16ft Layout Jon Boat Project

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: 16ft Layout Jon Boat Project

Postby benelliquackstacker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:55 am

Olly wrote:
benelliquackstacker wrote:Olly, What will you be sitting/laying on while in the bottom of the boat? Those cross structural ribs do not appear to be very comfortable, an most likely it will be very cold sitting on a aluminum boat floor in icy water.

Actually the holes are places so the ribs are on either side of your butt so it's not so bad. However I was still thinking of getting some kind of cushion to pay down on. Also thinking of some kind of head rest too.

Sent from Tapatalk

This... Just seems like it would be a little chilly sitting on bare metal.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Thats right pilgrim were here to kill your women and rape your horses- Bootlipkiller (bootliplicker)
benelliquackstacker

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 am

I already have some rubber mats down but I was at kmart the other day and found some pool side style cushions the kind meant to get wet. Just going to wait for them to go on sale in a few more weeks.

Sent from Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Olly wrote:I already have some rubber mats down but I was at kmart the other day and found some pool side style cushions the kind meant to get wet. Just going to wait for them to go on sale in a few more weeks.

Sent from Tapatalk

Also check sporting goods section for those foam rubbery type pads for camping/hiking. I've talked to guys who use them while hunting out of layout blinds to insulate them from frozen ground.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:59 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:I already have some rubber mats down but I was at kmart the other day and found some pool side style cushions the kind meant to get wet. Just going to wait for them to go on sale in a few more weeks.

Sent from Tapatalk

Also check sporting goods section for those foam rubbery type pads for camping/hiking. I've talked to guys who use them while hunting out of layout blinds to insulate them from frozen ground.

That's what I use. The bottom of m hybrid is only about 5/16" thick between me and 30 degree water, and I've never gotten cold using that roll up mat. Got it in shadow grass for about $10 on clearance at Gander.
assateague

Postby broccoli » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:11 pm

I did basically this same thing (although not as thought out and nice as this) in my boat last year and all i had in the bottom on my boat was some old conveyer belt and i never got cold sitting in the bottom of the boat like that
broccoli

Postby Olly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:14 pm

broccoli wrote:I did basically this same thing (although not as thought out and nice as this) in my boat last year and all i had in the bottom on my boat was some old conveyer belt and i never got cold sitting in the bottom of the boat like that

How did she hunt? Post up some pictures if you can.

Sent from Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby broccoli » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 pm

How did she hunt? Post up some pictures if you can.

Sent from Tapatalk[/quote]

It was actually really comfortable and I could hunt more places due to the lower profile
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343349858.713903.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343349908.504812.jpg
this is it rolled up on one side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343349956.462778.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
broccoli

Postby broccoli » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:45 pm

In the last pick the boat is on dry land and we had already taken the cane out from in front
broccoli

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 pm

That looks good. :thumbsup:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Olly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:17 pm

I may have to get some of that rafia to mix in there for some darker tones.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:20 pm

broccoli wrote:In the last pick the boat is on dry land and we had already taken the cane out from in front

Have any pictures of the blind without the marsh grass on it?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby broccoli » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:33 pm

No I don't. What I did is take one side of a scissor blind and lengthen it a little and put on a longer wind blocker for good backing and then put a Camo net on it and attached the grass. But now I have got to modify it more because I sold that boat and got a bigger one. It was really easy to do
broccoli

Postby Olly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:37 pm

broccoli wrote:No I don't. What I did is take one side of a scissor blind and lengthen it a little and put on a longer wind blocker for good backing and then put a Camo net on it and attached the grass. But now I have got to modify it more because I sold that boat and got a bigger one. It was really easy to do

I thought about doing mine with fabric too but wasn't sure of how strong it would be. Plus after dealing with 3 previous scissor blinds I was tired of screwing around with fabric haha.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby broccoli » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 pm

O I know it can be a pain in the butt but I really liked how it worked and like somebody else said there is a learning curve to shooting out of it if the boat it rocking I always try to get the back of my boat shallow enough were it will sit on the bottom
broccoli

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:00 pm

assateague wrote:I think that turned out like a great plan. I've always been skeptical of those big square boxes poking out of the marsh as well. I don't care how much grass you put on it, they just don't look right.

I'm kinda partial to big boxes poking out
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Only if they have big grassy curtains hanging all down the sides.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:37 pm

assateague wrote:Only if they have big grassy curtains hanging all down the sides.

Now you and I disagree on something.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I was putting one in jehlers wheelhouse. I'm pretty sure you and I agree just fine. :lol:
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 pm

assateague wrote:I was putting one in jehlers wheelhouse. I'm pretty sure you and I agree just fine. :lol:

:lol:
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:21 pm

assateague wrote:I was putting one in jehlers wheelhouse. I'm pretty sure you and I agree just fine. :lol:

if I had read that with a few in me assa I'm sure I coulda hit it out of the park with that set up, instead I just came in from building a new transom on the boat to accommodate the new motor. All I got is ewwwww!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby centurion » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:56 pm

Your project looks great, I just started a one man boat on a 10' foot Jon boat and will post pics when done
Any recent pics? What type of "hinge" did you use for the PVC to articulate on the wood. Any good ideas where to get grass
Thanks
centurion

Postby Olly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:49 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1346183407984.jpg

I think she'll hide.

Sent using Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby centurion » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:30 pm

It's awesome.
Can you please describe the "hinge" system with the PVC attaching to the woods. Is it simply a hose clamp screwed onto the wood with enough space for the PVC to rotate freely inside the circle?
I am going to use raffia and weave it into chicken wire, does that sound like what you did?
Thanks
centurion

Postby Olly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm

centurion wrote:It's awesome.
Can you please describe the "hinge" system with the PVC attaching to the woods. Is it simply a hose clamp screwed onto the wood with enough space for the PVC to rotate freely inside the circle?
I am going to use raffia and weave it into chicken wire, does that sound like what you did?
Thanks

Yes you got it, just some hose clamp loose enough for the doors to swing.

And no I used large 4'x4' grass mats and stapled them to the wooden decks and ziptied to the doors when needed. The rafia idea sounds good though!

Start a build thread, I would like to see photos of your layout jon boat.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:11 am

uploadfromtaptalk1346418617252.jpg

Did some last minute surgery on the doors yesterday. I cut them down to allow more room for the hunters. Also added some bungee straps to keep the doors folded open when driving. I'm stoked!

Sent using Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:10 am

Well Olly what did you think of the new set up??
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 am

Enquiring minds want to know.
assateague

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:37 am

It seems to work well the Geese were coming in a lot closer than I had seen before and other birds were acting like I wasn't even there. Had a seagull swim around right up to the boat. I think the real test will be when duck season starts.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:43 am

How about comfort and the way it hunted? Seems cheaper and less complicated route to go than a scissor.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:29 am

As far as comfortably I give it a B- but only because I'm tall enough for my middle back to hit the rail I installed when not totally hidden. I added these pads to help out but I think I'm going to come up with some other kind of support.

uploadfromtaptalk1346603359879.jpg

And the boat hunts just like a layout blind when you tuck it in the tall grass and brush it out. The doors open easy and stay up when opened.

Sent using Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum