Homemade DIY Pulsator Duck Decoy

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Homemade DIY Pulsator Duck Decoy

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:14 pm

So I've been meaning to do one of these for a long time and finally got it done. Very simple to build. I didn't take photos will building it but I will list my parts list, some photos, a video, and a a wiring diagram.

Yes I know I still need to paint the can and the cord. I would have used a brown cord but I had the white on hand so it was cheaper.

Parts used:

Used duck decoy
Used 500gph bilge pump
Automotive signal flasher
12v 7ah battery
Paint can
Used extension cord
Female terminal clips
2 pole waterproof screw on connector

Tools used:
Soldering iron
Wire Strippers/crimpers
Heat shrink
Heat gun
Sawzall
Hot glue gun

IMG_20140926_160417094.jpg

IMG_20140926_160318449.jpg

IMG_20140926_160309941.jpg

IMG_20140926_160340608.jpg

IMG_20140926_160258204.jpg

This connector can be found on eBay

duck_wiring.jpg

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: Homemade DIY Pulsator Duck Decoy

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:22 pm

My brother just got done building one but we used a pintail butt instead. It swims around like yours but is cocking back pretty hard when it pulsates. Time will tell what kind of fix I come up with for that.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:24 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:My brother just got done building one but we used a pintail butt instead. It swims around like yours but is cocking back pretty hard when it pulsates. Time will tell what kind of fix I come up with for that.

I would have used a duck butt too but the name of this game was cheap and as long as it creates some white water and moves around I don't guess it would matter too much.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:25 pm

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:My brother just got done building one but we used a pintail butt instead. It swims around like yours but is cocking back pretty hard when it pulsates. Time will tell what kind of fix I come up with for that.

I would have used a duck butt too but the name of this game was cheap and as long as it creates some white water and moves around I don't guess it would matter too much.

Nah I'm liking what you did. More stable design.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Steele22 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Damn that's a good idea and looks like a simple build for what those cost. Nice work
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby capt1972 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:15 pm

clean your bathroom
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:58 am

Sweet. Need to make one of these.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby derbyfreak » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:06 pm

How long do your flashers last. Ive tried two different kinds and after about 3 minutes they stopped working and would only work if a tapped the flasher with me finger. I have it wired just like all the diagrams have showed,dont know what I'm doing wrong :?:
derbyfreak

Postby capt1972 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:15 pm

derbyfreak wrote:How long do your flashers last. Ive tried two different kinds and after about 3 minutes they stopped working and would only work if a tapped the flasher with me finger. I have it wired just like all the diagrams have showed,dont know what I'm doing wrong :?:

is your flasher rated for 12v? If its rated for less it will burn out very fast!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby derbyfreak » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:27 pm

don't remember what the first one was, but the second one was the 552 flasher which I see most people using
derbyfreak

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Spent way too much time fiddling around with the "squirter" decoy and feel like it was a waste of time and not worth the effort. Jerk rig makes way way more ripples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BoHQp0LSDE
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum