Just when you think...

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: Just when you think...

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:41 am

R. Chapman wrote:The problem is you don't always get on the X. Especially on public land.

And that's why God made calls and small spreads. Every whacker out there thinks more decoys and spinners are the answers and ends up humping or hauling about as many of them as most every other whacker out there and winds up looking just like the last however-many places that blew up on the birds.
Rick

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 am

Rick wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:The problem is you don't always get on the X. Especially on public land.

And that's why God made calls and small spreads. Every whacker out there thinks more decoys and spinners are the answers and ends up humping or hauling about as many of them as most every other whacker out there and winds up looking just like the last however-many places that blew up on the birds.

Believe me, I've tried small spreads and good calling, but damn you just can't get the birds attention here. You'd have to show me how this works for you.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:59 am

R. Chapman wrote:
Rick wrote:

Believe me, I've tried small spreads and good calling, but damn you just can't get the birds attention here. You'd have to show me how this works for you.

Begs the question, what was your "good calling"?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Rick wrote:

Begs the question, what was your "good calling"?

Not the best caller but alright to decent.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:38 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
Rick wrote:

You'll learn what you're doing wrong with experience, it's the only way to get better. I've hunted in MT for five years, in 3 different areas of the state. I noticed the birds being dumb and usually easy to decoy.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:43 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Rick wrote:

You'll learn what you're doing wrong with experience, it's the only way to get better. I've hunted in MT for five years, in 3 different areas of the state. I noticed the birds being dumb and usually easy to decoy.

You hunt the eat end of the state right?
R. Chapman

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:52 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Rick wrote:

You hunt the eat end of the state right?

From south central to northeast
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:12 pm

I don't care which end of the state you're on, you're still just about stomping eggs. But tell yourself they can't be called, and go haul decoys. Ain't my back.
Rick

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Rick wrote:I don't care which end of the state you're on, you're still just about stomping eggs. But tell yourself they can't be called, and go haul decoys. Ain't my back.

Rick, you'd seriously have to show me how you do. I've never had good success with small spreads. I'm nowhere near a great caller or even good.
R. Chapman

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:29 pm

I can't really "show" you without being there, but I can get you started, and the birds will then show you - if you pay attention to them. Right now, I'm taking a "lunch" break from a miserable plumbing and carpentry project and in a foul, rather than fowl, mood, but I will get to it.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Rex check in on D&B's calling thread on the puddle duck forum. Seemed a better place for such discussion than here in the gear one.
Rick

Previous

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum