Condensation in waders?

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: Condensation in waders?

Postby Duckdog » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Duckdog wrote:This is the one I have, and it works great.
I don't have the wader extensions, but when the waders are rolled down, most of the leg is now on the outside anyway, so I just put a fan on them.
It works really well...

Apparently I forgot the link...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 748996.uts
Duckdog

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Olly wrote:Just hang them up in the garage with a box-fan pointed up at them, the air doesn't need to be warm moving in the waders.

I've never used a dry for my waders and hanging them alone does the job.

Mine won't dry in the boots between hunts without putting them on the dryer.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:21 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:Just hang them up in the garage with a box-fan pointed up at them, the air doesn't need to be warm moving in the waders.

It takes a week for mine to dry out thoroughly on their own.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

It takes a week for mine to dry out thoroughly on their own.

Thst would be about right. And when I hunt 3-4 days in a row they got pretty nasty inside. I found an old boot dryer last year my dad had from a while ago. Plugged it in and works awesome.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby IndianaYakFish » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:29 am

Before I purchased a boot dryer (a must have item and worth every penny), I used to shove my waders full of wadded up newspaper and hang them upside down in the basement (our basement is pretty dry). I can't remember where I read about doing that, but it worked okay. The newspaper draws out some of the moisture. Not all of it, but some. Just another idea, but really, go buy a boot dryer. You won't regret it.
-Jameson
"I intend to learn to call waterfowl even if in the process I offend every ear in the country—and I just might."—Gene Hill
IndianaYakFish

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:44 am

IndianaMallard64 wrote:why don't you stop being a little girl and open up your pockets for a new pair. lesson learned don't let your waders sit in your bed all night and freeze. Peace :scooter:

Thankyou for the sound advice brah.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Too much heat can cause damage to your waders as well fyi
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby blockmaker » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:55 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
blockmaker wrote:I use a homemade boot dryer. Built a box that fits over my floor register, cut holes big enough for 3" PVC pipe. Slide waders over and they will be perfectly dry and warm the next day.
Flint I bet your waders had some trapped moisture from sweat and condensate. But having them wet and froze will ruin them eventually.

That's a great idea... Does it stand pretty easily on it's own?
I'm thinking maybe weather stripping around the bottom to seal it to the floor.

My floor is carpet do it seals it fairly well. I made box about six inches wider and longer for a little extra stability. It works very well. Been doing this for 25 years and I hunt some rough stuff. My previous pair of waders lasted 5 years. I normally get 3 to 5 years out of a pair. But there is one trick I do after I hang them up every time to dry wich is at least three times a week is spray them down with Lucas oil rubber protector (armor all)
blockmaker

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:52 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
IndianaMallard64 wrote:why don't you stop being a little girl and open up your pockets for a new pair. lesson learned don't let your waders sit in your bed all night and freeze. Peace :scooter:

Thankyou for the sound advice brah.

no problem. :beer: waders suck. too much cold, ruined. too much heat,ruined.
IndianaMallard64

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:54 am

If you gotta go in the water just take off your pants and go naked. couple benefits, it will wash off ur coin purse and staff and give it a nice swamp smell(ladys cant resist) and you dont have to worry about ruining waders. :ugeek:
IndianaMallard64

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:14 am

I dunno how cold it gets where you are, but I bet you could hear me squeal from your house the instant the water got above thigh high up here
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:29 am

Goldfish wrote:I dunno how cold it gets where you are, but I bet you could hear me squeal from your house the instant the water got above thigh high up here

It's best to just dive in. Done it many times with ice on the water. Just don't jump in on the damn side. That'll get you in trouble real quick.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:00 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Goldfish wrote:I dunno how cold it gets where you are, but I bet you could hear me squeal from your house the instant the water got above thigh high up here

It's best to just dive in. Done it many times with ice on the water. Just don't jump in on the damn side. That'll get you in trouble real quick.

Read a thread on another forum last weekend from a local guy who tipped his canoe on the river and lost a gun that had been handed down to him from his dad. The guy stripped down and went in after it with no luck and was by himself. It was 26 degrees here last Saturday AM. Haven't checked his thread but hoping the guy got back out there an found it this week since we've had temps in the 70s.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:28 pm

That guy should get a strong magnet and a string and drag the bottom with it
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Or not be a dumbass and keep his gun wither on his back with a sling or in a floating gun case. I've tested both different brands of floating gun cases I have just to make sure.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Olly wrote:Or not be a dumbass and keep his gun wither on his back with a sling or in a floating gun case. I've tested both different brands of floating gun cases I have just to make sure.

I was about to say something about the cases if you didn't include that last part. I was looking at one somewhere and there was a small disclaimer that the case would float by itself but would sink with a gun in it. Literally a floating gun case as advertised. :lol:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Previous

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum