Improvement ideas for my duck boat

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Improvement ideas for my duck boat

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Plus I don't know what you have for an anchor on your jerk rig, but I wouldn't trust the rubber to hold up that long yanking that anchor on my rig-em-right jerk kit.

For just short moves with the boat (getting birds, moving decoys, etc), I have a long push pole to move it around instead of firing up the motor. It's a stairway banister with a swamp foot on the end. It must be about 13ft since the boat is 14. Having that big pole is pretty handy :thumbsup:
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I don't understand what your trying to do?

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

I am trying to fuck it up with bells and whistels.

No, the idea was that instead of having the jerk rig get all tangled, etc. it could be mounted on the boat with the line on a reel, like a deep sea reel. Then you wade over, grab the rig, walk out a ways and fling it. You can then work the spread and when you are ready to go, you reel it up.

Tripod says I am over thinking it. He has never had one tangled up I guess.

Goldie I am gonna get a pole, Jarbo has all ready filled me in.
Tomkat

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:26 pm

Mine doesn't really ever get tangled because I keep it simple. I pull the rope back to the boat and over the top of the blind. It doesn't seem to flare the birds not being under water, and when the dog swims out and into the line I throw the handle out past the dog and get out of the boat to get it off the dog before he panics.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Tomkat wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I don't understand what your trying to do?

I am trying to fuck it up with bells and whistels.

No, the idea was that instead of having the jerk rig get all tangled, etc. it could be mounted on the boat with the line on a reel, like a deep sea reel. Then you wade over, grab the rig, walk out a ways and fling it. You can then work the spread and when you are ready to go, you reel it up.

Tripod says I am over thinking it. He has never had one tangled up I guess.

Goldie I am gonna get a pole, Jarbo has all ready filled me in.

Overcreative laziness, I like it. :thumbsup:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:05 pm

OK, how about running lights? I have been looking at LED lights, they are a bit more than I would like to spend...
Tomkat

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Tk, WIth a blind like yoursit would be cheap to go get a canvas tarp to cover the frame and then brush it. Luan as suggested or masonite both work. Seal any of them even the tarp with thompsons water seal first and it should be waterproof and last a long time. Lights, I have two walmart lights in mine mounted up on the side angled down so the light shines on the floor not in your eyes. I have these lights, my running lights and spotlight outlets wired to a different battery than my motor cranking battery. Your boat should be fine with one heater. I use the mr. heater with the stand made on it that sits on the floor. You can flip it up and cook on it. You can get smaller bulk tanks than the typical 20 pounder if you want to save on weight. 11 pounders are pretty nice. Store your tank outside your blind if possible and run your hose into the blind. Anything else?
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby Tomkat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Coffee! We want hot coffee in the boat. GKR gave me a 500 watt inverter, I hope thats enough to brew some java up.

I like the tarp idea. When my grass is gone I may look at that.
Tomkat

Postby BrewGUN » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:18 pm

coleman stove with the coleman coffee maker, works great and makes a full pot. we used to have an electric 12v one on the barge, but after several pots it will kill a battery.
BrewGUN

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Tom,
All of this talk about sinking money into your boat tells me one thing, get rid of the boat and tag along with someone else. Been easy hunting since I ditched mine and let someone else front the boat bills. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:31 pm

Thank you Brewgun, good to know.

Eric, I always wanted to have a boat. I live 10 minutes from the ramp. Additionally, I have a good way to store it and lots of room at my place for a boat. In fact, I have 2 boats, one is a layout with a double decker trailer.

I dont mind providing the boat for my home boys; they have done a lot of nice things for me. GKR and I have endured some crappy and brutal hunts together (and some good ones) GKR has given me all kinds of spare parts, etc from his junk business. He has been a good friend to me.

Jarbo has gone out of his way to be a hunting buddy to me. I have got to know his brother and hunted with his dad. He has taught me a lot about dogs and waterfowl in general. This fall I let him and DJJ use my rifle range while I was at work, that is the level of trust I have towards all of the KKK.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Does anyone use an electric winch on their boat? It would be pretty cool to simply push a button...
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Tomkat wrote:Thank you Brewgun, good to know.

Eric, I always wanted to have a boat. I live 10 minutes from the ramp. Additionally, I have a good way to store it and lots of room at my place for a boat. In fact, I have 2 boats, one is a layout with a double decker trailer.

I dont mind providing the boat for my home boys; they have done a lot of nice things for me. GKR and I have endured some crappy and brutal hunts together (and some good ones) GKR has given me all kinds of spare parts, etc from his junk business. He has been a good friend to me.

Jarbo has gone out of his way to be a hunting buddy to me. I have got to know his brother and hunted with his dad. He has taught me a lot about dogs and waterfowl in general. This fall I let him and DJJ use my rifle range while I was at work, that is the level of trust I have towards all of the KKK.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Does anyone use an electric winch on their boat? It would be pretty cool to simply push a button...

I was being sarcastic Tom. That's generally how people are when it comes to expensive stuff. I don't have a fishing or hunting boat. My father in law has a Nitro z-9 for fishing and we never do any river hunting that requires a hunting boat...all out of natural blinds or layouts so any jon boat works. I would love to have an hunting boat someday, but for now my sneak boat will have to suffice.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:14 pm

the layout boat is pretty cool. But I have to admit its nice to cruise in the boat. I have the best of both worlds going on.
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Tomkat wrote:the layout boat is pretty cool. But I have to admit its nice to cruise in the boat. I have the best of both worlds going on.

Not just east. I've lived north, south, midwest and overseas. It's everywhere. Maybe that's why it took me until I was 26 to get a "crew"

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:09 am

Come on out and hunt with our crew.
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:24 am

UPDATE:
Goodkarmarising aquired a propane bottle I will use on the Mary Frances for heat and to cook with. I am still researching LED interior lights...
Tomkat

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360678011.754423.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:22 am

Thats what I'm talking about!!!
Tomkat

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:44 am

My boat has heat too. Notice the steam in the picture from stuff drying?
The coffee maker isn't too good an idea imo.
You'll need a 2000 watt inverter. I wonder if one deep cycle battery will even make a pot of coffee that way.
My 900 watt generator would make coffee but it wasn't hot. I think a coffee maker uses about 1500 watts. That's more than a TV.

arkansas2013 113.jpg

Use this and the heater...
710955_138x138.jpg

#39.99 at Target. :thumbsup:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Acorn,
Thanks for the boat picture.

I agree a plug in coffee maker probably wont work well.

Jarbo has that same coffee maker, he showed it to me Sun night. I am leaning towards an old school metal perculator pot on a open flame stove at this point. GoodkarmaRising has a propane bottle for me that will run both.

I am thinking about making a Barney Calef style metal frame/tin cover type back stop blind...
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Jehler runs the open flame kind of pot on his boat. Pretty slick setup he had. I'm more of a KISS kind of boat owner and prefer to bring a thermos.

Sent from my phone
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Olly wrote:Jehler runs the open flame kind of pot on his boat. Pretty slick setup he had. I'm more of a KISS kind of boat owner and prefer to bring a thermos.

Sent from my phone

I will be that way, up to a point. I like the idea of a few niceites in the field FOR A CHANGE. I have spent many an hour laying in the freezing mud, ect.
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Flightstopper wrote:

UPDATE: I have aquired some LED lights very similar to these. I plan on running them on whore house red to keep my night vision.

Today I ordered a set of LED lights to for the front. I am thinking they will be most usefull to aim at the landing area while we set out decoys. I have heard mixed reviews on whether they actually help you see while underway. At any rate I like to flip switches so this will give me more lights to play with.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Sounds good Kat, ready to see it in action!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

UPDATE: I have aquired some LED lights very similar to these. I plan on running them on whore house red to keep my night vision.

Today I ordered a set of LED lights to for the front. I am thinking they will be most usefull to aim at the landing area while we set out decoys. I have heard mixed reviews on whether they actually help you see while underway. At any rate I like to flip switches so this will give me more lights to play with.

You're like me, I like accessories :lol: I like my driving lights on the boat also work well for spot lights when setting out decoys.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Can't ever go wrong with lots of lights. :thumbsup:

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 am

Well I spent a lot of time researching them. I want the red lights so I can see what I am tripping over in waders while under way.
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:06 am

UPDATE: My LED head lights came in yesterday. Will be nice to see whats in front of me when needed.
Tomkat

Postby jehler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:21 am

Tomkat wrote:Well I spent a lot of time researching them. I want the red lights so I can see what I am tripping over in waders while under way.

I'm going to switch it for all three
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 am

I would love to see a clip of that!
Tomkat

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum