Best blind bag

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Best blind bag

Postby Frylock » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Not the most glamorous piece of equipment we use but I'm sick of my bags tearing, leaking and just generally being being junk. Looking for something on the bigger side, not those purse size things, but not a damn suitcase either. What do you use and like?
Frylock

Re: Best blind bag

Postby Olly » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:46 pm

I love my flambeau hard bottom bag. I think it was a short run thing because I bought it at a 3rd rate sports store and cant find it anywhere else but it's been awesome.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:21 pm

I've been looking for a hard bottom bag but can't find one that isn't huge.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Flightstopper wrote:I've been looking for a hard bottom bag but can't find one that isn't huge.

Mine is def a boat bag. Not the kind I'd walk in with but also not a suitcase either. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would hike in with the bag I have.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flyway Stalker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:44 pm

I have the XL Drake blind bag, it's the best one I've ever used.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Flyway Stalker

Postby sws002 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Flyway Stalker wrote:I have the XL Drake blind bag, it's the best one I've ever used.

My buddy got one of these this year and he loves it as well.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Flyway Stalker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:56 pm

sws002 wrote:
Flyway Stalker wrote:I have the XL Drake blind bag, it's the best one I've ever used.

All the guys in my group use them and love em.
Flyway Stalker

Postby blockmaker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:57 pm

sws002 wrote:

Until the handle rips out and the zipper hangs up.
blockmaker

Postby simplepeddler » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:03 pm

I've just finally given up and gone with the Bone Collector dry box.......but I do not walk in
simplepeddler

Postby Bad17 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:08 pm

blockmaker wrote:
sws002 wrote:

Call drake and tell them what happened and they will send you a new one. I have had issues with waders leaking and they have always made it right.

I use the drake blind bag as well and absolutely love it. No complaints. Been using it for 3 seasons now.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Frylock » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the input, sounds like the drake bag is the most one then. I've seen the cabelas hard bottom bag but it's ridiculously large.
Frylock

Postby Frylock » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:44 pm

simplepeddler wrote:I've just finally given up and gone with the Bone Collector dry box.......but I do not walk in

That's really not a bad solution, but I'll never be able to stuff it behind the backrest of my layout blind.
Frylock

Postby Flyway Stalker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:30 am

blockmaker wrote:
sws002 wrote:

I haven't had any issues with anything ripping out, but it is true about the zipper, mine doesn't hang up, it just doesn't work. Can't say I have ever owned a bag that I didn't have a problem with the zipper though. Plastic zippers are just a poor choice for any application and you wont find a metal or brass one installed on anything other than clothing anymore.
I really haven't noticed any issue's with not being able to zip that one section anyway since I can still clip the top flap down over it. This is my 4th season with it.
Flyway Stalker

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:48 am

Had been using the Redhead (bass pro) blind bags since 2004 or so but this season finally had to replace it after zippers were shot. Another bag with a hard bottom was an absolute must for the way we hunt so that limited my options. Felt like a woman shopping for a purse, it was tough, but ended up going with the drake bag with the hard bottom and have been pleased. It's a lot like the redhead bag I had before

Cabelas makes some nice ones too but I didn't like the proportions, they were particularly tall.
Darren

Postby Bufflehead » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:56 am

I use a really old(probably close to 15 years) Avery blind bag but their new stuff doesn't last.
Bufflehead

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Keep those zippers sprayed down with Silicone and they will last much longer.
simplepeddler

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Drybox or day pack, depending on the situation.
Rick

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:36 pm

I use this one in the boat, size large - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... rPage%3D18

And an old Avery over the shoulder satchel for field/wade in hunts.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:47 pm

It's crazy what these bags cost.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Best blind bag

Postby triplecurl » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:55 pm

I've got a MadDog. Believe it's made by Stearns. It has a PVC lining in it so it's very waterproof. Reasonably priced as well. If I needed a new blind bag, I'd order another one just like it.
triplecurl

Postby Frylock » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Olly wrote:It's crazy what these bags cost.

No kidding
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420585532.357957.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Frylock

Best blind bag

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Unless that has a case of shells inside its rape
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:54 pm

TyrelPalmer wrote:So I know this is an old post that I'm "bringing back from the dead" but the bag I've been using as a blind bag is about to kick the bucket. it was a modified back that I had laying around and now I want a good waterproof bag. So does everybody still think that the drake bag is the way to go? I'm in SE AK in a temporal rain forest, we get over 130 inches of rain a year and I'm always hunting in the rain and near/in water. So floating would be nice, waterproof is practically a must. wanted to see if you guys still feel the same about the Drake bag and if anything else has come up. Thanks!

I'd like to get something like this. Two sizes, take your pick.
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DRW34S
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:41 am

Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:56 am

The best blind bags are made by ziplock. The freezer ones are tougher. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Throbbin Rods » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:01 am

I am still using a Final Approach floating hard bottom bag that I picked up somewhere in my travels. It isn't spectacular but it is decent. It works either in the boat or the blind/field.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Deltaman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:36 am

I'm still using a 40 year old 5-gal bucket with a swivel top :thumbsup: It ain't pretty, and the dimensions would probably not work for most, but the thing is water proof, and if there is 2" of water in the bottom of the boat, no worries of getting shells wet. It also doubles as a shitter. I fold up a trash bag and 3 paper towels in a Ziploc, and when nature calls, pretty damn sweet to be able to take a few things out of the bucket, line it with the trash bag, and sit in relative comfort. Was hunting South of Venice a few years ago, pushed up in the canes, when the urge hit :o No way to get out in the soft mud, and no way to hang it over the side without flipping, and was about to bust a gasket. Searching through my bucket, noticed I had a trash bag in there.............and ever since, have kept several "shit kits" in my bucket, and they have kept me from being miserable more than once!!!! If I am walking into an area, I've got a good vest (Filson-well worth the money), that I can pack what I need into for the trip, and it stays in the bucket as well.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Olly » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Olly wrote:I love my flambeau hard bottom bag. I think it was a short run thing because I bought it at a 3rd rate sports store and cant find it anywhere else but it's been awesome.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Next

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum