Ear protection

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: Ear protection

Postby Darren » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Duck Engr wrote:I use rubber “ringed” plugs instead of foam.

Plus one for this, huge proponent of hearing protection in the blind and with today's ear plugs there's just no excuse for "can't hear my calling, etc. etc.".

I have been wearing these for a number of years:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Combat ... r+tactical

Can hear whistling wings, rustling leaves and conversation in the blind just fine with the yellow side IN. Calling is a non issue and keeps me from worrying about someone's barrel getting closer than it should. Give 'em a try. Have annual hearing checks at work for last ten years, no hearing loss so far.
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:04 pm

"Calling is a non issue..." I've not tried that particular brand, but every similar plug I've tried (including two kinds of relatively expensive "musicians' plugs") puts enough pressure on something in there to change the tone of my voice and calling. Is that not the case with Peltor?
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 am

Rick wrote:"Calling is a non issue..." I've not tried that particular brand, but every similar plug I've tried (including two kinds of relatively expensive "musicians' plugs") puts enough pressure on something in there to change the tone of my voice and calling. Is that not the case with Peltor?

Wouldn't bet my shotgun that they would please you, but for the meager price vs. your long term hearing, likely worth a try. Give 'em to an unprepared guest if you don't like them.

Know you're more discerning with your calling than I, but they work for me. They also allow me to wear them way "in" or slightly "out", the latter being at least better than nothing. In your case sitting blind right every day, even just putting one in your left ear to combat the guests' fire would salvage partial hearing long term.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:41 am

Darren wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:I use rubber “ringed” plugs instead of foam.

Plus one for this, huge proponent of hearing protection in the blind and with today's ear plugs there's just no excuse for "can't hear my calling, etc. etc.".

I have been wearing these for a number of years:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Combat ... r+tactical

Can hear whistling wings, rustling leaves and conversation in the blind just fine with the yellow side IN. Calling is a non issue and keeps me from worrying about someone's barrel getting closer than it should. Give 'em a try. Have annual hearing checks at work for last ten years, no hearing loss so far.

Thanks for the ear plug brand reference Darren!
I've never worn them while hunting, but know that I should, and will probably go ahead and order a pair of these..........
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 am

Maybe I can become Peltor "pro staff' :lol:

Glad to "hear" you might give them a try, your family will thank you. These definitely don't give you that underwater sensation that solid foam plugs do
Darren

Postby Dingo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:20 pm

We all need to protect our hearing.
Dingo

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum