Installing pods

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Installing pods

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm making some ply/fiberglass pods to put on my boat, and I'm suck on how to install them. I've heard somewhere they should be about 1/2" above the bottom of your hull when installed. But what I'm not sure about is the angle. If I put a straight edge along the bottom of my boat, should the back of the pods be the same height above the straight edge as it is at the front of the pods, or should there be a little bigger gap at the back?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Installing pods

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Guess I should have googled it first. :-)
This is pretty much the general consensus I found....
Mount them flush with the bottom of the hull, then tapering up anywhere from 1/2"-1" at the back of the pod. The less the taper, the less the bow will rise when getting on plane, but you will also loose the ability to get the bow up in rougher water. On the reverse side...a lager taper, the higher the bow will go when getting on plane, but you will still be able to get the bow up if necessary.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:01 pm

The ones I installed in my last boat are flush with the bottom and are straight. For better flotation a slower speeds.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:53 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Guess I should have googled it first. :-)
Mount them flush with the bottom of the hull, then tapering up anywhere from 1/2"-1" at the back of the pod. The less the taper, the less the bow will rise when getting on plane, but you will also loose the ability to get the bow up in rougher water. On the reverse side...a lager taper, the higher the bow will go when getting on plane, but you will still be able to get the bow up if necessary.

This ^^
I designed mine with a 3/4" rise at the back.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

This ^^

That's what i am thinking...Maybe 7/8.
I will get into some 2+ foot waves from time to time, and I want to be able to get the bow up good and high.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Olly wrote:The ones I installed in my last boat are flush with the bottom and are straight. For better flotation a slower speeds.

Sent from my phone.

I mostly need them for better floatation at trolling speeds. When I'm bowfishing...a 40hp, a generator, 4 batteries and fish in the back sink that poor little boat pretty low.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

This ^^

I will get into some 2+ foot waves from time to time, and I want to be able to get the bow up good and high.

Pfffftt. I'll take the 7' hybrid in that.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:15 pm

assateague wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

This ^^

Pfffftt. I'll take the 7' hybrid in that.

My limit is about 3' for my 16 footer. Tried to go out in 3+ last fall for perch with 3 guys and started taking on a considerable amount of water over the gunnels.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum