Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby BGkirk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:22 pm

Darren I would think they’re is an epoxy you could try. Or maybe even a bucket of tar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:47 am

BGkirk wrote:Darren I would think they’re is an epoxy you could try. Or maybe even a bucket of tar

Yea something along these lines is what I'm thinking could work

Capture.JPG

$45 per 5-gal
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:49 pm

Adam Einck
(225) 765-2465
aeinck@wlf.la.gov

For Immediate Release
July 29, 2020

United States Attorney David C. Joseph announced that a couple from Monterey, Louisiana, was sentenced in federal court in Shreveport on July 23, 2020, to three years of federal probation for felony Lacey Act violations in relation to illegally operating a woodcock guide service on the Richard K. Yancey Wildlife Management Area (WMA). The Suttons pleaded guilty on Aug. 19, 2019.

Senior U.S. District Judge Dee D. Drell ordered William K. Sutton, 66, to pay a $5,000 fine and Karen S. Sutton, 61, to pay a $1,000 fine. Judge Drell also ordered the couple to pay $7,850 in restitution to the Richard K. Yancey WMA and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) Office of Law Enforcement.

The Suttons were named in a federal indictment for conspiracy and Lacey Act violations in March of 2019 after agents with the USFWS completed a successful criminal investigation of their woodcock guide service.

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) enforcement agents cited William Sutton during the previous hunting season, but the Suttons continued their illicit activity. The investigation culminated with joint search warrant executions by USFWS and LDWF agents at the Sutton’s residence and hunting lodge.

The investigation yielded evidence indicating the Suttons had conducted approximately 82 illegal hunts over a two-year period netting an estimated monetary gain of over $100,000.

The Lacey Act is a comprehensive federal law that protects against wildlife crimes such as international and domestic wildlife trafficking. The Act prohibits trade in wildlife, fish, and plants that have been taken, possessed, transported or sold in violation of other federal, state, or foreign laws.

USFWS Acting Special Agent in Charge Stephen Clark stated, “We take our mission working with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and the citizens of Louisiana in conserving, protecting, and enhancing fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats very seriously. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement considers the illegal commercialization of wildlife resources a high priority, and we will continue to work closely with our State partners to assist them in these important investigations."

"This is a great example of federal and state agencies working together to protect Louisiana's wonderful natural resources. This couple was stealing from the citizens of Louisiana and justice was served," said LDWF Enforcement Division Col. Chad Hebert.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian C. Flanagan prosecuted the case.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:51 pm

The man always keeping us down.

Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:22 pm

Damn, woodcock hunting is expensive.

The investigation yielded evidence indicating the Suttons had conducted approximately 82 illegal hunts over a two-year period netting an estimated monetary gain of over $100,000.

That's over $1,200 per hunt.

And just think, the few times I have seen woodcocks, I didn't even bother to pull the trigger. I must really be missing out.
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:09 pm

So can you not run a guide service for woodcock or just not supposed to do it on a wma? That WMA will be full of woodcock oosers now.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:45 pm

Commercial hunting or fishing is illegal on WMAs unless under authorized circumstances.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:20 am

International Crane Foundation
15h ·
Today we saw justice for Whooping Cranes L3-15 and L5-15, who were shot by Kaenon Constantin in Louisiana in May 2016. Judge Hanna administered a rigorous sentence for Constantin, including:

A $10,000 fine and $75,000 in restitution, both to be paid to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF).

360 hours of community service with LDWF.

Revocation of his hunting license until he completes his community service.

Five years unsupervised probation.

Judge Hanna said under normal circumstances he would have given jail time, but due to the pandemic and its huge impact on the prison population, he did not want to do it for this case.

The International Crane Foundation applauds Judge Hanna, the Assistant U.S. Attorney who prosecuted this case, Danny Siefker Jr., and the federal investigators who pursued this case for two years for their recognition of the value of this species to the people of Louisiana and conservation community at large.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Myself and some of my family went down to the camp this weekend and my son and I made a run around our marsh this for the first time since the season ended. The water is just a bit high which is normal now due to our severely damaged levees and silted drain bayou to the gulf. It'll pour in just fine but is painfully slow to retreat. This issue affects a large chunk of this marsh and many land owners. I would so love to drain our section dry in the summer and open the gates in mid August to a shallow fill. It just takes multi millions to make this happen.

I'd like to think it's the fertilizer I put out last spring that did this, but we had trouble finding our board walk to the blind. We had to split and fold over the tangled 6' mat of lush "whip" grass that has taken over the island. The blind is just to my right in this picture. I'll have to cut Ellie an east west run (tunnel) just so she can get to the water on each side. It's tick tick. The tall cord grass we had on our east side last season has been taken over by this lush "whip" which will give us much better visibility in that direction. I know we missed some chances on low buzzing teal there in that shallow pond behind me last year.
94607.jpeg

The lease holder had knee replacement this past Wednesday and had asked me to If I'd mind running the entire lease to check blinds. That was a silly request.... LOL! This is his blind which is located at the southern end of this property. It is 1 mile south of our location. I was to use his surface drive to do this run but we found his trailer springs were rusted away as one tire was rubbing a fender when we began pulling it out of the shed by hand. We ended up using his smaller boat with a 25hp mercury outboard and as you would imagine it was a pain in the butt to keep water running through the engine. We had to push pole a ways to deeper water when we cavitated and came to a quick stop trying to run a ditch i had suspected of being a bit too shallow. I think I would have made it if not for the need to slow down for a 90 degree turn. We got the intake and tell- tale cleaned out and made our way to another blind from a bit "deeper" direction.

20200801_133235_resized.jpg

Once the storms quit yesterday afternoon we went and collected supper.

I turned this....
20200801_193349.jpg

....into this, with a sprinkle of shrimp.
20200801_201326.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:13 pm

I would love to come crabbing with u guys again during teal season

Ericdc

Postby BGkirk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Awesome that your blind is hidden so well. I think the lower water levels early this spring helped any kind of grass to grow, evident on our place too.
Boats in the marsh seems to be always an adventure.

BGkirk

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:50 pm

Gumbo looks delicious as always. I never get tired of those pics!

I’ll second the kudos on how well your blind is hidden. That’s super.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:31 am

Ericdc wrote:I would love to come crabbing with u guys again during teal season

We can make this happen.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:35 am

.........makes my stomach happy, just looking at your crab and shrimp dish Dave!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 am

Don't know what looks better, your blind or stew, the very stew that got me in gear on making one myself and now have a few times and well may again for teal opener weekend.

I'm hoping our cord grass is blown up tall as I expect it to be. Our experience has been that even in the most muddy/trodden places it explodes in growth in offseason so really hoping the new blind we put in last year is engulfed, should find out in next couple of weeks.
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:36 am

I don't know one salt/brackish marsh grass from another, but I sure like how Dave's blind looks compared to his buddy's - or mine.

(Finally got around to doing our marsh's farm releases the other day, and made a point of not passing by my blind to see if fertilizing was making something of nothing.)
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am

DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:43 pm

And the fishing sucks too.........ha ha! What a paradise Dave!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby BGkirk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:45 pm

DComeaux wrote:Please see my go fund me account...

https://morrowlandgroup.com/property/ca ... ary-point/
Figured Grosse Savanne would suck that up

BGkirk

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:21 pm

private impounded marsh

Yes Please

1,659 ± total acres
275 ± acre private brackish marsh
425 ± acre private freshwater marsh
930 ± acres of pasture / ag land
30 ± acres of roads and levees
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:41 pm

BGkirk wrote:

That is the thought of the few I've talked with, and I would assume they were approached before it hit the market and declined. I'd say it wouldn't be a good investment in light of our current migration situation.
DComeaux

Postby BGkirk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:47 pm

DComeaux wrote:
BGkirk wrote:

That is the thought of the few I've talked with, and I would assume they were approached before it hit the market and declined. I'd say it wouldn't be a good investment in light of our current migration situation.
Agreed, you’d think if it was capable of commercial operation GS would have it.
Always fun to dream

BGkirk

Postby Ericdc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:56 pm

Would make for a fine well managed club though.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:14 am

Y'all needn't worry about having to bid against me. Picked that piece's too few eggs (by 4-wheeler, truck and pirogue) one year and have no desire to go back. Didn't see much of the marsh (no nests there), and caretaker said hunting could be OK where the family annually flooded levied wasteland. Reminded me as much of reclaimed landfill as anything. And I would think the bulk of it most likely to end up in developers' hands.

But I've little imagination. Might could be one of you guys could make it sweet...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:56 pm

I have seen posts here and there on various social media platforms over the last few years, and one as recent as today asking to name the state or states you'd pick for duck hunting. At one time Louisiana would have topped that list for many. I briefly read the post on my phone in a rush during work and did not see LA mentioned once. I had a sinking feeling in my chest after reading the picks list of a few...... The reality of our situation set in and it didn't feel good. It's like losing an old friend.

On a brighter note, prep for teal season is just a couple of weeks away. Blake was at the camp this weekend and did see a few BW in some ponds. We're going to put out all of our regular season spread with hopes of having the passing traffic we did last year. We're also hoping that more decoys will be a better enticement at least visually than the bakers dozen I halfheartedly deployed last year. We will also hunt from our permanent blind this year.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:13 am

Year end and year out I'd have to pick extreme NE Arkansas right now. SE Kansas would also be a good destination if you had a running river near by to hunt both dry fields and the water for later day shoots.
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:13 am

Ducaholic wrote:Year end and year out I'd have to pick extreme NE Arkansas right now. SE Kansas would also be a good destination if you had a running river near by to hunt both dry fields and the water for later day shoots.

I've traveled out of state twice in my life to duck hunt. One trip was to Dumas Arkansas over 20 years ago on a vendor supplied free trip transported by private jet, and the other was a company paid hunt to High Level Alberta Canada. Both trips were awesome, but for me personally, travel for duck hunting will be limited to an in state lease. Once that's no longer viable I'll let it go.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am

I plan to go to Kansas next year for public land with my cousins.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:23 pm

I've always told my grandsons that if they love duck hunting they'd best focus on getting the kind of jobs that will afford them travel time and money.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:10 pm

Rick wrote:I've always told my grandsons that if they love duck hunting they'd best focus on getting the kind of jobs that will afford them travel time and money.

How sad is that, especially coming from your neck of the woods.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2019-2020