My thread regarding Layout Boats and motors

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

My thread regarding Layout Boats and motors

Postby Tomkat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Eventually I will finish my current blind project, and I have dreamed up a new way to spend money.

I own a Carstens pintail. Its a nice boat for the money, but paddling is not fun. Besides I would like to be able to go upstream on a local river...

My research thus far leads me to Four Rivers layout boats. I will eventually sell my Pintail and get a Refuge Runner or perhaps an EBADS. I can be at their factory in like 1hr and 20 Mins. I lucked out there.

So that part is pretty easy.

The tougher part is the motor part. My gut feeling is I will cheap out and get the RR. That means my 50lb thrust MinnKota would probably do ok, but I think I would prefer the added torque a long tail will provide.

I don't see me spending the money to get a stump jumper, Dixie MM, etc....

Has anyone here ever built a long tail motor from an online kit? Ever used a Harbor Freight motor?
Tomkat

Re: My thread regarding Layout Boats and motors

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:23 pm

I'll be curious to know how this plays out. It's something I've wanted to do for years with my hybrid, since with a small longtail that thing would be unstoppable. But I just don't have the metalworking skills necessary to build one, I don't think. And Lord knows I'm not buying one.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:24 pm

I know quite a few people use the motor off maxtool.com with good success. The EBADS looks like a bad little rig.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Assateague-

I think I can get a 6.5 HP motor going down the river for $400. If I fall into some cash this spring, I may go all out and spend $600 and get the Honda motor, but I doubt it :thumbsup:

The cheap bastard in me sees that as the goal. Check out www.marsh-skipper.com and read up on it.

FS, thanks for the lead. I wish I had the extra jack for the EBADS, but I am going to go cheap with the Refuge Runner and I am sure it will suite my needs. If I had longer trips say in AR or LA etc I would get an EBADS and a real motor (speed!) but our runs here are rather short in the big picture.

Did I mention I was a cheap bastard?
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:32 pm

assateague wrote:I'll be curious to know how this plays out. It's something I've wanted to do for years with my hybrid, since with a small longtail that thing would be unstoppable. But I just don't have the metalworking skills necessary to build one, I don't think. And Lord knows I'm not buying one.

Anyone who can build a hybird can build a LT kit if they follow directions.

You can do it. Just wear your lucky Chiefs hat.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:36 pm

Check this one out. 7HP, free shipping, $169 http://www.maxtool.com/us/products/XP7HP.asp I think this was the place Flight was talking about.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:37 pm

400 will get you a 16hp on Mac tool
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 pm

I have no personal experience in the matter but this is it.
http://www.maxtool.com/us/products/XP7HPE.asp
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Our new sponsor Mayhem Mud Motors has some pretty good prices on long tail mud motors. Why fight it? Spend a little cash, get something that works right out of the box and also has some sort of guarantee.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:48 pm

$100 for a 6.5 hp from harbor freight. Supposed to be decent little motor and it has a lot of simple mods to get more out of the motor.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:11 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:$100 for a 6.5 hp from harbor freight. Supposed to be decent little motor and it has a lot of simple mods to get more out of the motor.
they sell predator motors, and people mod the shit out if them and they keep on trucking.
Being a welder now, you have no idea the amount of time I've spent pondering this idea. It always works out to a decent chunk of money, no matter how much labor and scrap from work I incorporate into it because you always end up buying a motor, the bearing setup, and the prop. If you can't do it yourself for half the cost, why not just find a used mud motor or cough up for a warranty for a new one? Ppf mud motors is the local one to me that build them fairly cheap. Cheap enough to make me question the worth of making my own at least

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 pm

I didn't look at the other suggestions to compare, but I was considering this one not too long ago...

http://mudmotorkit.com/index.php/mud-mo ... unner.html
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Goldfish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I didn't look at the other suggestions to compare, but I was considering this one not too long ago...

dude, you just completely threw off my argument about cost. Now I'm thinking about it again, dammit

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Goldfish wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I didn't look at the other suggestions to compare, but I was considering this one not too long ago...

dude, you just completely threw off my argument about cost. Now I'm thinking about it again, dammit

sent from a phancy fone

That's just the price of the kit. Still have to buy the engine, but I think it's probably the cheapest out there.

Found a local dealer on CL that sell the kits, and completed motors.

Cheap replacement parts too...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Goldfish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:23 pm

I know, but it's the cheapest kit I've seen

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Goldfish wrote:I know, but it's the cheapest kit I've seen

sent from a phancy fone

I want to throw one on my pintail...have to make a mount first though.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:42 am

RonE, the only other guy with a brain in this thread. Your ginna spend way more fabricating your first mud motor than you will buying one. Oh I know at the end you can add receipts for the materials that made it into the motor and claim its cheaper but we all know damned well that your actual costs of trail and error, tools, fuel, extra and it wrong materials is going to cost a ton. I'm all about people building their own shit, just don't play this charade of saving money
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:01 am

jehler wrote:RonE, the only other guy with a brain in this thread. Your ginna spend way more fabricating your first mud motor than you will buying one. Oh I know at the end you can add receipts for the materials that made it into the motor and claim its cheaper but we all know damned well that your actual costs of trail and error, tools, fuel, extra and it wrong materials is going to cost a ton. I'm all about people building their own shit, just don't play this charade of saving money

I know I don't have a brain, but even the scarecrow could do this. What part of this would you say will be the most difficult? Paying for the kit?

Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:19 am

Guess what their company name is??

K K K
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 am

UPDATE: I have done a lot of reading on this subject over the last few days. I can get a brand new Harbor Freight 6.5 Predator motor right now for $95, and for another $29 I can get a 2 year, no questions asked warranty on it. People say they have dropped them in the marsh and HF will replace them, no problem or hassel. My research indicates that the Predator is a Chinese clone of a Honda motor. The early generations had a few problems, but they seem to have that all worked out.

So, the question is, do I go buy one and let it set in the barn for a few months until I get my $$$ together to get another boat?

Picking the engine up for under $100 is tempting.
Tomkat

Postby AKPirate » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:45 am

Tomkat wrote:UPDATE: I have done a lot of reading on this subject over the last few days. I can get a brand new Harbor Freight 6.5 Predator motor right now for $95, and for another $29 I can get a 2 year, no questions asked warranty on it. People say they have dropped them in the marsh and HF will replace them, no problem or hassel. My research indicates that the Predator is a Chinese clone of a Honda motor. The early generations had a few problems, but they seem to have that all worked out.

So, the question is, do I go buy one and let it set in the barn for a few months until I get my $$$ together to get another boat?

Picking the engine up for under $100 is tempting.

Sounds straightforward TK except I would prolong the purchase so the warranty will last through the 2015/16 season as long as possible.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:12 am

Yeah I thought the same thing....
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:37 am

Put one of those engines on my gramps tiller, runs good, seems to be solid.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:39 am

jehler wrote:RonE, the only other guy with a brain in this thread. Your ginna spend way more fabricating your first mud motor than you will buying one. Oh I know at the end you can add receipts for the materials that made it into the motor and claim its cheaper but we all know damned well that your actual costs of trail and error, tools, fuel, extra and it wrong materials is going to cost a ton. I'm all about people building their own shit, just don't play this charade of saving money

My buddy built a 7hp for under $500. Fuck-ups and all. But his uncle owns a metal shop, and helped him with the welding. I'm going to make one this winter, so I'll let you know if your right or not.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:41 am

jarbo03 wrote:Put one of those engines on my gramps tiller, runs good, seems to be solid.

Jarbo do you think one of these on a four rivers boat would go upstream on that river near your house? How about the other river that feeds Clinton?
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:47 am

Hell yea. If the river is up and has a better flow, ducks won't be there anyways. Onky time it does that is after rain, ducks will be in search of new flooded grass at that time, not on the river.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby RickC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:17 am

TK I'd go for it, its a gamble whether the price will stay as low as it is now. Or like was said before wait awhile and have the warranty reach further for you. Either way should you decide not to build one later you could more than likely turn it on Craigslist or even in the forums.

Blessings,
Rick
RickC

Postby Olly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:42 am

I'd be interested in seeing this kit come together.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tomkat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:19 am

I have about decided to do it. I have a 3 step plan-

Step 1

Is to aquire the motor. I may just take a big gulp of air and not get the warranty; its going to be a while before I can afford to use all of it anyway. GOOD NEWS: I have an extra $100 and a coupon ready to go. So next week it will probably go down as planned. Easy enough, huh? Take it home, wrap it in plastic, store it in the barn. No big deal.

Step 2

Will take some horse trading, etc to come up with the extra cash to get the kit. You all will probably notice me selling off some items here on WFF. I am taking donations if anyone wants to see it sooner rather than later lol (Who needs a brand new Minn Kota 45 lb thrust trolling motor, never been used?) I have a couple of guns I had planned on selling anyway, and the show is Oct 19th. When I get the kit I will put it together, filming all along the way :thumbsup:

Step 3

Will be the toughest one, selling off my current layout boat and then prowling craigs list like a hungry shark to get a deal on a 4 rivers boat. The way I see it, I will be all ready to go about the time duck season is over :( But thats okay, it will give me a year to work out the kinks, train Brandy to ride in front, camo the boat, learn how to run it on that shallow river, etc.

Maybe Assateague the Tycoon spender will be feeling generous after the Chiefs win him an extra $3000 and chip a few in for TomKat the poor.....
Tomkat

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 am

Sounds like a solid plan. Good luck.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Next

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum