Storm Front or Hot Buy as Ringers?

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Storm Front or Hot Buy as Ringers?

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm not having much luck finding Ringneck duck decoys, at least that don't come as a diver pack where you get 4 ringers or that cost near $100 for a dozen, so I'm moving on to I'll just paint my own. Being a cheapassa myself, I'm thinking of using either my storm fronts or my ghg hot buy 2s. Which do you think would make the better ringer decoy?

I'm leaning towards the storm fronts for the keels. Not crazy about the tail curls on them, but not much I can/will do

The GHGs are more rester-ish, but the keels are a giant PITA unless you are using texas rigged weights

Some pics of ringers for comparison:
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Storm Front or Hot Buy as Ringers?

Postby JGUN » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Either if you're going to paint them. Or you can just buy them.
http://www.prairiewinddecoys.com/p/121/lifesize-ring-neck-duck-decoys-by-avery-ghg
JGUN

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:03 pm

JGUN wrote:Either if you're going to paint them. Or you can just buy them.
http://www.prairiewinddecoys.com/p/121/lifesize-ring-neck-duck-decoys-by-avery-ghg

Motherf... I searched for a good 5 whole minutes looking for decoys that were cheaper than $80 a dozen.

They are out of stock though. But at $35 for a half dozen, I would have picked up one and maybe tried to scrounge another.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby JGUN » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:11 pm

I had a whole pile of different sites that came up. This was just one of the first that I picked.
Here's another.http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-AVE73040
JGUN

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm

knutson's has tanglefree ringnecks for about $60 a dozen.

no idea how durable tanglefree decoys are. according to someone that works for them, the paint is suppose to be better than it was when they first came out.
Bufflehead

Postby Olly » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Knustons has always had good deals..... Until they add shipping. Always seemed way too high compared to other places.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Olly wrote:Knustons has always had good deals..... Until they add shipping. Always seemed way too high compared to other places.

Sent using Tapatalk
even with their high shipping, they are usualy the cheapest place on the web to buy G&H decoys. so that's who i usualy order from when the little hunting store here is out of stock. odering direct from G&H is about $20 a dozen more
Bufflehead

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Marshmutt wrote:Why not just give me a call and save yourself time and money!

i looked on your site to see if you had ringnecks before i posted what knutsons had. but i didn't see them any where on there
Bufflehead

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Marshmutt wrote:Why not just give me a call and save yourself time and money!

Yea, I'm not seeing ringers on your site?
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Goldie,
I have both. The hotbuys last better and they have better motion in the wind.
Tomkat

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum