Re: SpinnerMan 2020-2021 Logs

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:29 pm

I've found my new mark.

13b_Trim_exported_1009_1603937479687.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:20 pm

That’s a dandy! Split brows and some extra kickers in there too!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:04 am

Lucky 13. I hope lucky for me and not for him.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:31 pm

Date: October 31 (FNG)

Hunters: Jason and myself

Time: Morning

Weather Conditions: Sunny, cool, moderate south wind

Waterfowl Activity: Not much

Birds By Species: None

I took Jason out for his second duck hunt. We didn't see much of anything. Had 3 mallards come by and were responding very nicely to the call. Made a loop at about 60 or so. Next pass about 40. The next pass looks like it will be in our lap. Bang, bang, bang. :evil: Jason decided to shoot at them. FNG. I thought I was clear I call the shots. It is now. I think I bit my tongue appropriately and explained things.

Damn they were looking pretty.

A while later, a single drake mallard appears. Jason had gone to get something off the bench and was coming back. I said "stay down." The duck flares. I look over and he's got his head out of the blind :(

Didn't see many other ducks. Saw about a half dozen what I am pretty sure we're pintails, which is very rare for us.

I have yet to even shoot at a duck so far this season. Although that should not have been the case today.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Date: November 4 (Hunting with the wife)

Hunters: Me and my honey

Weather Conditions: Sunny, warm, moderate south wind

Waterfowl Activity: 4 geese and 2 wood ducks :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My wife really wants to get a duck. So we are having unseasonably warm weather right now, so she was game for an early morning trip to the duck blind. Getting her a duck is a little harder when she doesn't like cold or mornings.

She is really slow getting up to shoot. I mean really, really slow. For the big fat, slow geese, she's fine. But ducks on the wing, man, it's going to be tough. I have got to get them on the water or her chances are very slim.

The entire 2 ducks we saw all morning, 2 wood ducks, appear from our left and are low and looking like they are going to land right out in front, so I thought I'd just let them do that. They dropped to just a couple feet and then picked up and hooked around behind us and were gone. Dang it.

We have insane numbers of geese in the area and for some reason our club is almost a complete no fly zone for the geese. There is water all around us that usually roosts quite a few geese. Even though, it's normally really tough to pull any in as they are heading out to the corn and beans, we normally see a lot of geese and pick off a few low fliers that roosted on the club or were just to lazy to lift their corn fattened selves up high enough as they fly over.

She had a good time being out in the boat in the dark, helping with the decoys, etc. So it was a good morning, well about as good a morning as seeing 6 waterfowl can be.

Lagniappe: I got a text while waiting for jump time to claim a blind from Jason. He was archery hunting the night before and hit a doe. He tracked it past my stand and back into the buckthorn jungle. He could get close and then she'd run a short distance. Finally gave up for the night hoping to find her in the morning. After duck hunting, he texts me that he bumped her again. Not dead yet :shock: So I called him and said I'll come over and help, maybe we can corral her and one of us can put another arrow in her. We run into a couple other duck hunters when hatching our plan. So they will circle around and try to push her to us. While walking in I actually bump her. She jumped up about 20' from me. Scared the crap out of me. So I decide to hook around to make sure she is between us and the drivers. She had barely gone any distance and so as soon as I stepped up on the little mound I was going to use as a stand I saw her. Took a quick shot before she bolted and I'm sure I put an arrow through her lungs. She went a short distance (10 yards or so) and I thought she went down. It's that thick that you often can't see 30'. It was dumb luck that I had a shooting lane when I saw her about 15 yards away. What actually happened is she went to the edged of a steep bank that goes into the lake. Stopped there for a bit, I'm guessing didn't want to go down because Jason I am pretty sure destroyed her shoulder, then finally hopped in the lake. Big puddle of blood at the edge of the lake and we could never figure out where she came back out of the lake. Can't blood trail in the water. The four of us hunted everywhere. It's a friggin' jungle. I'm sure we probably almost tripped over her at some point but no luck. That sucks. She was a huge doe. There's no way she went more than 100 yards max with where I'm pretty sure I hit her. I hunted for a deer in there a couple years ago with no blood trail. Dumb luck I found her after I had probably passed within 15 yards of her several times. I had a general idea where she was. This deer could have went on to about a half dozen little islands or doubled back into the buckthorn jungle that she didn't want to leave. That sucks we lost her but it was quite the little adventure.
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:58 pm

Bummer on losing the doe Spinner!
Growing up, most deer camps had at least one member with a tracking dog, but that seems to be a lost tradition today.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am

Date: November 11

Hunters: Steve L. and myself

Weather Conditions: Much colder, forecast strong west but more moderate and south west wind, after a strong front last night

Waterfowl Activity: Saw 6 ducks and and not a lot of geese but an improvement

Ducks are still almost non-existent. There are tons of geese in the area. Even saw 4 blue geese on a refuge on Saturday. At least a few more flew over the club. We had one single pass at what should have been close enough. We beat him up but didn't knock him down.

Been focused on archery hunting. Everybody around me is seeing, and shooting, deer and I'm still seeing them on the cameras. Actually pulled a camera this morning and had 4 deer walk by my stand this morning that I had thought about hunting but opted to take the morning off and go duck hunting :lol:

Saturday I decided to go chase pheasants for the first time in a few years. Only saw 1 but he couldn't have given me an easier shot.
pheasant.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:34 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Actually pulled a camera this morning and had 4 deer walk by my stand this morning that I had thought about hunting but opted to take the morning off and go duck hunting :lol:

Had to happen. It's a natural law.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Actually pulled a camera this morning and had 4 deer walk by my stand this morning that I had thought about hunting but opted to take the morning off and go duck hunting :lol:

Had to happen. It's a natural law.

Not the first time. That's for sure.
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Murphy.......he is an unforgiving SOB :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Deltaman wrote:Murphy.......he is an unforgiving SOB :lol:

The funniest was maybe 2 years ago. I was seeing a lot of young buck on my camera. I hunted 4 or 5 mornings in a row. Every morning geese were flying low over my stand and going right over the closest goose blind. Nobody was hunting it. We were supposed to get snow late in the morning. I decided to go shoot the geese. It started snowing before shooting time. Wet sticky snow. About every 20 minutes I'd go wipe my completely white decoys. The geese finally showed but saw all these snow covered geese and clearly knew something was fishy. Would have probably got shooting if I had left the decoys at home. Got a beautiful picture of a young buck standing in the snow right in front of my blind at 8AM. :lol: :lol: :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:56 am

So I went out for the evening hoping that some of the deer I saw would come out in the evening.

I had probably not been in the seat in my blind for a minute before I heard deer. About 2 minutes, I thought I made a perfect shot on a doe. A little lower than I intended, but I thought I hit the heart.

The twins headed north and the doe headed east. A little while later the twins came back. They were some big healthy yearlings.

Fawns.jpg

When I went to look for the doe. A little blood. A little more blood. A lot of blood. Wow that's a lot of blood. OK, where the hell did she go? Where's the blood? I found about 8 more drops :o Hunted a total of about 3 hours for her. Clearly I did not hit her heart. I must have been just behind the heart and just below the lungs. :cry: :cry: :cry:

This year is starting to suck. I'm feeding the damn coyotes way too much. Early goose season was great. Since then, I've shot and lost 2 geese. Shot and lost two gobblers. Shot and lost two deer (one was somebody else's cripple but still). The arrow buried almost to the feathers (good penetration) and it had to be within a fraction of an inch of hitting the heart or lungs or both. It just sucks.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Having shot a deer or two that way for years, I quit bow hunting after the first one I felt well hit beat me. Long, two day story in which the deer was last seen on day two with my arrow still sticking out the entry side of its chest and, apparently, stuck in the off shoulder blade(?) "No man's land." between lungs and spine, I've been told.

No more of that for me, thank you.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Rick wrote:was last seen on day two with my arrow still sticking out the entry side of its chest

That's my concern now given that I looked very long and hard and not having found my arrow. Past experience they pull that arrow out pretty quick if they can.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:29 pm

There still ain't no ducks in that spot we sat at.
If I set up on other side they do. Ducks have gotten wicked smart about big spreads imo.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:02 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Rick wrote:was last seen on day two with my arrow still sticking out the entry side of its chest

That's my concern now given that I looked very long and hard and not having found my arrow. Past experience they pull that arrow out pretty quick if they can.

In my case, the deer stepped off a protection levee into marsh to give me a good look, while (being sure it was long dead) I stood there with a brush knife, instead of bow, in hand. Then it bounded back onto the levee and ran off down it with the arrow clacking against trees like a stick on a picket fence. Followed it's tail until it entered the deep marsh at levee's end - and never even found the arrow I thought must surely come free and grind innards on its way out.

Strictly a rifle guy with no losses since. Pound timber. Though some worrisome searches have taught me to stick with Ballistic Tip bullets and double-lung shots. Will intentionally "waste" a shoulder, too, in bad places.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:24 am

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

In my case, the deer stepped off a protection levee into marsh to give me a good look, while (being sure it was long dead) I stood there with a brush knife, instead of bow, in hand. Then it bounded back onto the levee and ran off down it with the arrow clacking against trees like a stick on a picket fence. Followed it's tail until it entered the deep marsh at levee's end - and never even found the arrow I thought must surely come free and grind innards on its way out.

Strictly a rifle guy with no losses since. Pound timber. Though some worrisome searches have taught me to stick with Ballistic Tip bullets and double-lung shots. Will intentionally "waste" a shoulder, too, in bad places.

Our shotgun season is 7 days spit into a 3 day first and 4 day second season. You must apply for permits from a draw. If you get them, they are only good for a specific place or a specific county. For example, I have a shotgun permit that is good only for the first 3 days at the Marseilles Fish and Wildlife Area. That is my only opportunity to shotgun hunt this year. On the other hand archery is over the counter and runs from October 1 through sometime in January.

Ricky Spanish wrote:There still ain't no ducks in that spot we sat at.
If I set up on other side they do. Ducks have gotten wicked smart about big spreads imo.

We'll have to give it a try again for teal next September. I'd say I come down this year but I don't think I'll have time to get down your way this year.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am

Date: November 16

Hunters: Myself

Weather Conditions: Around freezing with a forecast strong west but actual wind almost zero

Waterfowl Activity: Did not see a ducks and and not a lot of geese most high

Went to bed with the wind forecast of strong west with gusts in the 20's. Didn't check it when I got up :cry: Didn't even check it before I picked my blind :oops: I got out of the truck at the blind. "There's no wind?" Took my phone out and checked the weather. SOB!!! Current conditions. Wind speed: 0. Checked for 7AM, West at 2 mph. Wasn't enough to even put a ripple in the water. Damn it. I should be in a tree stand. Would have took a completely different blind with no wind. Boy I screwed up this morning. Rookie, rookie, rookie mistakes.

Did not see a single duck. Only saw maybe a handful of geese within a quarter mile of me. Saw a fair number more than has been the case high and/or far. Still not what we expect this time of year, especially with so many geese in the area.

Just to indicate how my day was probably going to go. I remote started my truck so the frost would melt and I wouldn't have to ride in a cold truck. When I threw some stuff in the front seat, I put the key in the ignition so I could turn the seat warmer on too. Loaded the rest of my stuff. Hop in and reach in my pocket to put the keys in the ignition. Where are the keys? :lol: Looked for a couple minutes until I remember they were in the ignition of my running truck. :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:50 am

Damn Forecasters :o Cracker Barrel morning Spinner :lol:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Today I saw a monster buck.
If you drive into farmer city from the west going east ...on the right as you come into town is this clump of trees. That buck was getting goofy in there until Iput on the brakes then he got really goofy.
Massive rack it was 12 points maybe 14.
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:04 pm

Date: December 1 (First Day Diver Trip)

Hunters: Myself, Jeff, Bill, and Seth with Guide Josh and Dog Titan

Weather Conditions: Around freezing with a cold 20 mph NW wind mostly solid overcast

Waterfowl Activity: A few mergansers, small number of buffies, with an occasional goldeneye

Birds By Species: 1 Buffie, 1 goldeneye.

What could have been a truly memorable for all the wrong reasons day turned out to be a slow day on the lake with a really nice group of guys to pass the time with.

Heading out with Guide Steve about 15 minutes run something broke on his flywheel. A horrible grinding sound followed by a terrible sounding motor left us limping back to the dock. Thankfully, we were able to make it back to the dock. The strong wind and well out into the bay in the dark would have been a long morning waiting for a tow. While limping back, he contacted Josh who had space to take us out with him. All said and done, we were hunting right at shooting time.

The hunting was pretty slow, but at least we shot poorly :(

The birds just did not want to finish. We had enough to make a decent day pass by 50-75 yards out. Most shots were birds skirting us just in range and with a strong wind quickly putting distance between us.

On the plus side, I finally shot at a duck this year. First was a nice drake common merganser crossing fast in front. I didn't swing through and first shot was about 3 feet behind him :lol: :oops: Missed on the second.

Titan returning with half the day's bounty.
titan.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:15 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:The hunting was pretty slow, but at least we shot poorly :(

That's a great line, I'll little doubt "borrow".
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Getting icy yet?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:25 pm

aunt betty wrote:Getting icy yet?

Nope. 45 for the high tomorrow.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:40 pm

Date: December 2 (Second Day Diver Trip)

Hunters: Myself, Jeff with Guide Steve

Weather Conditions: Around freezing with a cold 20 mph W wind very sunny

Waterfowl Activity: Huge numbers of birds on the horizon but very few where we were

Birds By Species: 2 Buffie

Absolutely beautiful sunrise. That was the highlight of the day.

The strong wind has made it unsafe to hunt way out which really sucks because there are a lot of birds out there. The marine forecast puts the seas even in the bay at probably 4-6 feet. And it is not coming down near enough tomorrow. There out there. We just can't get out there. :x Pretty much like my deer season. I can see that they are there but can't do anything about out.

On the plus side, I won't go the entire season without getting a duck. I bagged the ever impressive hen bufflehead. Only two ducks decoyed today, and we got both of them. Missed a couple skirting the edge. Otherwise didn't see a whole lot of ducks within miles of us.

SunriseSaginaw.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 am

Date: December 3 (Last Day Diver Trip)

Hunters: Myself, Jeff with Guide Steve

Weather Conditions: Around freezing, mostly cloudy, with a SW wind around 10 and increasing as the morning went on

Waterfowl Activity: Large numbers of birds on the horizon and a little better activity where we were

Birds By Species: 2 Buffie, 5 Old Squaw, 1 White-winged Scoter

Absolutely beautiful sunrise again. Thankfully, that wasn't the highlight of the day this time.

Strong wind still kept us much nearer to shore than we wanted but the change in direction allowed us to get to a better spot.

We ran to the first spot the captain wanted and when he killed the motor he turned to us and said, we'll give them hell here until it gets too rough. I'm looking past him think that it is too big already. He turns around and basically realized it had built too much. So off to plan B. We ran about a mile and were sufficiently in the lee of shore. By the time we called it, it was starting to get pretty rough.

I've finally had it with my gun. It's not given me any serious problems in years but when it does it always seems to be at the worst times (I guess I should call my gun Murphy). But finally decent action and I'm now shooting a single shot :evil: It got in my head and cost me a couple birds. Then I swapped guns with the captain. Michigan doesn't allow bringing spare guns along (really stupid law). After that I went 3-3 and then put a drake bufflehead center patter and he kept flying on. Always amazes me when they are definitely in range and you definitely put them in the middle of the pattern and they fly on with no apparent effect at all.

No gun problems and a little better shooting and we'd have scratched out our 6 birds. It was nice to have my first good day of duck hunting even with my gun reaching the last straw (sentimental reasons has caused me to persevere longer than reason dictates with this gun).

SunriseSaginawDec3.jpg

Not the prettiest or tastiest haul of birds but it was good to shoot a few. I missed a nice drake white-winged scoter when I rushed the first shot on what should have been an easy shot and then my gun didn't allow me to correct my mistake.

Dec3Birds.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Just enough to bring you back.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:44 pm

Glad you finally got to shoot a few ducks Spinner! Sounds like a new gun Christmas to me ;)
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:57 am

Date: December 29 (First Florida Hunting Outing)

Hunters: Myself

Time: All day

Weather Conditions: 70's and mostly sunny

Waterfowl Activity: Actually saw some which exceeded my expectations

Birds By Species: None, but was not DNS which definitely exceeded my expectations

I took my first hunting/exploring expedition in Florida. I identified a couple wildlife management areas that looked like they had potential. I went exploring mostly looking for where and what to hunt. Not really committed to waterfowl but there was a river on the one WMA that looked like I could do some jump shooting. Unfortunately, it is the go to spot to kayak in the area but there are backwaters of flooded cypresses. So I walked some of these. First thing I jumped was a gator :shock: Yep, never did that in Illinois :lol: Maybe 30-40 lbers so if I were on TV it would be a 200 lb'er. Jumped a few wood ducks but didn't get a shot. Then jumped a pair of hooded mergansers which I missed. Only a couple spots that looked like they would hold ducks, which they did. Not enough to get me back. Tons of deer tracks, but deer season is closed in that area or I would go deer hunting. Some hog signs but not enough. So moved on and explored some other areas. Nothing else in the area was really what I was looking for but it was nice to spend a few hours out in the outdoors, especially given how completely different than anything I have ever hunted in before.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:27 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:First thing I jumped was a gator :shock: Yep, never did that in Illinois :lol: Maybe 30-40 lbers so if I were on TV it would be a 200 lb'er.

Dats da trut'.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to SpinnnerMan 2020-2021