campers

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

campers

Postby gila-river » Tue May 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Looking into getting a small camper or even a pop-up type this summer. any of you fellas have one? input?
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Re: campers

Postby aunt betty » Tue May 27, 2014 5:07 pm

gila-river wrote:Looking into getting a small camper or even a pop-up type this summer. any of you fellas have one? input?

I'll go first.
I have some friends who hunt in semo. We formed a club, then signed up a dog hater, so I quit.

Those guys bought pop-up campers that slide into a pickup. They had all sorts of trouble with condensation on the pop up part. Also had mice trouble and I mean rats.

I would not suggest a pop up for winter use.

Look for something more substantial like one of the older mallard brand campers.

Hope this helps. I use a tent but as a kid my family had campers. My dad worked up from a tiny Winnebago brave up to where he had a 40' pace arrow.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 pm

gila-river wrote:Looking into getting a small camper or even a pop-up type this summer. any of you fellas have one? input?

Dont buy new, the markup on rvs is insane. Let someone else take the big hit on depreciation.
Look for water damage type rot at leaky seams in the walls or roof.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Tue May 27, 2014 10:18 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Dont buy new, the markup on rvs is insane. Let someone else take the big hit on depreciation.

I was looking at them as well and seen this first hand. When we buy one next fall we will buy a 2 year old camper and save money.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby gila-river » Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 pm

3geese4me wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

I was looking at them as well and seen this first hand. When we buy one next fall we will buy a 2 year old camper and save money.

Ya I'm definetly looking for used. Craigslist is loaded up with em.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue May 27, 2014 10:47 pm

What got me to thinking its so marked up is when I see the travelling rv sales come through town and trying to fathom the costs involved in moving 150 camp trailers from town to town to town. Then they rent space at the fairgrounds for 10 days to do the sale, sales staff.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Tue May 27, 2014 10:52 pm

I got a used Lance camper that slides into my pickup. It has a slide on one side and that creates a lot of room. It's great because I can still pull a boat or trailer.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue May 27, 2014 11:00 pm

AKPirate wrote:I got a used Lance camper that slides into my pickup. It has a slide on one side and that creates a lot of room. It's great because I can still pull a boat or trailer.

I was actually really surprised how roomy those campers can be with a slide out.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Tue May 27, 2014 11:02 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:I got a used Lance camper that slides into my pickup. It has a slide on one side and that creates a lot of room. It's great because I can still pull a boat or trailer.

I was actually really surprised how roomy those campers can be with a slide out.

Only way to go. I would get them on an RV and a trailer as well. Makes a big difference
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed May 28, 2014 12:11 am

AKPirate wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Only way to go. I would get them on an RV and a trailer as well. Makes a big difference

My trailer is a '98 and doesn't have one, gets cramped. Always hit my damn head on the a/c too.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Ajverret » Wed May 28, 2014 12:25 am

Go big or go home Lol I have a 28' avenger with a super slide can sleep 10-12
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 28, 2014 2:58 pm

I want one bad but will settle for a simple topper.
Don't need bells and whistles to hunt ducks. Taking down and putting up a camper daily to travel to the boat launch is why I must use a topper. Leave my stuff in a tent and go at 3:30 am. Zoom.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby gila-river » Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 pm

We don't have extreme weather . The more we talk about it looks like we're going the pop up route.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby 3geese4me » Wed May 28, 2014 9:57 pm

gila-river wrote:We don't have extreme weather . The more we talk about it looks like we're going the pop up route.

They can be had around here for 5-6k used. If our weather wasn't so drastic, I'd entertain getting one.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby gila-river » Wed May 28, 2014 9:59 pm

3geese4me wrote:
gila-river wrote:We don't have extreme weather . The more we talk about it looks like we're going the pop up route.

They can be had around here for 5-6k used. If our weather wasn't so drastic, I'd entertain getting one.

My wife wants to restore one together. I've seen them from 3k all the way to 9k in decent shape.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum