lending gear

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

lending gear

Postby don novicki » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 am

Have a "friend" that I don't see at all during the year, but as goose season rolls around invariably he will show up at my door looking to borrow a couple dozen silly's right before the season starts. Then he never returns anything, I always have to pick it back up from him. Not this year! When he comes by I am going to lay into him and tell him where to go. I thought we were buddies ( have know him a long time) but he never calls to get together during the season to share a hunt or anything else. Heck I even gave him a layout boat a couple of years ago, which he managed to destroy in less than a season. I'm done being the nice guy with this clown.............. :evil:
don novicki

Re: lending gear

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:27 am

I'm afraid to borrow anything for fear I'll somehow mess it up, but that sometimes seems an uncommon phobia.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:23 am

Sounds more like a parasite than a friend :lol: Like Rick, I hesitate to borrow anything, but if I do, was taught to return promptly, in as good, or better shape than when I received it. Some people just don't get it!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 am

Don I think you need to borrow some money from your friend and then not return it. (at least attempt to)

Trying to collect a loaner ladder back right now. Apparently my sister in law painted it real nice shade of cheap white and is ashamed. Muttered something about latex paint remover. I said NOOOO because it might eat up the glue that holds the fiberglass together on the ladder. They're going to end up making me eat that fucking ladder. It was in brand-new condition.

The other thing I won't do is "move a couple things" when a certain buddy who moves annually shows up.
That fucker will say "a couch and a refrigerator" when he means "everything too big for a car".
What is this "gas money"??? Some sort of white racist foreign communist misogynist Islamophobic xenophobic concept?
Then the dumbass borrowed the 2-wheeler. Moved his freezer without emptying it. Ruined the wheels on the cheap 2-wheeler. So he has his 7-year-old do the returning. (you can't scream at a 7-yr-old black kid and not be a racist? Who knew?)

I don't loan things. That's what banks do and it's quite profitable. Sign here. 8-)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Dingo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pm

Friends do not treat friends that way. He is Not a friend.
Dingo

Postby Bud » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:58 pm

Per request, I was taking a young man duck hunting regularly. He was an avid hunter and caller for turkey, deer, and elk. The three younger guys he was trying to learn with didn't have a ride any longer. They asked, and he lent them his trailer, boat, and motor to hunt near where we were hunting...along with accessories.

Told him he had lost his mind. Part of the drive was a long drive on an Interstate. All rookies. He was just trying to help them.
Their third trip back, they didn't tie the bow down well enough and too loose. It was jumping up and down for a quick moment, then snapped the strap. The boat stood straight up at around 75 MPH, then disappeared under a tractor trailer. Total loss, except for the trailer.

He told me next outing, and I reminded him of the warning. Said they were going to pay him back, but I don't recall that ever happening. He asked if I would loan him my boat and accessories, just to see. Told him it would never happen without me running the boat and being with him. He said he thought I was his friend. Told him I was a good friend, but some things we just don't do.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:34 am

Hmm... During my, circa '90s, Capt. Rick phase I long-term-loaned a great friend and his photographer wife the 16' Bass Tracker my bay boat had largely replaced in my life. Figured it was lost to Hurricane Rita in '05, and as our lives had grown apart by then, never broached the subject during our too rare meetings. Should I ever, the question will begin with, "Please know there's no wrong answer to this..."
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:42 am

I’m with you Bud. No chance I’m loaning out my aluminum boat and motor. Just loaned a pirogue to a friend this morning, and had a tough time doing that.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum