2020-2021 Duck Season

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Date: 11/21

Time: early morning

Cloud Cover: high ceiling heavy clouds.

Wind Direction and Velocity: ZERO

Temperature: too warm.

Moon phase: ?

Special Notes: made a point to get away from the crowd but still had to go to plan C to get a spot.

Waterfowl Activity: not much happening low and loafing. A lot of high flights of mallards and pintails, north to south. All refused to break

Waterfowl Responsiveness: poor

Hunters: 3

Guns: stoeger, benelli, versamax

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): crowded. Legh Trace and Scout. Trace has put on about 30 pounds from last year due to his owner’s 2 year old son feeding him constantly. Could tell it hindered his range of motion.

Special Equipment: jerk chord

Curses: lack of flight. No wind. Cloudy. Mosquitos.

Kudos: felt great to be back out hunting.

Birds By Species: 1 gadwall

Photo Ops:

Lagniappe: camped at a camp ground the night before but didn’t realize there was an opening day social happening there all night. Didn’t sleep much.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Re: 2020-2021 Duck Season

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:03 pm

Date:

Time:

Cloud Cover:

Wind Direction and Velocity:

Temperature:

Moon phase:

Special Notes:

Waterfowl Activity:

Waterfowl Responsiveness:

Hunters:

Guns:

Malfunctions:

Dog(s):

Special Equipment:

Curses:

Kudos:

Birds By Species:

Photo Ops:

Lagniappe:
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Date: 11/22/20

Time: morning. Didn’t leave ramp till 530. Dilly dallying hunting partners.

Location: different wma. Had planned to return to a different spot on the same wma as the day before but falling water levels wouldn’t facilitate that.

Cloud Cover: heavy low cloud cover to start off. Rain started at around 830.

Wind Direction and Velocity: calm to start. Picking up from west then north as the rain started.

Temperature: upper 50s. Turned chilly around 11 as the front approached.

Moon phase:

Special Notes: had never been to this area so we were flying blind.

Waterfowl Activity: a lot of early wood ducks followed by a few mallards and gadwalls. Later flights of mallards after the rain began were high.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: early ducks worked well. Finished a pair but couldn’t finish the others. “Deaf ducks” later in the morning.

Hunters: 3

Guns:

Malfunctions: young dog barked at early working mallards and gadwalls. Not saying that’s why we lost some of the early working ducks, but it didn’t help our cause.

Dog(s): 3. Legh Trace and the youngster Scout.

Special Equipment: Jerk cord

Curses: just ducks that wouldn’t finish.

Kudos: buddy brought a camo tarp. Was a godsend during the downpour.

Birds By Species: Took out some frustration on 8 wood ducks early before big ducks started flying. 1 gadwall from a pair that did as requested.

Photo Ops:

Lagniappe: did a lot of scouting afterwards. Was more of a scout hunt than anything, so any birds were a bonus.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:16 am

Three dogs is a lot of dogs.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:50 am

Rick wrote:Three dogs is a lot of dogs.
It certainly is...
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

2020-2021 Duck Season

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Date: 11/23/20

Time: morning. Last day of trip.

Cloud Cover: clear, finally

Wind Direction and Velocity: nothing to light northerly switching to northeast.

Temperature: 38 degrees. Finally felt like duck season

Moon phase:

Special Notes: called some locals that we’ve run into in years’ past the night before the hunt to see if they were going to be where we planned to be. They were, but invited us to hunt with them anyway.

Waterfowl Activity: sporadic low flights. Teal were the most plentiful I’ve seen in a few years. Most big ducks were getting up from the flooded buck brush to our south and had coordinates in mind.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: what was low did as bid. Figured out pretty early we had to be real soft on the calls. Watched two singles nearly turn themselves inside out to avoid the cut downs early on. From there we broke ducks with cut downs then immediately switched to finesse calling with j frames. One group of 3 mid morning sticks out in my head, a drake mallard and gadwall pair. The drake mallard was suspicious but the hen gadwall wanted in. They circled 4-5 times before someone used a drake mallard whistle. That was all she needed. Landed with the wind, on our end of the hole. All 3 of them stayed.

Hunters: 7, our 3 plus 4 locals.

Guns:

Malfunctions: Scout broke, figuratively, and literally broke the clasp on his lead he was tied up with on the first volley and ended up in the middle of the decoys. Loaned out my lead and didn’t have any more problems.

Dog(s): Legh trace and scout. Was nice having 3 dogs on a couple of mass casualty events.

Special Equipment: jerk chord and slough boat

Curses: none from this Indian

Kudos: felt good to have a few read the script.

Birds By Species: 30 total. 4 mallards, 5 gadwall, 1 wigeon, 1 wood duck, 2 lost shovelers, and 17 teal.

Photo Ops:Image
Legh’s either embarrassed to take a pic with me or embarrassed to have her pic taken with a gadwall. Probably the heaviest gadwall I’ve ever handled. Had over 1/4” of fat on him when I cleaned him.

Lagniappe: end of the 3 day trip. Couple of buddies stayed another couple days and killed a handful, but nothing I wished I’d risked divorce and stayed for.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:42 am

Sounds like a lot of guns, but a lot of fun, too.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:23 am

Rick wrote:Sounds like a lot of guns, but a lot of fun, too.

More guns than I prefer but a good time nonetheless. The hole we were hunting was long and skinny, so it was conducive to lining guns up along the long side. Shot was getting called just as the last duck sailed past the first gun so everyone got some shooting in.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Glad y'all had enough birds for your crowd, nice hunt!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:08 pm

https://explore.org/livecams/raptor-res ... flyway-cam

Live look at a refuge up in Wisconsin. Audio is great for a pencil pusher like myself. I keep the audio going in the background most of the day.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:26 pm

Wow, very cool, thanks for sharing
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:32 pm

Have made two hunts locally since my trip, without much to show for it. One day before work and came up empty handed despite a chip shot that I instead harvested a nice oak limb and a buddy’s draw hunt on a refuge I’ve hunted since my youth that stunk. One wood duck. They no longer plant for ducks and it’s apparent by the vegetation that the manager doesn’t have the moist soil managing experience needed.

That refuge hunt was on 12/16. 12/17 I hopped out of my truck for lunch and felt a little off, almost like I’d had a few beers. Went inside and took my temp. 99.5. By 2 pm I’d tested positive for covid. Thought I was going to be able to isolate at the farm and have myself quite a 10 days of hunting bliss but the wife started showing symptoms the next day, so now we’re all 4 kicking it at the house till the 27th. Symptoms have been mild for me and even more so for her, thankfully. Headache and low grade fever. Almost back to 100% today. May try to make a hunt in the next couple days.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Have made two hunts locally since my trip, without much to show for it. One day before work and came up empty handed despite a chip shot that I instead harvested a nice oak limb and a buddy’s draw hunt on a refuge I’ve hunted since my youth that stunk. One wood duck. They no longer plant for ducks and it’s apparent by the vegetation that the manager doesn’t have the moist soil managing experience needed.

That refuge hunt was on 12/16. 12/17 I hopped out of my truck for lunch and felt a little off, almost like I’d had a few beers. Went inside and took my temp. 99.5. By 2 pm I’d tested positive for covid. Thought I was going to be able to isolate at the farm and have myself quite a 10 days of hunting bliss but the wife started showing symptoms the next day, so now we’re all 4 kicking it at the house till the 27th. Symptoms have been mild for me and even more so for her, thankfully. Headache and low grade fever. Almost back to 100% today. May try to make a hunt in the next couple days.

Hope you shake it quick DE!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Glad it didn't go worse.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Date: 12/26/2020

Time: AM ducks already flying as I pulled into the hole 20 minutes prior to legal

Cloud Cover: clear. Stars shining bright.

Wind Direction and Velocity: calm

Temperature: chilly. 24 at the ramp. Had to break out the boat driving hat and gloves. Skim ice in the shallows.

Moon phase:

Special Notes: last day of “quarantine”

Waterfowl Activity: best I’ve seen in Bama so far

Waterfowl Responsiveness: birds would check up but didn’t fully decoy. Checkup was enough.

Hunters: solo

Guns: M2 12

Malfunctions: none

Dog(s): Legh. A mudhole special chauffeured retrieve on what would have been a long, early swim. 27-28 is about my temp limit on Legh as she’s an inside couch potato and we were below that threshold. Second duck fell behind us on dry land and she did a nice job on a cripple post hunt that I thought was lost.

Special Equipment:

Curses: none

Kudos: Nice, crisp morning.

Birds By Species: 3 wood ducks.

Photo Ops: Chilly fingers stayed in gloves.

Lagniappe: felt good to be back afield after being at the house for 9 days.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:43 am

Duck Engr wrote:Lagniappe: felt good to be back afield after being at the house for 9 days.

I'll bet.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Been meaning to update the rice impoundment projects but keep forgetting. The little pond held a handful of wood ducks for a couple of weeks prior to the season. Haven’t seen anything except a pair on it since season opened.

The new impoundment across the road is finally starting to see more birds. Saw 15 GWT on it today along with a couple dozen wood ducks. Nothing exciting yet, but it’s a start. Enough for them to hopefully tell some buddies. Based on game camera pictures, we seem to be the go-to place when it gets cold. Granted these are snoozer numbers for you Louisiana guys but remember, I’m in southeast Alabama. I’ve decided not to hunt the bigger impoundment for the first 2-3 years to hopefully let numbers build. My son will be 5 years old 3 years from now and I’d like to maximize his chances at seeing birds if he decides he wants to go.

As Rick predicted, the hogs do in fact like rice, so they had their fill pre and post massive flood from hurricane Sally. Some seed managed to survive both calamities and I assume that’s what the birds are eating now. Sure would like to kill one duck just to see what they’re eating.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 am

Sounds promising for sure ! Neat project
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:15 am

Date: 1/6/2021

Time: morning before work

Cloud Cover: clear with a light to moderate fog about 50’ high off the water.

Wind Direction and Velocity: NE light

Temperature: 31

Moon phase: quarter waning

Special Notes:

Waterfowl Activity: poor. SAW 15 ducks.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: woodies on a mission

Hunters: 2, took my boss Al on his first duck outing of the year.

Guns:

Malfunctions: only lingering COVID symptom I have is a very slight and occasional balance issue. Getting better by the day, but the “smoke” on the water coupled with wind and my boat’s light messed with me a little on the ride in. Nothing debilitating, but a little uncomfortable.

Dog(s): Legh

Special Equipment:

Curses: lack of ducks

Kudos: Al is pleasant company.

Birds By Species: DNS

Photo Ops:

Lagniappe: Saw a tenth of what I saw ten days ago. Don’t know where they went.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:02 pm

At least you're getting out.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:02 pm

And that’s all I do it for. Fresh air and an adventure for the pup before work.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:37 am

Duck Engr wrote:And that’s all I do it for. Fresh air and an adventure for the pup before work.

Ive traveled 6000 miles to fire about 27 shots at 14 or 15 ducks. Im not done yet
Ricky Spanish

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:46 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:And that’s all I do it for. Fresh air and an adventure for the pup before work.

Ive traveled 6000 miles to fire about 27 shots at 14 or 15 ducks. Im not done yet
My miles to duck ratio isn’t quite that high, but it’s getting there.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:01 pm

Date: 1/9/2021

Time: morning

Location: somewhat local private impoundment below a huge ~400 acre private lake. My buddy who invited me used to manage the property. Doesn’t anymore as he had to get a better-paying job once kids came but still gets permission a time or two per year.

Cloud Cover: supposed to be partly, but was just cloudy.

Wind Direction and Velocity: northwest 7-10.

Temperature: chilly. 28 or so.

Moon phase:

Special Notes: knew we were cooked as soon as we pulled up and flipped the spot light on the impoundment. Water was 2’ higher than it should be and sesbania was 10’ tall with a hole mowed out in it. My buddy used to plant it and manage the water level properly.

Waterfowl Activity: Could hear all kinds of fowl roosted in the sesbania before daylight. As soon as shooting hours rolled around they abandoned ship for another swamp to our east. From all the banging, sounded like those folks did pretty fine.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: all had their minds made up to leave the roost

Hunters:2

Guns:

Malfunctions: deep water. Had to do everything from a pirogue

Dog(s): Legh and Scout

Special Equipment:

Curses:

Kudos:

Birds By Species: 1 ringneck to break the scratch.

Photo Ops:

Lagniappe: went over to our property 8 miles west as the crow flies after the hunt. Still 20 or so teal hanging around the baker impoundment with a handful of woodies and mergs.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

2020-2021 Duck Season

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:23 pm

Change of pace. Been getting my butt kicked by ducks so went on a quail “hunt” with Dad. Hunt in quotes because we have so few quail that we only shoot them on our family thanksgiving Day hunt. They get a pass the rest of the year.

Date:1/10/2021

Time: afternoon.

Cloud Cover: cloudy with sun peeking through occasionally.

Wind Direction and Velocity: light north

Temperature: chilly

Moon phase:

Special Notes: went on horseback behind the English pointers. Dad riding Elvis with me on Jackson.

Waterfowl Activity: rode by the little pond we planted in rice and saw 15 or so woodies. May come up before work this week one day to get Legh a few reps.

Waterfowl Responsiveness:

Hunters: Dad and I

Guns: Cap pistol

Malfunctions: Elvis has some days where he’s just jumpy. Horse being a horse I guess. We weren’t 100 yards from the barn and he saw a dog out of the corner of his eye and jumped sideways into me and jackson. Freaked Jackson out so bad he was full body quivering for the next 30 minutes. Thought it might turn into a rodeo for me but he eventually cooled off.

Dog(s): first brace we ran our old dog Kacee by herself. She’s a pointer built like a bulldog and has really slowed down this year as she approaches 10 years old. She still enjoys it so we still take her. Zero finds.

Sadie and Tad for the second brace. They’re really coming into their own as a duo. Both ran hard and covered a ton of ground. Tad had a nice find as we headed back to the barn with Sadie honoring. Only 7-8 birds in the covey though. Hawks and owls have been busy.

Special Equipment: GPS collars on dogs and saddles/bridles on horses.

Curses: none today

Kudos: relaxing to ride for a few hours and reminisce on my youth when I used to do this almost every weekend from November through February, when I didn’t chase these stupid ducks like I do now.

Birds By Species: 1 covey find for Tad

Photo Ops: Image
Jackson “stretching out” so I can get on and off easier. I’m 6’ 1” but he’s a big horse.

My view from atop my mount.

Hard to see what’s going on here but Tad is getting an “atta boy” from Dad after the birds had flushed. Sadie is honoring on the left side of the pic.

Lagniappe:
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:41 am

That is awesome! I haven't seen a quail around here in many years. They were part of my youth in the field, and the flush is something I miss. I had been startled more than once back then while walking hedgerows to find a spot to stand while dove hunting. It's been many, many years since I've heard the calls of bobwhite regrouping in the evenings. The many acres of dirty harvested fields with hedgerows are also gone.

Next weekend my son and I will try to walk up a few woodcock now that the gun season for deer is closed in a certain area. I wish I had my old setter from years ago with me today.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 am

Remnants of the Old South. Were you wearing white coats?
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:41 am

Rick wrote:Remnants of the Old South. Were you wearing white coats?
Haha we definitely don’t have enough money for that. I also saddled my own horse. No hired hands.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 am

DComeaux wrote:That is awesome! I haven't seen a quail around here in many years. They were part of my youth in the field, and the flush is something I miss. I had been startled more than once back then while walking hedgerows to find a spot to stand while dove hunting. It's been many, many years since I've heard the calls of bobwhite regrouping in the evenings. The many acres of dirty harvested fields with hedgerows are also gone.

Next weekend my son and I will try to walk up a few woodcock now that the gun season for deer is closed in a certain area. I wish I had my old setter from years ago with me today.
Wild birds seem to be making a little bit of a comeback. We had enough to hunt and shoot up until the mid 90s. Then, despite our best management efforts, almost nothing for 20 years. Over the last few years we’ve had a covey or two around. This year we have at least 4. Hoping that trend continues. 9 am is a lot easier on the body than 3 am.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:17 am

Very cool! Thanks for sharing
Darren

Next

Return to Duck Engr 2020-2021