Fleece athletic wear

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Fleece athletic wear

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm sort of cheap and want to be warm and dry when I hunt. Found that wearing cheap fleece athletic clothes is the way to go. (under my waders and coat of course)
Look for pants and shirts at Walmart around this time of year. (it's marked down to like $5 for a shirt or pants)
The fleece clothes...if you do get wet you can take them off, ring em out, and they're pretty much dry again. (been there, done that)
Cotton is no good and I can't afford wool clothes.

Starter brand is usually available now for that el cheepo price.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Fleece athletic wear

Postby Archeryrob » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:07 am

Same here, for the price of one polartec pair of anything I can get several cheap fleece sets. The walmart stuff tends to fuzz ball like a cheap suit, but it will still last years.
Archeryrob

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:38 am

Archeryrob wrote:Same here, for the price of one polartec pair of anything I can get several cheap fleece sets. The walmart stuff tends to fuzz ball like a cheap suit, but it will still last years.

When you wash it use warm or cold water. Then hang it up. It dries really fast and the dryer is what fuzzes it all up.
Had to be taught myself. Fuzzy fleece sucks. Do the same with your wool socks and they stay fluffy and softer longer.
aunt betty

Postby team216 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:25 pm

I use to be a under amour guy, but it had a funny smell to it even after being washed. Maybe it was just me.
A few years ago I found a Rocky fleece turtle neck and fleece sweat pants at Walmart for like $10. That was like 5 years ago and they still work like new. I love fleece. It's warm, dries really fast (I've slipped under water more times than I would have cared to) fleece is the best way to go imo
team216

Postby Olly » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:56 pm

aunt betty wrote:I'm sort of cheap and want to be warm and dry when I hunt.

I don't know that "cheap" and "warm and dry" go together.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:52 am

Olly wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I'm sort of cheap and want to be warm and dry when I hunt.

I don't know that "cheap" and "warm and dry" go together.

They sure can where the topic at hand is concerned. And for outerwear on the cheap, I've found it good to be on Wing Supply's e-mailing list post season.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:26 am

Outerwear is different. I'll pay up the cash for good waders. Have a couple of them 4 in one wader jackets but get the most use out of the drake pullover I got.
Fleece is better than long underwear. I really hated the new under armor. Found some fleece jogging suits at Walmart one year sort of by accident. Bought it and learned real quick that it's soft, warm, don't hold water and is ideal. Better than anything I've ever worn. Fleece and neoprene wader combo is great. (for me)
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:48 am

aunt betty wrote:Outerwear is different. I'll pay up the cash for good waders. Have a couple of them 4 in one wader jackets but get the most use out of the drake pullover I got.

Drake's EST pullover is something I own two of (thanks in part to a deep Wing Supply discount when Max-4 was discontinued) and about, if not, the only Drake item I've found worth a hoot. My first one soaked through from day one and still leaked through the upper chest pockets after Nikwaxing shored up the rest of it pretty well, but other than not being any more waterproof than most other "breathable and waterproof" garments (Rivers West being the lone exception in my experience), it's a super well designed outer shell I wear any time it's cool enough to and not raining. And very often beneath a truly waterproof Helly Hanson "Guide Coat" when it is.
Rick

Postby Archeryrob » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:13 pm

aunt betty wrote:When you wash it use warm or cold water. Then hang it up. It dries really fast and the dryer is what fuzzes it all up.
Had to be taught myself. Fuzzy fleece sucks. Do the same with your wool socks and they stay fluffy and softer longer.

Thanks, I wash most myself, but sometimes the wife doe sit and she thinks all fleece and UA need to go in the dryer. Both me and kids get mad at her about it, but you know how women listen to men about the laundry.

Fabric softner on the towels too. Friggin cotton towel that leave you feeling like you need to air dry still. :lol:
Archeryrob

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum