Homemade Hybrid Duck Boat Build

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Homemade Hybrid Duck Boat Build

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:08 pm

The bondo bill on an 11' boat would probably hurt pretty bad.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 pm

I think it was second only to the resin on my boat, as far as cost goes. Pretty sure I had about $35 in bondo. Hurt pretty bad.

And like I said, the adhesive is plenty to hold it til the glass sets up, so it's not like the bondo in mine is really doing anything besides taking up space. Very expensive space. But I will say I've never tried the mud before, but see no reason why it wouldn't work great. May soak up some resin, so I might coat that first with some resin and let it dry, before laying any glass.
assateague

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 pm

assateague wrote:I think it was second only to the resin on my boat, as far as cost goes. Pretty sure I had about $35 in bondo. Hurt pretty bad.

And like I said, the adhesive is plenty to hold it til the glass sets up, so it's not like the bondo in mine is really doing anything besides taking up space. Very expensive space. But I will say I've never tried the mud before, but see no reason why it wouldn't work great. May soak up some resin, so I might coat that first with some resin and let it dry, before laying any glass.

I got 3/4 of the way through mine before the weather stopped cooperating. My last application of resin took about 2 weeks to dry...

When I was working on it, I put the bondo on then left for work. Came back to work on it the next day, and it was like concrete. I think that mud would work well. Especially with a coat of resin on top. Should be much easier to get nice angles to work the cloth on. My bondo seams looks like a 3 year old did them.

I'm hoping that the non-resined parts hold up to the winter so that I can finish it, and not have to start over.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby T Man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:33 pm

Several years ago my old roommate decided he was going to save some mixing time and put an entire tube of hardener into a gallon of bondo. If I remember right it either melted the label off or melted the gallon can
Eric Haynes wrote:
I just Betty'd the timeframe to make me seem older than 56.
T Man

Postby capt1972 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:37 pm

T Man wrote:Several years ago my old roommate decided he was going to save some mixing time and put an entire tube of hardener into a gallon of bondo. If I remember right it either melted the label off or melted the gallon can

Shit WILL catch on fire!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Never done that with bondo, but we've had some epoxy just about catch on fire at the shop.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:08 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Never done that with bondo, but we've had some epoxy just about catch on fire at the shop.

All the same, its an exothermic reaction.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:13 pm

capt1972 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Never done that with bondo, but we've had some epoxy just about catch on fire at the shop.

All the same, its an exothermic reaction.

Yup. Just never mix enough bondo to matter. A cup of epoxy starts smoking in about 3min though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I'm no bondo champion, but the stuff I worked with ended up as hard as cement. I'm not sure how you sand something that hasn't hardened...

Either way, in the seams of a hybrid can be really tight, and awkward to work in. Anything is going to be tough to get to at times.

When the Bondo is curing you can use a rasp to remove excess very easily and quickly. Plan on another coat to smooth out the roughness.
Trying to do stuff in one quick coat and then sanding...is the hard way.
Use several thin coats like a drywall guy. Takes longer in drying time. Drink beer while it's curing.
Orrrr you could just slop it on and use a belt wander. @ :)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum