Turkey hunting boots

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Turkey hunting boots

Postby don novicki » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 am

Need a new pair but there are a lot of choices out there. I am looking for a Lacrosse "style" boot without insulation. What does everyone like. P.S. you can leave out recommendations for anything Sitka. I can't see paying 500.00 for a pair of boots :mrgreen:
don novicki

Re: Turkey hunting boots

Postby aunt betty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Don't you need snow shoes right now? I mean if you were going to hunt turkeys today.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:15 pm

This is Lacrosse Grange country, but I've found I get a whole lot more mileage out of the poor boy versions of Le Chameaus that run around $120 on E-bay. Not only last years longer under hard use but have meaningful soles unlike LaCrosse's skates, er..."chevrons". Currently wearing their Country Vibrams.

Should add that that those soles are pretty hard, and if you put anywhere near the miles on them I do, you'll want to add some padded insoles. I use cheap Dollar Store Dr. Scholl's "gel ones.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 am

One day at work the guy I worked with, a Menonite who paraded around like he was Amish, gave me the third degree for dragging mud in the house. Wore hiking boots with tread like on a 4x4. Bad idea for a carpenter. Bill lectured me for 5 minutes on boots then pulled up his pant leg and insisted that I needed to try a pair of "these". Red wings with flat soles that you can scrape most of the mud off quickly.

Red Wing Irish Setter work boots. Once I bought one pair I had to have two. Boots last way longer if you can alternate day by day.

Kept wearing them and still do. I can sneak up and scare the piss out of any librarian without even trying in them boots.
The soles are soft but wear kind of fast compared tp some other brands.

Used to do it all the time in college to where I got in the habit of making a little noise so the librarian would hear me coming. After almost killing one I had to quit being sneaky.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:00 am

My wife likes to try and get me hunting stuff for Christmas and my birthday. Normally, she is terrible. I hate saying, I just can't use this which happens too often, but if she spent some money on it, back it goes. Occasionally, she gets me something decent. When maybe 12 years ago, I unwrapped a pair of boots :o My only thought was, no, no, no, no. It's just not something you buy without asking. I did need a new pair, but :o

They have been the perfect pair of boots. They are wolverines. They do have some insulation, and I wouldn't shy away from that. I wear them year round. Even when working on the hottest days my feet don't get too hot. On the coldest days, me feet get a little cold, but I'm talking late goose arctic cold standing on cold concrete in a pit. The biggest thing is they fit perfectly. I can put a warmer pair of wool socks that aren't too snug or a light sock and they aren't too loose. And that's all I do except for some of those toe warmer things when it is arctic and I'm going to be standing still all day.

They do have the tread problem that Betty mentioned. Step in mud and you will be leaving chunks of dried mud for the next month.

They are still in good shape 12 years later. I don't wear them near every day, but they have a lot of hours on them under a wide range of conditions. Can't speak to any other brand, but this one pair has been worth far more than whatever my wife spent on them.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 pm

I had a pair of boots like that spinner. Hand-me-downs from my father.
They were marketed as feather-lite or something like that. Us hobbit-size people look at that sort of thing. Upland hunts can get miserable really quick if a guy like me makes some poor choices like carrying a semi-auto for instance.

Them Wolverine boots had the mountain-boot tread but were waterproof because they had a "bread bag" built in.
One icy day the tread split and the waterproof on the right boot was no good.

The best pair of boots I ever had was another pair of hand-me-downs. Danner.
They had Vibram soles and were so waterproof I could work all day outside in snow and not get wet. Them soles were different in that they were flat with little lines sort of cut into them.
They were heavily insulated too. Kept feet cool in the summer and warm in winter. One day I carelessly sliced over the top of one boot with a utility knife. Ruined. They were over $200 back when a pack of smokes was a dollar.

My old man never bought anything cheap. Ever have a pair of Gore-Tex blue jeans? Those are great for a waterfowler to wear under waders.

Sorry this got a little away from turkey boots but I'd get Danner boots if I had plenty-o-money.
aunt betty

Postby Dingo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:31 pm

I wear Irish Setters with FLAT bottoms.
Dingo

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum