16ft Layout Jon Boat Project

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: 16ft Layout Jon Boat Project

Postby broccoli » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Get you one of those lay out beach chairs to put in the bottom of the boat I seriously considered this last year but my boat wasn't wide enough
broccoli

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:23 pm

In my hybrid I use a piece of 3/8 plywood, about 24" long and 18" wide, with an 18" piece of 2x2 screwed to the back, to "hook" onto the back of the cockpit which keeps it from sliding down. Get someone to help, cut the piece of plywood 18" long and leave it 4' long. Then get in the boat, and adjust the angle to where it's comfortable for you to recline on it, then mark where the rail of the boat hits it on the back. That's where the bottom of the cleat will go. Then lean your head back, and mark the top of your head- cut the plywood off there. It will be comfortable, and fit you perfectly. I have one of those camo foam camping mats that I lay over/down the board and into the bottom of the boat. Very comfortable.
assateague

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:36 am

uploadfromtaptalk1348846571734.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am

I would have to agree that that looks FAR better than a sore thumb pop-up blind. :thumbsup:
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 am

You happy with the way it hunts?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:20 am

Yes I want to figure out a different way with the doors though. I'm thinking fabric I dunno though. Maybe some strong magnets with no grass over it just a cammoed thick fabric of some kind. Over all though the birds that come in come in closer and it's relaxing to lay down.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 am

uploadfromtaptalk1349186643595.jpg

Here's another picture to showcase the boats low profile. I know it's hard to see but there is a 16ft jon boat in there with a long tail MM. Also another hunter and the mut.

Sent using Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Baysider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 am

That thing turned out pretty sweet.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Olly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks, it's a weird idea and takes some getting used to but it seems to be working out okay. The birds seem to be landing a little closer than before. I still want to come up with a better idea for the doors but it's okay for now.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Baysider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 am

What do you not like about the doors?
Baysider

Postby Olly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am

Baysider wrote:What do you not like about the doors?

They get in the way when driving the boat. Other than that nothing.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Baysider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Gotcha. Do you have them on hinges now? You could set them up with a removable pin and strap them to the bow during transport.
Baysider

Postby austin1949 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:24 pm

What horse power is the mud buddy?
austin1949

Postby Olly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:41 pm

27 Kohler

Sent using Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jareds124 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 pm

I used some of the ideas from your boat and designed my own laydown duck boat. Living in the NW a jet works a little better for my hunting environment. This is a 14' sled with two hunting holes, two dog holes, and battery/fuel tank in the bow. I also added interior lights and HID lights up front.
15.jpg
17.jpg
IMAG0279.jpg
IMAG0293.jpg
IMAG0314.jpg
jareds124

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Very nice man! Glad I could inspire. How did you like it?

Sent using Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby huntntech » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Looks good. :welcome:
huntntech

Postby obxbufflehead » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Is it weird laying sideways in the bottom of a boat shooting? Tried it once dove hunting and it didn't work.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby obxbufflehead » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:12 pm

obxbufflehead wrote:Is it weird laying sideways in the bottom of a boat shooting? Tried it once dove hunting and it didn't work.

And yes I dove hunt out of a boat over water.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby jareds124 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:12 am

It definitely took some getting used to at the beginning of the season. Just like a layout ground blind, it takes a fraction of a second longer to sit up and shoot. The advantage its that the birds are literally right on top of you so you can afford to take longer. its also nice laying on a comfortable seat while being protected from the wind and rain. i don't think its the right kind of setup if you do a lot of pass shooting. however, anyone who likes shooting birds that decoy on top of you needs to try using a layout boat. I think we can all agree that there is no better feeling than a few ducks locked up and 100% committed to landing in your spread.
jareds124

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum