ain't your Papas bass boat

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: ain't your Papas bass boat

Postby blackrhino » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:08 pm

The fastest I ever saw the GPS read while running my duckboat was 28 mph and that was on straight mud no hydralic pressure just slippery slimery mud. It was like running a airboat when you hit it you can feel the boat speed up.
blackrhino

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 pm

blackrhino wrote:The fastest I ever saw the GPS read while running my duckboat was 28 mph and that was on straight mud no hydralic pressure just slippery slimery mud. It was like running a airboat when you hit it you can feel the boat speed up.

When you are running a mud motor in the straight mud the prop has more traction. In water there will always be slip, but in mud there is less. My boat has a speed increase in thick vegetation too.

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Goldfish wrote:So... what is the reason?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+do+boats+go+fa ... water#seen

The hull is forcing the pressure wave down. When the water is shallow there is no place for it to go = forces the boat up = more speed.
sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using tapatalk 2
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Again depends on the hull.

What you've stated is correct for the mud boats due to hull design. A v-shaped hull has the opposite effect, hence why those hulls squat in shallow water.

Accordingly, the opposite is true in deep water...the v-hull has less drag and therefore moves faster in deep water, and the mud boat with a flat hull has more drag (due to higher surface area in contact with the water) and since it doesn't have the advantage of the bottom to gain "lift" from the hydraulic wave, it's slower in deep water.

Makes perfect sense.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby capt1972 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:15 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Again depends on the hull.

What you've stated is correct for the mud boats due to hull design. A v-shaped hull has the opposite effect, hence why those hulls squat in shallow water.

Accordingly, the opposite is true in deep water...the v-hull has less drag and therefore moves faster in deep water, and the mud boat with a flat hull has more drag (due to higher surface area in contact with the water) and since it doesn't have the advantage of the bottom to gain "lift" from the hydraulic wave, it's slower in deep water.

Makes perfect sense.

What your referring to here is called stern suction. It has more to do with the prop "sucking" to the bottom than hull design. This same effect will happen when running very close to a bank of a river. Its called bank suction. Bank suction can be further enhanced by bow cushion in the bow. Bow cushion pushes the bow away from the bank. Same principle as running in shallow water and lifting the boat.
Last edited by capt1972 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Right. I don't know squat about v hulls since I don't have one, but what you said makes sense

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using tapatalk 2
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum