My duck boat project

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

My duck boat project

Postby Baysider » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 am

This has been an ongoing project for some time now. I pieced the trailer, boat, and motor together as I found good deals. With the rig, paint, blind, and accessories Im still under a grand on cost. :D It was a lot of fun grinding all the 5 layers copper paint off the bottom. Apparently the previous owner hadnt heard of like metals and how they react to eachother. There was minor pitting in a few spots but I repaired the areas and any suspect rivets I found.
Here it is after I got all the pieces together.
duck%20boat%201.JPG

duck%20boat%202.JPG

Once I got all of the copper paint off I sanded the rest and put two coats of rustoleum metal primer on the outside of the hull.
primer.JPG

primer 2.JPG

I used a oil based primer and finding an oil based paint locally was a pain. I had enough flat marine oil paint for the top coats but not enough to do the base coats. I ended up going with the only oil paint I could find which was a gloss paint. Gloss is a harder paint so it didnt hurt my feelings any. In the end I left the bottom were the boat sits on the water in gloss. Im hoping it will help it slide over the seaside mud some. When wet its slick as owl sheet.
Two coats of gloss.
paint.jpg

I didnt get a picture of the sides or bottom with the flat but here is the interior and bow. I had just enough paint to do what was visible with the false floors installed so the area under them didnt get painted yet. The guy I bought the motor from had an extra cowl for the motor so I painted one to match the boat.
flat.JPG

I bought the blind with avery grass on it for $30 from a co worker. The grass is a bit worn but Ive gotten a few pieces from hunting buddies to patch it up a bit. The local hunting store did have one pack of the mid season grass and it does blend a lot better with our marsh here so I bought it. When they get some more I'll redo the other side, but for now I'll park with the bad side to the marsh.
I added a rope from the attachment point on the bow to stern on both sides and zip tied the grass and burlap to it. This should keep the blind from coming in the boat on the bottom when the wind blows hard, and it keeps the interior a little more open.
interior.JPG

boat.JPG

I have some grass to go over the top, bow and stern. Im in the process of coming up with something light enough not to cause the blind to sag but still support the top pieces so we have something to get under when the birds are working, and to reduce the "black hole" in the middle of the blind.
Thanks for looking.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Re: My duck boat project

Postby capt1972 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:48 am

:thumbsup:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:15 pm

That looks really good. I've been kicking around the idea of a new boat that I can put a mud motor on. Watching other's builds doesn't help quench that, lol.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Looks nice, ive got one about the same set up, gotta get the blind build for it next year.
Is it just me or does anyone else think the grass should go the other way, pointing up? I had it laid out both ways on my boat a few years back and though pointing up gave it more depth and natural movement.
BrewGUN

Postby Baysider » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks fellas.

BrewGUN I had thought about how I wanted to hang the grass. The old stuff thats left on the other side was hung that way you're talking about. Its so worn now you cant tell, but still thick enough with some patches to work. I went the way I did because I didnt want the straight line of the top or eerr.....bottom to be showing on the finished edge of the mat. Now you've got me second guessing though. I have another mat left. I'll have to play around and see what looks best. I guess you could always roll that finished edge under and tie it.
I ran the motor last night and wasnt happy with the amount of water it circulated. I have a pump kit on order and went ahead and got the carb rebuild kit too.
Baysider

Postby Baysider » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 am

New water pump, plugs, rebuilt carb, and in the water. That old '76 ran like a top and moved along pretty good. I'll be hunting out of it for the first time Saturday and then again Monday. Looks like some weather might be hitting north of us so maybe it'll bring down some birds.
Baysider

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 am

Fat chance of that. Did you guys open yesterday, too?
assateague

Postby Baysider » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:51 am

We came back in on Saturday. I have some days to burn so Ive taken the Mondays off this month and then the last week and a half of the year. :beer:
Sounds like you need to head south man. We've been killing our share, and you're welcome anytime.
Baysider

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Appreciate it. Got company coming this weekend and next, wanting to go ducking, never been, so I'm going to do what I can up here. :lol:
assateague

Postby Baysider » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 pm

I got ready to type one of those welcome to the sport you newcomer posts but I figured I'd save you the reading. :lol:

If it makes you feel any better I have hit two drake sprigs in the past few weeks and had them turn and laugh as they flew away. I have encountered my very own "white whale". This weeked Im breaking out the 10ga and hot handloads. I will not stop shooting until I have him in my hands. :lol:
Baysider

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby jehler » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:58 pm

BrewGUN wrote:Looks nice, ive got one about the same set up, gotta get the blind build for it next year.
Is it just me or does anyone else think the grass should go the other way, pointing up? I had it laid out both ways on my boat a few years back and though pointing up gave it more depth and natural movement.

Why don't you get that butch going so we have it for spearing in the spring, I have a second genny you know ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:30 am

jehler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:Looks nice, ive got one about the same set up, gotta get the blind build for it next year.

Why don't you get that butch going so we have it for spearing in the spring, I have a second genny you know ;)

Its ready to roll, I put the choke part back on it this fall, so lets kill some fish! Should we invite Jgun? He might break everything or push us out of the boat!
BrewGUN

Postby Baysider » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:44 am

My son and I had our first hunt from the boat Saturday. Warm, no wind, and sunny made for a great dipper shoot. :lol: My boy had a blast.
spread.jpg

Waylan.JPG

boat.JPG

1 drake 3 hens.JPG
Baysider

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 am

I'll say this for buffies, they're reliable! :lol:
assateague

Postby obxbufflehead » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:18 am

assateague wrote:I'll say this for buffies, they're reliable! :lol:

Yes they are. And they can be fun to shoot sometimes too.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Baysider » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 am

assateague wrote:I'll say this for buffies, they're reliable! :lol:

Yes they are. They are great for kids where they typically move a lot and provide pretty fast gunning. I was started on buffies and once I could knock them down consitantly shooting a big ole slow mallard was a piece of cake. :lol:
Baysider

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum