16ft Layout Jon Boat Project

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:22 am

Looks good.

I haven't been following this since the beginning, but I have a suggestion.

Scrap the PVC. It's going to get brittle and break when it gets cold. I can see problems when the doors fly open and you come out. Or when somebody mis-steps or the dog falls on one.
Consider using 1/2 or 3/4" EMT, it'll be more durable and still fairly easy to work with, without adding much weight.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Re: 16ft Layout Jon Boat Project

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 am

duckkillerclyde wrote:Looks good. Is there a reason why you went so wide with the area you're going to be laying down in?

The back section needed to be wider for me to drive. Once I made it a good driving width there was only room left for one other section.

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Lookin good lookin good. cant wait to see it in person.
It would be cool to rig some lights up down inside there under the decking to light the interior so you can see while youre setting up.
Whats it gona be like in transport mode? front guy just lays down the whole time and you pop out drive from your layout hole?

In trasnport mode the doors all fold forward except for the back one, the passenger sits on the front deck facing the driver.

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Looks good.

I haven't been following this since the beginning, but I have a suggestion.

Scrap the PVC. It's going to get brittle and break when it gets cold. I can see problems when the doors fly open and you come out. Or when somebody mis-steps or the dog falls on one.
Consider using 1/2 or 3/4" EMT, it'll be more durable and still fairly easy to work with, without adding much weight.

I've thought about the PVC getting brittle but I'm willing to repair/ replace as needed to advoid having to work with EMT. Unless I wanted to weld the doors together, using common EMT joints won't work well for something that is going to move a lot. I have the deminsions of the doors written down and can make a new on in about 20 minutes, so it's a trade off I am willing to make.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:45 am

You've done a great job Coastie. I was alittle skeptical of your plans at first, but after seeing it grassed up, I think it looks great and I think it'll work. In fact I hunted that same way outta one of my scull boats last year and it worked great
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14 am

Redbeard wrote:You've done a great job Coastie. I was alittle skeptical of your plans at first, but after seeing it grassed up, I think it looks great and I think it'll work. In fact I hunted that same way outta one of my scull boats last year and it worked great

Thanks red, I got my inspiration from smaller sneak boats like mo marshes and stuff. I've seen how well they work and wanted the same system.

Sent from Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Baysider » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:21 am

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:In a pinch, I bet you could figure out how to hunt a third guy in that boat if they want it bad enough.

Looks good. Now you'll be the only flat spot in the cattails instead of the tall spot :P

Thinking the 3rd person could sit behind the boat and swap out with one of the hunters or something.

And about the flat spot, I'm going to take some 1.5" PVC and place them vertical in spots on the boat. Then I can cut some reeds and put them in the tubes. Make for a 3-D effect. Would also work for putting branches in for when I get next to trees.

Great looking set up man. One idea to hunt a 3rd and give you more room in the boat would be to loose the section in the middle and just have supports running across from gunnel to gunnel to mount the doors. That would give you room for a 3rd and more space on the floor for bags or decoys.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:26 am

The problem you run into there would be the doors hitting each other. I thought to hunt a 3rd person I could take a layout blind and put it on the front deck. I it'd work in a pinch.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Baysider » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:29 am

One larger door on each side to cover both?
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am

I give up. I was going to comment twice already on the 3rd guy thing and you guys keep popping up new comments which were what I was going to say, lol.

As for the PVC being brittle, the blind on my duck boat is at least 15 years old, probably closer to 20, and there has only been a couple breaks that are just duct taped back together. Still holds up the top.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 am

I'm not to worried about a third guy. I usually hunt alone and if I'm not I really only have 2 buddies I enjoy duck hunting with and they work opposite days. So it works out.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:37 am

ive got a stack of that rubber tread you have in the bottom here at the shop that would go unnoticed if it went missing..... ;)
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:ive got a stack of that rubber tread you have in the bottom here at the shop that would go unnoticed if it went missing..... ;)

Set some aside and when I'm home next I'll get it.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:53 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I use one like this:

I know it ain't a kaiser blade but can I call ya Sling Blade anyways?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Redbeard wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:I use one like this:

I know it ain't a kaiser blade but can I call ya Sling Blade anyways?

Mmmm Hmmmmm
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:20 pm

You leik dem french fried taters?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Goldfish wrote:You leik dem french fried taters?

I'd take a few more cans of dat potted meat, if ye have any.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Goldfish wrote:I give up. I was going to comment twice already on the 3rd guy thing and you guys keep popping up new comments which were what I was going to say, lol.

As for the PVC being brittle, the blind on my duck boat is at least 15 years old, probably closer to 20, and there has only been a couple breaks that are just duct taped back together. Still holds up the top.

What you could do to hunt a third, and maybe a fourth, is to position them in between your legs. You rest your back on the back rest and he rests his on your chest, clothes optional. why has no one come up with this idea yet?

...no homo...
Last edited by Eric Haynes on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Goldfish wrote:I give up. I was going to comment twice already on the 3rd guy thing and you guys keep popping up new comments which were what I was going to say, lol.

What you could do to hunt a third, and maybe a fourth, is to position them in between your legs. You rest your back on the back rest and he rests his on your chest, clothes optional. Shy has no one come up with this idea yet?

...no homo...

Might be able to fit a 5th and 6th in there if they get lube up first.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:23 pm

Olly wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

What you could do to hunt a third, and maybe a fourth, is to position them in between your legs. You rest your back on the back rest and he rests his on your chest, clothes optional. Shy has no one come up with this idea yet?

...no homo...

Might be able to fit a 5th and 6th in there if they get lube up first.

With enough lube, and proper body part placement, you could have the 3rd and fourth guy face you , that way they can shoot the ones that fly behind you.

Any spots left on the SS Toolbox?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Upon hearing your plans on how to fit 4 hunters, please put bigger sides on it
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

What you could do to hunt a third, and maybe a fourth, is to position them in between your legs. You rest your back on the back rest and he rests his on your chest, clothes optional. why has no one come up with this idea yet?

...no homo...

Ahhh, the old 'spoon method'. I think this was mentioned in the last of the market hunters.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:28 pm

the "passenger blind"... for lack of a better word could hunt two side by side as long as both hunters were comfortable with their sexuality. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:19 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:the "passenger blind"... for lack of a better word could hunt two side by side as long as both hunters were comfortable with their sexuality. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that one of those "you hold my gun, I'll hold your gun" blinds?

Is being comfortable with your sexuality the same as being comfortable with a penis in your mouth? :lol:
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Looking good brotha!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tiler_J » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Great looking boat, can't wait to see some pictures during duck season.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Same here. I want to see this thing brushed up. I think you're on to something.
assateague

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 pm

assateague wrote:Same here. I want to see this thing brushed up. I think you're on to something.

Early goose is a month and a half away and I love hunting them on the water so in about another month I'll have it brushed out.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby benelliquackstacker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Olly, What will you be sitting/laying on while in the bottom of the boat? Those cross structural ribs do not appear to be very comfortable, an most likely it will be very cold sitting on a aluminum boat floor in icy water.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Thats right pilgrim were here to kill your women and rape your horses- Bootlipkiller (bootliplicker)
benelliquackstacker

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 pm

I will say, it took me fully a season and a half to get anywhere close to decent when shooting from my hybrid. You may have a little learning curve as well- its not as much like shooting from a layout blind on the ground as you think. Granted your boat's much heavier than mine, but when two guys sit up to shoot, that thing IS going to move and rock a bit.

Just my two cents worth of "heads up".
assateague

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:39 am

benelliquackstacker wrote:Olly, What will you be sitting/laying on while in the bottom of the boat? Those cross structural ribs do not appear to be very comfortable, an most likely it will be very cold sitting on a aluminum boat floor in icy water.

Actually the holes are places so the ribs are on either side of your butt so it's not so bad. However I was still thinking of getting some kind of cushion to pay down on. Also thinking of some kind of head rest too.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:42 am

assateague wrote:I will say, it took me fully a season and a half to get anywhere close to decent when shooting from my hybrid. You may have a little learning curve as well- its not as much like shooting from a layout blind on the ground as you think. Granted your boat's much heavier than mine, but when two guys sit up to shoot, that thing IS going to move and rock a bit.

Just my two cents worth of "heads up".

Thanks Assa I hadn't really thought about that. What I was worried about was getting used to opening the doors then transitioning to a shooting position. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it quick.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum