A FEW NEW CALLS

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: A FEW NEW CALLS

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Some pretty ones in there.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:39 am

I don't see anything?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:45 am

Some pretty stabilized wood might have been axed for spamming.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:48 am

Ahh. Guess they weren't yours. I did pick up an Eastern Shoreman the other day. Always wanted one but they are so expensive. Found one 75% off and figured what the hell. You ever used flutes?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:27 pm

No, I missed the flutes. Have it in my head there was talk of them when I hunted the Eastern Shore in early '80s, but never saw one in the flesh there or in the Midwest before moving away from Canada country. And by the time we had enough Canadas to hunt down here, short-reeds were in vogue - and a very easy conversion from the predator/speck calls many of us initially used for them.

Folks say the flutes are ultra realistic, if not terribly versatile, but they're so physically clunky they'd be a nuisance on a lanyard with much else.
Rick

A FEW NEW CALLS

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:58 pm

I agree they are almost to big to mess with but I've never had an acrylic one so I went with it. My first goose call was a flute so it was worth it just off that. The only short reeds I've ever had were a RNT dirty bird and KP. Couldn't run either one of them right. Lol. Wish I hadn't traded the DB though.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:08 am

Doubt you'll find any of the SRs easier to run than the Dirty Bird, which I'm sure is part of the reason many think it the best Canada call RNT has made. Haven't had mine out of the drawer in quite a while, but whenever I pick it up, I'm surprised by it. Can't say the same about a Micro Goose SS I traded for a while back. Though, in fairness, I've not bothered to retune the SS to suit me. Still trying to get past the George Jetson design and feel of its wide flared insert.
Rick

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum