Sculling

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Sculling

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Anybody have any links for a sculling oar/hardware? I've been thinking about rigging something up on the motor mount of my hybrid, and try to scull it, rather than paddle. It sways side to side tremendously, and I was thinking that a sculling motion will probably make it go straighter, and give me more bang for my buck when paddling, so to speak. Whenever I Google it, I just get a bunch of those gay college rowing team-type scull boats, and that's not what I'm looking for. Any search tips or links would be greatly appreciated.
assateague

Sculling

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Jim just google "waterfowling sculling." I'd post links for ya but I don't know how. There's a few sculling forums as well as boat manufacturers.

In regards to your hybrid swaying side to side, I'm assuming you have a keel on it. Every scull boat I've seen and used has a keel. An amateur sculler usually ha problems keeping his boat straight. I still do at times.

I'm also not sure you'd get more bang for your buck compared to paddling. Sculling is exhausting. Not near as easy as paddling. What about putting oar locks on your rig and rowing?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Re: Sculling

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Redbeard wrote:Jim just google "waterfowling sculling." I'd post links for ya but I don't know how. There's a few sculling forums as well as boat manufacturers.

In regards to your hybrid swaying side to side, I'm assuming you have a keel on it. Every scull boat I've seen and used has a keel. An amateur sculler usually ha problems keeping his boat straight. I still do at times.

I'm also not sure you'd get more bang for your buck compared to paddling. Sculling is exhausting. Not near as easy as paddling. What about putting oar locks on your rig and rowing?

I've only ever been in one scull boat and It was a lot easier to use a kayak paddle.

There is a company here in oregon that builds scull boats and paddles. I'll try and find a link.
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

http://boat-manufacturers.findthebest.c ... cull-Boats

status says they're out of business. ???? This is the company I was thinking of.
duckkillerclyde

Sculling

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm

A lot of the old scull boat builders are outta business on account it was a dying art. Although it as of late, it's starting to come back alittle
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Sculling

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:41 pm

I may have been mistaken. I thought sculling was closer to what the gondoliers in Venice did, pushing more from the center of the back, rather than paddling from the sides. I'll have to check in to it more.
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:52 pm

assateague wrote:I may have been mistaken. I thought sculling was closer to what the gondoliers in Venice did, pushing more from the center of the back, rather than paddling from the sides. I'll have to check in to it more.

You're right. The handoar goes through a hole in the back of the boat and you kind of swish it around in an "S" pattern to push the boat.
QH's Paw

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
assateague wrote:I may have been mistaken. I thought sculling was closer to what the gondoliers in Venice did, pushing more from the center of the back, rather than paddling from the sides. I'll have to check in to it more.

You're right. The handoar goes through a hole in the back of the boat and you kind of swish it around in an "S" pattern to push the boat.

It's all in the wrist motion.

The boat I was in used a paddle about 10' long handle and about 3' of 'paddle' area. It was no more than 6'' wide. It had a semi-crescent shape and you had to rotate the paddle about 1/3 or a turn between strokes.

You only end up using your wrist and elbow.
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 am

duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:14 am

This is the exact boat I was in.

That photo was obnoxiously large.

Look at this link and this is the guy that builds them. I have only met him once but he let me scull around in his boat. Nice guy.

http://forbesjonassonguideservice.com/w ... nting.html

I met him at marsh boat days that we had a few months ago.
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:19 am

guy on the left, that is.
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:20 am

duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:22 am

duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:25 am

typically when you say scull boat, it's a very long fairly narrow very pointed boat. The scull boat I was in was at least 15' long. While sculling, the owner of the boat could make it move almost as fast as an aquapod that was paddling. While sculling the boat was absolutely SILENT. Very cool if you have the patience to learn how to do it correctly.
duckkillerclyde

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:08 am

Clyde, that is not the type of sculling I'm talking about. Basically, you are talking about oars in oar locks. True sculling for hunting purpose, you have a single oar that literally sticks out a hole in the transom or aft end. You are laying in the boat, not sitting up rowing.
The type of oar I am talking about is not straight, it is offset.
Maybe Red can explain better, I think he has a scull for hunting but, I am assuming it is a hunting scull that you lay and row.
QH's Paw

Sculling

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:40 am

QH's Paw wrote:Clyde, that is not the type of sculling I'm talking about. Basically, you are talking about oars in oar locks. True sculling for hunting purpose, you have a single oar that literally sticks out a hole in the transom or aft end. You are laying in the boat, not sitting up rowing.
Maybe Red can explain better, I think he has a scull for hunting but, I am assuming it is a hunting scull that you lay and row.

QH...it seems you are both describing the same thing, just differently. If you click on Clyde's link and scroll down to the two scull boat pictures, you can see the sculling oar resting in the back of the boat behind the hunter.

Most all scull boats are equipped with oar locks. A hunter may launch his boat but may not actually start his "scull" for quite some time. Rowing is much easier and efficient for traveling distances. It also saves your shoulder. Sculling is hard on your shoulder. It can be exhausting for a rook who hasn't developed those muscles yet.

For anyone looking to try something new in the waterfowling realm, I highly recommend you try sculling. It is a real challenge. There really is an art to it.

I'll break my scull boat out on those sunny, blue bird days when nothing's moving and I'll go to them
Redbeard

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Redbeard wrote: If you click on Clyde's link and scroll down to the two scull boat pictures, you can see the sculling oar resting in the back of the boat behind the hunter.

yes
duckkillerclyde

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Redbeard wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:Clyde, that is not the type of sculling I'm talking about. Basically, you are talking about oars in oar locks. True sculling for hunting purpose, you have a single oar that literally sticks out a hole in the transom or aft end. You are laying in the boat, not sitting up rowing.

QH...it seems you are both describing the same thing, just differently. If you click on Clyde's link and scroll down to the two scull boat pictures, you can see the sculling oar resting in the back of the boat behind the hunter.

Most all scull boats are equipped with oar locks. A hunter may launch his boat but may not actually start his "scull" for quite some time. Rowing is much easier and efficient for traveling distances. It also saves your shoulder. Sculling is hard on your shoulder. It can be exhausting for a rook who hasn't developed those muscles yet.

For anyone looking to try something new in the waterfowling realm, I highly recommend you try sculling. It is a real challenge. There really is an art to it.

I'll break my scull boat out on those sunny, blue bird days when nothing's moving and I'll go to them

I guess when he said the oar was 10' long and the blade portion was 3' by 6" and then showed pictures of raft or driftboat oars, I thought that was what he meant. I don't remember ever seeing a sculling oar longer than 4-5'.
QH's Paw

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:15 pm

there is a scull boat for sale in sacramento $400 on the craigslist.
duckkillerclyde

Sculling

Postby assateague » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 am

I still may have to look into it more. Seems like it may work for me in some situations.
assateague

Postby josh ward » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:28 am

Sculling is an art form, seeped in tradition.....one of my favorite ways to hunt.
HRCH UH Crosspeakes Colonel Cooper HRC 500pt Club
Brandywine's Big nose Kate
Brandywine's Rough Rider
josh ward

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:22 am

QH's Paw wrote:I guess when he said the oar was 10' long and the blade portion was 3' by 6" and then showed pictures of raft or driftboat oars, I thought that was what he meant. I don't remember ever seeing a sculling oar longer than 4-5'.

The sculling oar on my dad's boat is about 7 1/2 feet long.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Baysider » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:45 pm

A little different boat but I think its the same method of propulsion. A great bit of history for our area too.

MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Sculling

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Been helping an old time sculler train his chessie. As a gesture of his gratitude he gave me a sculling oar he just made. This things very sweet. Can't wait to break er in
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342318724.350451.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342318738.083006.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342318757.216820.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342318770.214801.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Redbeard wrote:Been helping an old time sculler train his chessie. As a gesture of his gratitude he gave me a sculling oar he just made. This things very sweet. Can't wait to break er in

Dayum, that thing is razor thin.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Sculling

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Been helping an old time sculler train his chessie. As a gesture of his gratitude he gave me a sculling oar he just made. This things very sweet. Can't wait to break er in

Dayum, that thing is razor thin.

it is. Very flexible. The more flexible it is, the easier it is to handle your boat.
Redbeard

Sculling

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Your gomna have to make some video next time your out. It would be even better if you could get video of the paddle in the water
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Sculling

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Your gomna have to make some video next time your out. It would be even better if you could get video of the paddle in the water

I'll see what I can do
Redbeard

Postby josh ward » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:03 pm

I like quite a bit of flex in my sculling oar ...
HRCH UH Crosspeakes Colonel Cooper HRC 500pt Club
Brandywine's Big nose Kate
Brandywine's Rough Rider
josh ward

Sculling

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 pm

josh ward wrote:I like quite a bit of flex in my sculling oar ...

let's see your boat josh
Redbeard

Next

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum