Preseason

Preseason

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:28 am

The wife and I made another trip to the camp yesterday afternoon and was met there by a relative who diverted on his way home from Houston. We left the camp screened area an empty shell, taking everything worth anything and more. There were a few that had made a previous trip as we did but came back to do the same. I really feel for the people that live down there.

The one road in and out was buzzing with activity as a mandatory evacuation was announced as of 1 pm yesterday afternoon. There were many trucks with trailers filled with cattle that lined the roads. Trucks and trailers filled with appliances and such were rolling north. As we were driving back at dark 30 there were still a few in the marsh driving cattle with horses and air boats.

I paused for a moment to look around as we were leaving and the scene was surreal. The emptiness of our little slice of paradise was real and it was eerily quiet. I pray for those living down there, that they are spared the worst of this storms potential. I had noticed that the only vehicle and person left in that area as we pulled out was the priest of the catholic church that I attend during the hunting season.
I still have a vivid memory of what that church looked like when I drove by after hurricane Rita. I had drove the coast in a convoy for work days after the hurricane to help with the restoration of state emergency communications and I hoped I'd never see that again in my lifetime. All I had remembered when hunting down there was gone, and it never came back as it was to this day.
Last edited by DComeaux on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
DComeaux

Re: Preseason

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:31 am

Tough scene, DC. I likewise will be praying for those folks who live and/or make their living down that way. Hope the livestock makes out better than for Rita, that was horrible.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:25 am

Glad you were able to make a 2nd trip down Dave, and pray that the impact of this storm is lighter than expected.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:30 am

I found out Sunday that our lease neighbor had just repaired the water control structure on his lease which affects the levels for our lease. The levees surrounding our property have large gaps which makes us dependent on his structure for water levels. I was told the water was finally low on our piece and that there were quite a few teal hanging around on the shallow mud flats and grassy areas. This coming from a man in the know who is/was out and about daily dressing blinds.

So much for that......and I had just bought a few shotgun shells for teal season.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:18 pm

That sucks to hear Dave. I know you'd mentioned being at the mercy of your neighbors faulty water control structure for a while. I keep reading the NHC noting it's tracking farther and farther west, but even if it were to hit Galveston I assume the storm surge would be enough to still cause big problems for y'all.

To lighten the mood a little, my buddy sent this to me. Got a few good laughs from it.

https://www.facebook.com/john.gagliano. ... 6349014601
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby BGkirk » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:25 pm

I feel for everyone down that way, but those guys who run cattle especially. I know it’s a way of life down there but I’d hate to move them each time. I know after Rita, several Cameron parish residents relocated in Beauregard and some are still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby MARSH BEAR » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:59 pm

DC - not looking good for our hunting area - wishing you well and prayers for you and me.
MARSH BEAR

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:44 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:DC - not looking good for our hunting area - wishing you well and prayers for you and me.

Thanks. I'm sitting here tonight trying to imagine what's going on down there and It makes me sad. I feel so sorry for those that call it home. I will more than likely not get much sleep tonight.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 am

I have a friend that rode it out in Lake Charles. Just moved there 2 months ago. Got a text at 530 that said “made it”. That’s all I’ve heard from him. Can’t imagine how it was down in Cameron parish.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:40 am

Just texted DC to see if he's hearing anything.

Good friend of mine rode it out on a tug boat in Lake Charles; word was the wind was absolutely legit, up to 130 mph, BUT the storm surge wasn't even close to what was projected around town. Apparently the radio chatter is saying surge down in Cameron wasn't but 8-8.5ft, compared to the 15-20ft projected. Another report I'm hearing via third hand was 9-10 ft max.
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:36 am

Same thing my buddy just said. He had his boat in his garage prepared to launch it if he had to, but the water never came close. That’s a small victory. He’ll need a new roof and lost a lot of siding off of his house, but otherwise his structure still seems sound.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:55 am

Duck Engr wrote:Same thing my buddy just said. He had his boat in his garage prepared to launch it if he had to, but the water never came close. That’s a small victory. He’ll need a new roof and lost a lot of siding off of his house, but otherwise his structure still seems sound.

Wife's aunt's home in LC had its roof torn off, looks like maybe a tornado in the area, pretty bad.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:20 am

This is the only picture of our camp area that seems to be on the internet. Ground access was not possible yesterday so a sheriff deputy that lives nearby will try to get to the Chenier ridge by boat and I'm hoping for better pictures. My lease guys camp is the white structure near the water tank. it's a trailer lifted on a pretty stout wood pile base and the trailer frame is welded to crossing metal beam supports. There should be a 4 stall boat shed to the left and just in front of his camp which isn't visible in this shot and may be gone.
Further to the left or south of where the boat shed would be, should be two more camps which aren't showing up in this photo. Going west or away from the oak tree in front of my lease guy's camp there is an empty space where 4 camps once stood. There seems to be only one structure remaining in that stretch of property. Next is a line of camps going north from the road and where I show "camp" is where our screened camp and double camper cover should be. We were next to the elevated camp near the end of that red line I drew. I can see some a white object near there in this photo but it seems displaced. In that area there are 4 or 5 structures not visible in this photo that were once camp structures of some sort.
Looking past the camps to the NW there should not be this much water visible. You are looking at an extension of the gulf from the surge. I'm fairly certain we'll be starting from scratch as will many others. I don't even want to think of the blind and boat shed situation at the moment.

Edit to add that the structure to the just east of my lease guy's camp is the church and those white objects next to it is the grave yard.

It's really hard to write using the line tool feature, so please forgive the handwriting..lol!
InkedInked.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:24 am

Tough scene to look at DC. The “extension of the gulf” is wild to try to comprehend.

Has anyone heard from Rick to see how he fared? I know he mentioned he wouldn’t be on here for a while as he’s a flip phoner.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:59 am

Duck Engr wrote:Tough scene to look at DC. The “extension of the gulf” is wild to try to comprehend.

Has anyone heard from Rick to see how he fared? I know he mentioned he wouldn’t be on here for a while as he’s a flip phoner.

I just talked to Rick. He has a hole in his roof from a branch that fell which pushed the plywood to the floor in the living room, and they will be out of power for some time.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:37 am

Dave, glad to know that you are alright! Very humbling to see the destruction, but know that camps can be replaced.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:54 am

DComeaux wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:Tough scene to look at DC. The “extension of the gulf” is wild to try to comprehend.

I just talked to Rick. He has a hole in his roof from a branch that fell which pushed the plywood to the floor in the living room, and they will be out of power for some time.
Good to know he’s ok though a shame to hear about the tree damage to the roof. Hope he’s able to get that tarped over soon.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:26 am

Would you look at this crap!

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:30 am

DComeaux wrote:Would you look at this crap!

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
2020 is like my 2 year old. Only has one speed. Wide open throttle.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:57 pm

A camp neighbor had a friend flying his place one ridge north of us today (little Chenier) and asked if he could drop down and take a few photos of our place. The red arrow points to our screened area and I can see that our dual camper cover and front awning is missing. We also have what appears to be a detached back room with debris piled on. The camp next to us (south) with the orange roof had a full balcony porch with a staircase on the front of it and a 30' long boat cover with partial sides. That is all gone. What a mess.

Inked96272_LI.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:22 am

That’s a real shame DC. Maybe one day we’ll figure out how to disrupt these things
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby ryan_k » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:37 am

Little Chenier Road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ryan_k

Postby DComeaux » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:41 pm

Satellite shot of before and after of our camp area.

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (3).png

This is a photo taken of the back side of our camp today. I'll be getting more and better photos tomorrow.
InkedCamp_LI.jpg

Teal season is out for this year and the regular season doesn't look promising. We and our neighbors have a lot of work to do, and I'm not touching a thing until hurricane season has ended for the year.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Lots of work ahead.

Front right side view of what's left.
FR (2).jpg

Front left side
FL (1).jpg

Rear view
b.jpg

This was during construction to meet "code" when we bought it two years ago . This picture would match fairly close to the front left view above.
Before.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:52 pm

Sorry Dave!
Ducaholic

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:04 pm

No fun to see Dave. Glad to see you talking about “work ahead” instead of “to heck with it”. How does this compare to what y’all had or didn’t have left after Rita or Ike?
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby BGkirk » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Dave how high was the surge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:39 am

Very sorry to see it, DC. Open invite to come east for CZ opener as I mentioned on the phone the other day
Darren

Postby MARSH BEAR » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:55 am

Sorry to see what the storm did to your place. Hackberry did not fare any better the roof is gone on the camp, and two storage buildings. Like you we will not be able to hunt for teal season.
I don't think we will have electricity for 4 to six weeks. There is not 1 utility pole standing from Sulphur to Hackberry.
MARSH BEAR

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:58 am

MARSH BEAR wrote:Sorry to see what the storm did to your place. Hackberry did not fare any better the roof is gone on the camp, and two storage buildings. Like you we will not be able to hunt for teal season.
I don't think we will have electricity for 4 to six weeks. There is not 1 utility pole standing from Sulphur to Hackberry.

Very sorry to hear it, MB.
Darren

Next

Return to DComeaux 2020-2021