Mojo batteries

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Mojo batteries

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:33 pm

Just got out the old mathews motorized duck to test it out and could not get it working. :oops:
The two batteries I had were dead as doornails and would not take a charge.

This seems to be a pattern for me the past few seasons so I thought about it a minute. It hurt a little but it dawned on me that the last thing I'd ever do on the last day of the season was charge batteries. I packed up and drove home from like 45 degree weather into the deep freeze and dangit I bet I let them batteries froze.

The thing that keeps a lead-acid type battery from freeezing is being charged up. Charged up batteries won't freeze hardly but a dead one will freeze at 32 F like water. Same goes for car batteries. D'oh. I shoulda known. Had to go buy new ones.

Better check your mojos y'all. ;)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Mojo batteries

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:57 am

Thank you. I do charge my whirligig batteries at season's end and usually give them another lick during the off season. But with teal little more than a week away, I'd not had giving them a check/charge on my to-do list.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:53 am

I got one good battery. That old Mathews spinner keeps on going. Hard to believe how many times it's been dunked.
Better get a spare battery but first I gotta get motivated to actually go hunting.
So far it's not the right kinda weather or something.

Another little trick. Installed a mojo remote. Figured I better be prepared for it to get wet so I put it inside a zip-lock bag and then glued it shut with silicon. Stuffed it into the head of the spinner. It's been dunked and still works.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14 am

Rick wrote:Thank you. I do charge my whirligig batteries at season's end and usually give them another lick during the off season. But with teal little more than a week away, I'd not had giving them a check/charge on my to-do list.

But it actually has to get to 32 for them to freeze :mrgreen:

Just by habit my mojo batteries are never left out in the cold other than when I'm using them. Not intentional, but this may explain why I've generally got good life on my mojo batteries and crap life on my trolling motor and boat batteries which never come in out of the cold as they sit all winter long.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 am

Someone had to explain it to me once. I think my uncle who lives in Fairbanks. He taught me a lot about driving and stuff. He explained why the truck battery seems to always crap out on either the hottest day of the year or the coldest.
The hot day part went like this: Sometimes a battery will freeze but only partway. One cell gets messed up and it still works good enough to get you by until one hot ass day the whole thing goes.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:02 pm

The re-charge game makes me nervous; I just run the little spinners and blow through the AA's, replace every few hunts, usually gives me one less thing to lose sleep over. Going to try a few flock-a-flickers so that will be more toys to eat AA's
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Darren wrote:Going to try a few flock-a-flickers so that will be more toys to eat AA's

Best day we had for ducks last year we had flock-a-flickers scattered all over the place that someone brought. Not exactly a large sample size nor were the ducks committing suicide, but they seemed like they would help.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:20 pm

The battery game gets interesting when you're camping and all you got is the battery in the truck or boat.
Eventually you're buying one of them el cheepo harbor freight generators. Once you got juice it gets a whole lot easier. You figure out you can have lights an music then the bitches show up an mess up all the fun. :lol:
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:49 am

Darren wrote:The re-charge game makes me nervous; I just run the little spinners and blow through the AA's, replace every few hunts, usually gives me one less thing to lose sleep over. Going to try a few flock-a-flickers so that will be more toys to eat AA's

I've been using the same Duracell rechargeables for years. They're the bomb in my book.
Rick

Postby DukMan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 pm

:qh:

Only buy lucky ducks and then pick up a couple 6v rechargeables on amazon for a song ($32 for 6) and you can replace'em every year for prolly 1/10th the cost of burning through all those AA's
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 am

DukMan wrote::qh:

Only buy lucky ducks and then pick up a couple 6v rechargeables on amazon for a song ($32 for 6) and you can replace'em every year for prolly 1/10th the cost of burning through all those AA's

The Lucky Duck brand uses 6v as opposed to AA batteries?...... or is this something you have modified? I do know that the 6v batteries seem to last forever, and it seems like AB or somebody, had a post a few years ago that broke them down to reveal smaller batteries bunched together inside.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 am

Wasn't me but yeah if you break a "battery" down it is made of "cells".
When I was racing RC stadium trucks we built our own batteries out of "matched cells".

That's just how batteries work. The chemistry concept called electronegativity.
Different metals have different numbers. When you couple two dissimilar metals with an acid there is a flow of electrons and it's constant. Depending on what metals you get different voltages. Usually around 1.25 or 1.5 volts.
A six-volt battery like we use in big flashlights is made of four 1.5-volt cells. A nine-volt is made from 6 tiny cells. Take one apart and see.

Car batteries are pretty much the same only they use bigger cells with higher capacity. Different metals and different acid tho.

I really wish I could turn this over to Professor Whoopee. He'd explain this shit hasty quick on his 3D BB.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:53 pm

290 views. I'm betting that 200+ were people thinking that there was a blue-light special on mojo batteries in aisle six.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:20 pm

SpinnerMan

Postby Josh carpenter » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:59 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Image

I always have a pair of fresh in my blind bag
Josh carpenter

Postby Pennydog1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:07 pm

Dont want to forget spring and summer charging keeps them good
Pennydog1

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:49 am

I'm done with spinners and the squirting one too.
They're not legal where I actually go kill ducks. Illinois is practice so by the time Thanksgiving and first split hits I'm ready and have discovered anything broken and fixed it.
We hunt private too now and no spinners are required.
I may or may not use batteries this year..
Probably not.
I've got newer better calls and more confidence in them.
Gary keeps on coaching.

Imagine having a resource like that.
I post call videos, he listens, and criticizes in a constructive way. It turns out I have been doing everything right on a duck call while at the same time doubting I was any good at it.
He keeps pointing out that "no ...I'm not that bad at it".
I land flocks of ducks that I never even see until I shoot.
Only 2 eyes.
Gary ...I pray that he gets back into making custom made calls. He's good at it and it got too much for him trying to mass-produce them.
This little small bore is fantastic.
Resized_20220621_065004.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:55 am

Oh shit.
'Batteries' got me looking at my phone.
It had a screen protector. New ones here today.
So I'm looking over my "naked screen".
It has cracks on one corner and some along the top.

So I researched. "How long does a smart phone last?".
2-3 years. Heck they're obsolete within months.
I guess I'll be trying to make this one last until I break it and get another.
They usually get wet and maybe deep sixed.
Galaxy s10 has been good to me so far.
Ricky Spanish

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum