Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:54 am

Appears remarkable progress and must be some FEMA pile from so many similar camps.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:42 am

Get it DC! Heading in right direction
Darren

Postby MARSH BEAR » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:27 am

Dave - a local in Hackberry, who before his health prevents him was a commercial fisherman. He told us that Cameron Parish was going to remain closed to hunting, fishing, crabbing and shrimping until January 1, have you heard anything to confirm this??
MARSH BEAR

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:Dave - a local in Hackberry, who before his health prevents him was a commercial fisherman. He told us that Cameron Parish was going to remain closed to hunting, fishing, crabbing and shrimping until January 1, have you heard anything to confirm this??

I haven't seen anything more on hunting or fishing in Cameron parish other than what I posted above on the 12th. We were reimbursed our lease fees so hunting is out for us this year on that property. We will however be in there during the winter to assess our future hunting situation on that property. We know at least three of the boat hide blinds are gone and the fate of our blind, which was sunk in the ground and filled with water after last season, is yet to be determined.
DComeaux

Postby BGkirk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:49 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:Dave - a local in Hackberry, who before his health prevents him was a commercial fisherman. He told us that Cameron Parish was going to remain closed to hunting, fishing, crabbing and shrimping until January 1, have you heard anything to confirm this??
Idk about closed but I could see them
Still enforcing the curfew. However, after yesterday seeing about 30-50 vehicles (including myself) waiting at chessons til 6am and once the cop moved it was a mad house. There’s more chances of a wreck happening because of that then letting hunters or whoever go through. I assume they are doing the same on yas side of the lake? And big duck season will only be worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:22 am

Looks like y'all made some good progress Dave, and sorry you had to cancel your trip...........Happy Anniversary anyway, and know it is one you will not soon forget!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:33 am

BGkirk wrote:
Still enforcing the curfew. However, after yesterday seeing about 30-50 vehicles (including myself) waiting at chessons til 6am and once the cop moved it was a mad house. There’s more chances of a wreck happening because of that then letting hunters or whoever go through. I assume they are doing the same on yas side of the lake? And big duck season will only be worse

With the amount of power line trucks and workers in that area along with many large debris trucks fitted with boom and grapple, these working and taking up one lane of the road, it can only be a hindrance for those crews having to deal with unnecessary traffic. I saw a few vehicles come by with fishing rods hanging out of the window, swerving in and out of the line trucks, and a few people lined up on the side of the road trying to crab in that acidic, stagnant water. These people setting up right near marsh grass piles, these that are lining the roads for miles with these grapple trucks trying to work.

A little restraint, common sense and the seems to be lost behavior of courtesy is all that is needed. Don't be surprised if they shut down the unnecessary access and subsequent traffic in the near future, One accident due to unnecessary behavior is too much for an already overstressed system.
DComeaux

Postby BGkirk » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:56 pm

DComeaux wrote:
BGkirk wrote:

With the amount of power line trucks and workers in that area along with many large debris trucks fitted with boom and grapple, these working and taking up one lane of the road, it can only be a hindrance for those crews having to deal with unnecessary traffic. I saw a few vehicles come by with fishing rods hanging out of the window, swerving in and out of the line trucks, and a few people lined up on the side of the road trying to crab in that acidic, stagnant water. These people setting up right near marsh grass piles, these that are lining the roads for miles with these grapple trucks trying to work.

A little restraint, common sense and the seems to be lost behavior of courtesy is all that is needed. Don't be surprised if they shut down the unnecessary access and subsequent traffic in the near future, One accident due to unnecessary behavior is too much for an already overstressed system.
I could only imagine what was going on further south of us, and assumed that was more of the reason for the curfew business and attempting to decrease unnecessary traffic.
Not to excuse myself in anyway as I did weave through one or two sets of line trucks Saturday.

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:18 am

Anyone want to go in with me to bid these properties? I would like to bid on tracts I and J.

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) is accepting bids for three tracts of property on White Lake Wetlands Conservation Area (WCA) in Vermilion Parish. The bid deadline is Oct. 7.

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) is accepting bids for three tracts of property on White Lake Wetlands Conservation Area (WCA) in Vermilion Parish. The bid deadline is Oct. 7.
Available tracts include:
Tract H- 611 acres for the sole purpose of grazing cattle, alligator trapping and maintaining a single campsite location;

Tract I- 18,545 acres for the sole purpose of recreational waterfowl and other game bird hunting, deer hunting, rabbit hunting, recreational reptile and amphibian harvest and one campsite location;
Tract J- 640 acres for the sole purpose of recreational waterfowl and other game bird hunting, deer hunting, rabbit hunting and recreational reptile and amphibian harvest

Bid documents, a draft lease agreement, maps and other information can be found on the White Lake WCA website at
https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/page/whit ... ation-area).
DComeaux

Preseason

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:56 am

I could prolly pitch in a couple hundy.

Question is why is public land getting sold (or are these leases?)? Budget shortfall?
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:52 am

Duck Engr wrote:I could prolly pitch in a couple hundy.

Question is why is public land getting sold (or are these leases?)? Budget shortfall?

The land was donated to the state by AMACO some years back but retained the mineral rights. See below.

White Lake WCA is a self-sustaining property; it operates without any state tax dollars. Revenue is generated on the property through alligator and alligator egg harvest, lottery waterfowl hunts, lottery fishing permits, and leases for agriculture, hunting, fishing and other surface uses. BP Amoco maintains mineral rights for the entire property, so the property does not receive any funding from oil and gas production, exploration or mineral leases.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:43 pm

Not only do they not come cheap, but there are more restrictive stipulations in those leases "than Carter has (had?) little liver pills".
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Interesting back story. Thanks for the info DC.

I can only imagine the restrictions on those. Lots of hands stirring the pot.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby BGkirk » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:00 pm

So are these tracts hunted now or is this the first they’ve done this before ?

BGkirk

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:42 pm

While the state initially extended AMACO's deals, some of which were the textbook definition of "sweetheart deals," the current bid system has been in place for a while now - and generates a lot more money for the state. Just, apparently, not enough to make up for what AMACO was willing to put into their marsh land's maintenance.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Rick wrote:While the state initially extended AMACO's deals, some of which were the textbook definition of "sweetheart deals," the current bid system has been in place for a while now - and generates a lot more money for the state. Just, apparently, not enough to make up for what AMACO was willing to put into their marsh land's maintenance.
Similar to Cameron parish school
Board bidding process? Or still who you know kinda thing

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:06 pm

BGkirk wrote:
Rick wrote:While the state initially extended AMACO's deals, some of which were the textbook definition of "sweetheart deals," the current bid system has been in place for a while now - and generates a lot more money for the state. Just, apparently, not enough to make up for what AMACO was willing to put into their marsh land's maintenance.

Sort of... The minimum bid accepted on those two sections is just under 250K for one year.
DComeaux

Preseason

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:18 pm

Here you go Dave. If an outfitter is subleasing it this late in the year there’s no way it’s a gar hole, right?

Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:25 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Here you go Dave. If an outfitter is subleasing it this late in the year there’s no way it’s a gar hole, right?

I saw that last week. It went down 2K since his last post.
DComeaux

Postby Johnc » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Stay out of that.
Johnc

Postby Johnc » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:36 am

A.If it was that good the “outfitter” would hunt it

It is in a good place but that doesn’t mean there are not variables that must be dealt with

B.This guy is trying to make money by skimming off the top. You got to be real careful with these sublease deals
Johnc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:50 am

Johnc wrote:A.If it was that good the “outfitter” would hunt it

It is in a good place but that doesn’t mean there are not variables that must be dealt with

B.This guy is trying to make money by skimming off the top. You got to be real careful with these sublease deals

I know the area and didn't plan on messing with this. It's been on FB for a couple of weeks with a drop in price and that is telling.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:13 am

Good call DC. I do hope my sarcasm conveyed in my post.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 am

Duck Engr wrote:Good call DC. I do hope my sarcasm conveyed in my post.

It did.
DComeaux

Postby Johnc » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:46 am

DComeaux wrote:
Johnc wrote:A.If it was that good the “outfitter” would hunt it

I know the area and didn't plan on messing with this. It's been on FB for a couple of weeks with a drop in price and that is telling.

Just didn’t want someone with honest interest being suckered by this
Johnc

Postby BGkirk » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:04 am

DComeaux wrote:
BGkirk wrote:

Sort of... The minimum bid accepted on those two sections is just under 250K for one year.
Holy smokes

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:07 pm

Just popped in to say that my daughter and daughter-in-law just gave birth to a grandson and another granddaughter, respectively. My granddaughter was born @ 1:53 pm CDT and my grandson @ 1:52 CDT. Think I might get a lottery ticket today. That make 6 for me now,(5) girls and my new grandson. All are doing good.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:41 pm

DComeaux wrote:Think I might get a lottery ticket today.

No foolin'. Congrats to all involved, and especially the gals who did the work.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:22 pm

Wow what a day DC! Awesome, congrats. Be sure to remember your WFF brethren when you hit it big tonight.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:46 am

Congrats. Heck of a night.
SpinnerMan

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2020-2021