Is a parka used in your layering?

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Is a parka used in your layering?

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:50 am

I never liked wearing a few layers and a big parka. Always made me feel sluggish. My layering is basic but warm, even when it's in the negatives. It varies on how much I wear but you guys get the idea.

Top:
TankTop
Long John Top
Long Sleeve Shirt
Thin wicker
Hoodless sweatshirt
Hooded sweatshirt (UnderArmour)

Bottom:
Long John Bottoms
Bedtime pants
Sweatpants
Atheletic socks
Super wool socks (x2 whe it's super cold out)
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Re: Is a parka used in your layering?

Postby RonE » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 am

Rainbow sandals

Boxer shorts
Columbia fishing shorts

Columbia fishing shirt

Sun Screen

Costa Del Mar 580 mirror lenses

Hightest Retrievers cap

Layered up for fishing.....starts soon
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Woody » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 am

RonE wrote:Rainbow sandals

Boxer shorts
Columbia fishing shorts

Columbia fishing shirt

Sun Screen

Costa Del Mar 580 mirror lenses

Hightest Retrievers cap

Layered up for fishing.....starts soon

I'm starting to get antsy, spring is still a month away up here and thoughts of deep water are starting to keep me up at night.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:02 pm

UA cold gear or long sleeve shirt depending on temp.

Fleece turtle neck if it's cold.
2 if it's really cold.

Drake 1/4zip. :-D

Wader jacket when it's cold.

Fleece pants and wool socks on bottom no matter what the temp is.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 pm

I just wear thermals and a long sleeve shirt. Then my mountain hardwear fleece. Then a mid season eqwader pullover. Has kept me warm down to 14 degrees. Two pairs of wool socks too.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:16 pm

R. Chapman wrote:I never liked wearing a few layers and a big parka. Always made me feel sluggish. My layering is basic but warm, even when it's in the negatives. It varies on how much I wear but you guys get the idea.

Top:
TankTop
Long John Top
Long Sleeve Shirt
Thin wicker
Hoodless sweatshirt

Bottom:
Long John Bottoms
Bedtime pants
Sweatpants
Atheletic socks

I haven't wore that many layers ever. Id guess -15° was the coldest I hunted in this year and for top half I wore a thermal shirt with a tshirt then a drake late season wader shirt pullover.
You really bundle up.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:17 pm

I liked living up there but I would bundle up too. Love the cold but fuck BEING cold.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:I never liked wearing a few layers and a big parka. Always made me feel sluggish. My layering is basic but warm, even when it's in the negatives. It varies on how much I wear but you guys get the idea.

Top:
TankTop
Long John Top
Long Sleeve Shirt
Thin wicker
Hoodless sweatshirt

Bottom:
Long John Bottoms
Bedtime pants
Sweatpants
Atheletic socks

I haven't wore that many layers ever. Id guess -15° was the coldest I hunted in this year and for top half I wore a thermal shirt with a tshirt then a drake late season wader shirt pullover.
You really bundle up.

I learned my lesson a long time ago... :lol:
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

I wear an early season pullover then switch to the late season when it gets cold. If it really gets cold I wear a beanie.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 pm

I have a Cabela's 4 in 1 coat, that I used 2 or 3 times in the last 4 years. I understand the need to layer, but you're over doing it.

You could try my trick, and gain some weight :lol:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 pm

You don't even want to know the layers I've put on for deer hunting.
At least 8 layers on top and I had minimal movement in my arms. I think this year was the coldest I've ever sat for a length if time. Was -12 actual with a stiff 20mph wind hitting me right in the face 25 foot up a tree. Never saw a damn deer.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I have a Cabela's 4 in 1 coat, that I used 2 or 3 times in the last 4 years. I understand the need to layer, but you're over doing it.

I've tried, believe me. My buddies and their parents don't like it when I come over because I eat about half the dinner they made.
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:59 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I have a Cabela's 4 in 1 coat, that I used 2 or 3 times in the last 4 years. I understand the need to layer, but you're over doing it.

I've tried, believe me. My buddies and their parents don't like it when I come over because I eat about half the dinner they made.

Try gaining weight at home then...
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

:lol:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

Yeah...about that...my family hates me at the table to. :lol:
R. Chapman

Postby Bufflehead » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:09 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

:lol:
Bufflehead

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:13 am

I use a Drake EST ("early season") pullover parka as an outside layer any time its cool enough for it and not raining. Not worth a flip for rain, but makes a good windbreaker with a high collar and, most important to me, pouch type lower front pocket that holds stuff I might want quick access to and doubles as a hand warmer "muff" when I've Zippo hand warmers in it. When it's raining I'll top it with a Helly Hansen "Guide Coat" that's super design includes side zippers that let me use the parka's pouch without getting soaked.

What goes underneath depends, but something I rely on and haven't seen in this thread are fleece vests for core warmth without binding up my arms.
Rick

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28 am

R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

Wait another ten years... It'll catch up with you. I used to be thin and eat tons of food when i was your age only weighed 120 lbs. Whatever I wanted, kept doing that plus add beer into the equation I'm at 200 pounds now and it ain't muscle. It's a big ole beer gut, a gobbler on my neck and a fat ass. be careful what you wish for Rex.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

Wait another ten years... It'll catch up with you. I used to be thin and eat tons of food when i was your age only weighed 120 lbs. Whatever I wanted, kept doing that plus add beer into the equation I'm at 200 pounds now and it ain't muscle. It's a big ole beer gut, a gobbler on my neck and a fat ass. be careful what you wish for Rex.

Probably right. I eat a lot of home cooked foods. The only bad habit I have is drinking can of coke everyday.
R. Chapman

Postby Deltaman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Usually wear silk long johns top and bottom to start, but if really cold, will upgrade to Underarmour long johns as a base. Then layer long cotton thermal top, long sleeve camo shirt and a good camo coat (unsure of brand, but it ain't fancy). Just wear pants over my long john bottoms, and hip boots over that. If concerned with spray from the boat ride, will overlay a Helly Hansen camo jacket and bib bottom. Mid teens is about as cold as it gets here, and it is nice to have freedom of movement and still stay warm.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Deltaman wrote:Usually wear silk long johns top and bottom to start, but if really cold, will upgrade to Underarmour long johns as a base. Then layer long cotton thermal top, long sleeve camo shirt and a good camo coat (unsure of brand, but it ain't fancy). Just wear pants over my long john bottoms, and hip boots over that. If concerned with spray from the boat ride, will overlay a Helly Hansen camo jacket and bib bottom. Mid teens is about as cold as it gets here, and it is nice to have freedom of movement and still stay warm.

I've always have enough movement when I'm layered like I do. It can get as cold as -30 and still be open water because of the hotsprings.
R. Chapman

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:19 pm

I have a heated duck blind.
I wear whatever is dry.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:23 pm

How can all you guys tell this kid he's over doing it?

Wouldn't temperature comfort be unique to everyone?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:20 pm

aunt betty wrote:I have a heated duck blind.
I wear whatever is dry.

Lucky bastard, I'm lucky if my truck has heat running before I get to the lake. :lol:
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
I wear whatever is dry.

Lucky bastard, I'm lucky if my truck has heat running before I get to the lake. :lol:

My car was stuck on medium heat all summer, the right around Christmas it decided to switch and blow cold air all the time. So I've been putting on 4 layers to get to school all winter.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
I wear whatever is dry.

My car was stuck on medium heat all summer, the right around Christmas it decided to switch and blow cold air all the time. So I've been putting on 4 layers to get to school all winter.

Better get that checked out...
R. Chapman

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Sexy wool pants and a sexy wool sweater....HOT!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
I wear whatever is dry.

Better get that checked out...

As long as it stays cold for summer I don't give a shit. Heat blowing on a 80* rainy day sucks.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Olly wrote:How can all you guys tell this kid he's over doing it?

What about onsies?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:How can all you guys tell this kid he's over doing it?

What about onsies?

Nothing sexier
Olly
WFF Administrator

Next

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum