Pods

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Pods

Postby aunt betty » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:48 am

I have a 1636 or maybe it's a 1640.
The blind build eliminated the benches and all floatation. If I put a good sized man, myself, and dog it's overloaded because of the engine, battery, and fuel.
I want pods.
They are $259 @ Cabelas. Help save me some $$$.
Where can I get them for less?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Pods

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 am

Look up Boyd welding on Google. On my last boat I put a set of his in there and they were awesome.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby RonE » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 am

Go to the guy that does aluminum welding near you and see how much they would cost. Foam to fill them costs around $31 per quart and a quart or two should be plenty. Look as some other boats with pods to make sure you have the bottom contour correct. They should make your boat faster also.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby JGUN » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:49 am

RonE wrote:Go to the guy that does aluminum welding near you and see how much they would cost. Foam to fill them costs around $31 per quart and a quart or two should be plenty. Look as some other boats with pods to make sure you have the bottom contour correct. They should make your boat faster also.

I wouldn't use foam. It gets waterlogged. We put a 6" removable access cover on the pods we have and use them for storing extra plugs, rope, over limit birds, etc. The trapped air will provide the flotation you need.
I agree with checking a local welder for a price and he could custom fit them to your boat.
JGUN

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:54 am

JGUN wrote:
RonE wrote:Go to the guy that does aluminum welding near you and see how much they would cost. Foam to fill them costs around $31 per quart and a quart or two should be plenty. Look as some other boats with pods to make sure you have the bottom contour correct. They should make your boat faster also.

I wouldn't use foam. It gets waterlogged. We put a 6" removable access cover on the pods we have and use them for storing extra plugs, rope, over limit birds, etc. The trapped air will provide the flotation you need.
I agree with checking a local welder for a price and he could custom fit them to your boat.

I second not using foam in them. Foam only does anything if it's wet, which it shouldn't be inside the pod. Unless you need it for the coast guard I guess. Pods should be sealed (with a drain plug hole).
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Goldfish wrote:
JGUN wrote:

I second not using foam in them. Foam only does anything if it's wet, which it shouldn't be inside the pod. Unless you need it for the coast guard I guess. Pods should be sealed (with a drain plug hole).

Fuck the coast guard.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:06 pm

And I think the idea behind foam is to add strength so the top doesn't get dented from stepping on it.
Just use a little heavier ga on top and leave the foam out. That should accomplish the same thing.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Or add some expanded metal to the top
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Goldfish wrote:Or add some expanded metal to the top

That sounds like an excellent idea. ... if you want to tear your waders to shit.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:03 pm

So don't put it all the way to the edge? I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Goldfish

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Pods schmods, what I wanna know is did the seat removal weaken yer boat or not?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Goldfish wrote:So don't put it all the way to the edge? I'm just throwing ideas out there.

The only reason I say that is because I got mine solely for flotation but found out they make an excellent dog swim step (and for guys who aren't as agile as when they were 20). I put a knee on the pod, grab the motor and pull up.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Oh yes, they are excellent for getting back in the boat. I'm thinking a little expanded metal would help for traction, but I get not wanting to kneel on it
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Goldfish wrote:Oh yes, they are excellent for getting back in the boat. I'm thinking a little expanded metal would help for traction, but I get not wanting to kneel on it

I put the spray on bed liner stuff on top of the pods then painted to match the boat. It works fine for me.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum