifit the Harbor Assoc in my town. They pay to keep up the ramp and the watermen's dock so I figured I'd domy part to support public access. I also use the ramp more than most, haha. Hope it sells some tickets.
Sorry for the crappy cell pic, and yes, I am a minute rice pro staffer. :lol:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Re: Bufflehead Drake

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:58 am

That thing looks slick! Someday I'll try my hand at one. BTW, how did the shoot go?
assateague

Postby JGUN » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:01 am

Nice! Hope it sells some tickets.
JGUN

Postby Baysider » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks J.

The shoot went great. Good food and group to hang with. My shoulder is still a bit bruised. Shooting the 10ga is much different with a t shirt on. :lol: I shouldered my 12 and let my son pull the trigger on a skeet and we actually hit it. He also got to shoot a .22 a couple times. He was a proud man after that.
Baysider

Postby Bufflehead » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:04 am

nice looking bufflehead.
Bufflehead

Postby doublenasty » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:55 pm

that is a clean looking buffle head i am actually interested in making some decoys myself!!! what wood do you do etc...
"IF IT FLIES IT DIES, IF IT SITS IT DIES TOO!!!!"
doublenasty

Postby Baysider » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks NC.

doublenasty wrote:that is a clean looking buffle head i am actually interested in making some decoys myself!!! what wood do you do etc...

I use white or northern cedar. White pine can also be used. Basswood is a good clean carving wood but its much heavier and harder. Its better suited for mantle pieces where very fine detail is needed.
If you want to get into carving gunners I would suggest Grayson Chesser's book, "Carving the Century Old Way". You can find it on amazon. Its about the best book and easiest to follow from start to finish and he gives the paint schedules for some divers, puddle ducks, and geese.
If you've never worked with wood before you may want to try Willie at the Duck Blind Store. He has cork kits that will contain everything you need to get started. Ive never worked with cork but I hear it much easier to shape and good for someone just starting off.
Baysider

Postby JGUN » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 am

Baysider wrote:Thanks NC.

doublenasty wrote:that is a clean looking buffle head i am actually interested in making some decoys myself!!! what wood do you do etc...

I use white or northern cedar. White pine can also be used. Basswood is a good clean carving wood but its much heavier and harder. Its better suited for mantle pieces where very fine detail is needed.
If you want to get into carving gunners I would suggest Grayson Chesser's book, "Carving the Century Old Way". You can find it on amazon. Its about the best book and easiest to follow from start to finish and he gives the paint schedules for some divers, puddle ducks, and geese.
If you've never worked with wood before you may want to try Willie at the Duck Blind Store. He has cork kits that will contain everything you need to get started. Ive never worked with cork but I hear it much easier to shape and good for someone just starting off.

X2 on the cork and Willy at The duck blind. I highly recommend taking his carving classes if you get a chance too.
JGUN

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum