Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby BGkirk » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:26 pm

DComeaux wrote:I was told that running out of the water as I do is not a factor and that I may have had an older shaft installed that had a known issue with stress cracks. They've since changed to a different alloy. The reasoning behind the loose prop, or the prop having 2 to 3 inches of travel on the shaft threads is to eliminate or lessen vibration and noise. With the larger engines they do this same thing with double U-joints in line on the shaft.
Sorry Dave. But I did chuckle when you said the prop flew off as I’m like Rick mentioned, that seems awfully surprising.
What luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:24 pm

BGkirk wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I was told that running out of the water as I do is not a factor and that I may have had an older shaft installed that had a known issue with stress cracks. They've since changed to a different alloy. The reasoning behind the loose prop, or the prop having 2 to 3 inches of travel on the shaft threads is to eliminate or lessen vibration and noise. With the larger engines they do this same thing with double U-joints in line on the shaft.
Sorry Dave. But I did chuckle when you said the prop flew off as I’m like Rick mentioned, that seems awfully surprising.
What luck.

The other shaft issue a year ago was with Blake at the throttle at his house with his brother leaning on the boat. Blake throttled up and it flew off nearly hitting his brother, then it ricocheted off of the house and rolled in the yard.....His brother got in his vehicle and left.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:59 pm

Well, here we go. RV cover is up and I'll try to get my camper under it this weekend. It'll have to be dry, though. The grass is coming back but the new layer of marsh mud under it still gets soft.

I had to listen to "Mexican music" of all sorts blasted from a large speaker during the entire installation.
20210701_083527_resized_1.jpg

All done. The screened area on the slabs next to the cover will slowly be rebuilt over time. We now have a place to sleep while working down there.
20210701_141710_resized.jpg
20210701_133611_resized_1.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:49 am

DComeaux wrote:I had to listen to "Mexican music" of all sorts blasted from a large speaker during the entire installation.

So next time you and Blake are going to do it, right?
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:19 am

Very nice. Looks like the simple and easy way to go

BGkirk

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:56 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I had to listen to "Mexican music" of all sorts blasted from a large speaker during the entire installation.

Ha my thought too! A little music is better than me having to do it myself!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:50 am

Rick wrote:

Duck Engr wrote:
Rick wrote:

Ha my thought too! A little music is better than me having to do it myself!

Not complaining at all. It was amusing to watch them start dancing at the start of every new song. The guy working at elevation spoke no English, and he was a character.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:41 pm

Nice to see y'all making progress Dave!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:15 am

"Everything We Thought We Knew About Snow Geese Was Wrong"
"Hunters have been shooting spring snow geese for 20 years per waterfowl managers, but light geese populations continue to rise. The Outdoor Life Podcast investigates why this is happening"

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/snow-goose-populations-on-the-rise/?fbclid=IwAR2Q9_yV-7LyzGKSKTwcxTYmSLG3feaIKtJTJnYJB7_4lQe9qV7T6JpdMEk
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:27 am

We're just not killing them in any meaningful numbers, and as shown in the table, the numbers are trending downward. Most assumed they were dumb, except for anyone who had actually spent any time chasing them. And with plenty adults in the flights, it will stay that way.

Capture.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:41 am

Shoot them on the roost up to one hour after sunset. That’s when they are most vulnerable to the gun!
Ducaholic

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:30 am

Ducaholic wrote:Shoot them on the roost up to one hour after sunset. That’s when they are most vulnerable to the gun!

Where are the numbers of people that are interested in going out and do that to a half a million or more snow geese on top of what are already harvested.

I used to enjoy snow goose hunting in the spring. Haven't gone in a few years and have no plans to go in the future. Been there. Done that.

I would enjoy going out a time or two and putting the sneak on a roost and smashing a few hundred birds in one group volley. But once or twice, not year after year.

Just like I used to like to shoot the jumping Asian carp. People used to put hundreds to thousands in the boat in one night. One boat literally put over 4,000 in one night. Filled their boat 3 times. I didn't have the right boat for those numbers, but it was fun. But it got old. The club I was part of took 15,000 in one tournament. I doubt they get much over 1,000 in their big tournament anymore because people simply are not interested any more in big piles of dead fish. It becomes more work than fun.

There are just not that many people that want 100 geese or that want to go shoot a 100 geese and dump them like we do the Asian carp.

I don't see a solution. As you point out, geese live a long time, so every sizable flock has a lot of old eyes with a couple pellets in their ass looking the decoys over. It's hard to consistently get big numbers over decoys.

Probably the only solution is to allow commercial harvest and even then I doubt there is a commercial market.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:46 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Probably the only solution is to allow commercial harvest and even then I doubt there is a commercial market.

Sky carp musk is not in demand.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:50 am

DComeaux wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Probably the only solution is to allow commercial harvest and even then I doubt there is a commercial market.

Sky carp musk is not in demand.

Ship 'em to China. They'll eat anything.

Hell, they'll probably pay more for the goose balls than the goose breasts.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:17 pm

"Sky carp" get a bad rap. Perhaps jealousy, because they're smarter than we are.
Rick

Previous

Return to DComeaux 2020-2021