My first duck boat

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: My first duck boat

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:49 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:Just got home from taking the motor out for a test ride. Ran great. Reverse is awesome to have. Gets out of the hole pretty quick but takes it a little longer than I like to get on plane. Had me (185lbs) my brother (195-200lbs) and the dog (60 lbs) in it the boat and we were cruising at 23. So not bad at all. Didnt run it by myself bc it's a pain to adjust the trim and the wind was picking up pretty good. When I tried to go by myself with it trimmed up for a load it was nose up almost immediately. I'm trying to get the video uploaded to YouTube.

23 is plenty fast for running in the dark.

Is that with the 15hp? Can only get 22mph with a 15 on my dads 1442. That is a heavy hull though and he is in need of a new prop.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:49 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:And hey fuck both of you o2m and nuff. This is an ongoing thread about my boat build. Stop fucking it up. Jesus h. Olly can you please delete that garbage from my thread?

I'm sorry. Got distracted. Good to see you got the transom fixed. Did you have anything added or just reweld the crack?

Just a re weld. He did a nice big bead across it and said to bring it back if it pops again and he will fix it free of charge. Also had him add some 1/4" angle where the motor mounts to the transom. Bolted it through it beef to whole thing up and I'm running a transom saver now.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:51 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:Just got home from taking the motor out for a test ride. Ran great. Reverse is awesome to have. Gets out of the hole pretty quick but takes it a little longer than I like to get on plane. Had me (185lbs) my brother (195-200lbs) and the dog (60 lbs) in it the boat and we were cruising at 23. So not bad at all. Didnt run it by myself bc it's a pain to adjust the trim and the wind was picking up pretty good. When I tried to go by myself with it trimmed up for a load it was nose up almost immediately. I'm trying to get the video uploaded to YouTube.

23 is plenty fast for running in the dark.

Is that with the 15hp? Can only get 22mph with a 15 on my dads 1442. That is a heavy hull though and he is in need of a new prop.

Yeah 2000 year model 4 stroke 15. Runs quite nicely. Handles good too no squirrelly steering.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:56 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:And hey fuck both of you o2m and nuff. This is an ongoing thread about my boat build. Stop fucking it up. Jesus h. Olly can you please delete that garbage from my thread?

I'm sorry. Got distracted. Good to see you got the transom fixed. Did you have anything added or just reweld the crack?

Just a re weld. He did a nice big bead across it and said to bring it back if it pops again and he will fix it free of charge. Also had him add some 1/4" angle where the motor mounts to the transom. Bolted it through it beef to whole thing up and I'm running a transom saver now.

That transom saver will make a huge difference. Crack quit growing on mine when I started using one.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 pm

What's bugging me now is how much the boat flexes in chop now that I'm running a lot faster than I was before. It's because the middle seat/live well was removed. Which i like the space it gives but not a fan of the give it gives. Need to find a way to brace that.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:18 pm

You talking about the sides or the actual bottom?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:32 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:You talking about the sides or the actual bottom?

The whole damn boat. Lol. It flexes like crazy, not to the point where it's alarming but definitely noticeable.
Man I love that tiller though, I think I even like it better than Ollys 35 horse mud buddy. :lol:
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Tiler_J » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:35 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

The whole damn boat. Lol. It flexes like crazy, not to the point where it's alarming but definitely noticeable.
Man I love that tiller though, I think I even like it better than Ollys 35 horse mud buddy. :lol:

You talking about me?
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

You talking about me?

Tiller, tiller steer motor. R-tard. :lol:
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:44 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

That's weird. The sides on my boat flex a little in chop. I though about adding a little extra framing, but decided to forget about it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Thinking about maybe adding some longitudinal bracing between those two braces where's its flexing the most, or just not worrying about it bc I only paid 600 bucks for the hull and trailer. Although spending a little extra and gettin this boat right and keeping it for several years seems to be the wise option. I'm gonna be using this boat a lot when it warms up.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Here's the video. Idk if this will embed or not.
http://youtu.be/FnO4XzcHd2s
FlintRiverFowler

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:16 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:What's bugging me now is how much the boat flexes in chop now that I'm running a lot faster than I was before. It's because the middle seat/live well was removed. Which i like the space it gives but not a fan of the give it gives. Need to find a way to brace that.

Put a couple triangles in.
assateague

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Are you going to hunt that boat this year, or wait until next?
assateague

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:22 pm

assateague wrote:Are you going to hunt that boat this year, or wait until next?

I've already hunted it three or four times, likely taking it this weekend on Ollys birthday trip to haul gear and decoys to the spot since we will have 5 hunters.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:25 pm

assateague wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:What's bugging me now is how much the boat flexes in chop now that I'm running a lot faster than I was before. It's because the middle seat/live well was removed. Which i like the space it gives but not a fan of the give it gives. Need to find a way to brace that.

Put a couple triangles in.

Fuck you. :-)
That might help with side flex, but wouldn't help with the bottom.
Stringers will help with the bottom flex but would be in your way.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:36 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I've already hunted it three or four times, likely taking it this weekend on Ollys birthday trip to haul gear and decoys to the spot since we will have 5 hunters.

That's awesome. I love my hybrid, but am thinking about getting a bigger boat as well.
assateague

Postby one2many » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 pm

to be honest here. chamfer is the more correct term over fillet.
but its still a gusset :thumbsup:
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 am

Ha, you think your boat has flex. My 40 year old aluminum fishing boat that had the center seat removed about 20 years ago flexes so much I envision the whole twisting apart in half while I'm at full throttle. Rickety old boat... It floats though, and doesn't leak enough to worry for a day on the water
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 am

assateague wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

That's awesome. I love my hybrid, but am thinking about getting a bigger boat as well.

You just have to continually cruise Craigslist til you find a cheap deal and jump on it. I drove 7 hours round trip to get this one. But for 600 bucks I had to. And don't skimp out on size that 1436 I was using seemed big enough on land but it shrunk when it got wet.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 am

What Flint said. I recommend atleast a 1548, I'm running a 1654 and at times wish I had more room.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:59 am

Get as big as you can. If its a flat bottom or mod v size doesn't really matter for draft. You will always find a time when you want something bigger.
Mine is a 1648, and there were many times I wished I had a 1860. And I only hunt with one or 2 other guys.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 pm

rebelp74 wrote:What Flint said. I recommend atleast a 1548, I'm running a 1654 and at times wish I had more room.
Not everyone has size 16 waders.
I get by with a 1640. Not sure but it might be a 1636.
Hunted three out of it once under ideal conditions. When it's blowing, me and the dog is enough.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 pm

aunt betty wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:What Flint said. I recommend atleast a 1548, I'm running a 1654 and at times wish I had more room.
Hunted three out of it once under ideal conditions. When it's blowing, me and the dog is enough.

Does the nose of yours pick way up with the 15 horse when trimmed all the way down? I didn't get a chance to mess with mine yesterday with just me in it trimmed down. I figured out three holes back from the transom was ideal with a load but when my brother got out to get the truck I tried to run it and even at 1/4 throttle it was standing up on me.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:39 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

Does the nose of yours pick way up with the 15 horse when trimmed all the way down? I didn't get a chance to mess with mine yesterday with just me in it trimmed down. I figured out three holes back from the transom was ideal with a load but when my brother got out to get the truck I tried to run it and even at 1/4 throttle it was standing up on me.

Need weight up front. Every flat bottom I've ever drove the bow stood up at anything but an idle or on plane. In my current one I put the 2 starter batteries up front. That's all it took to keep the front down.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Slowly ease into it and it'll plane out. May take 100yds
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 am

rebelp74 wrote:Slowly ease into it and it'll plane out. May take 100yds

This worked, i put a 1 inch spacer under the motor mount and trimmed the engine down to the bottom hole, it was scary fast with just me, gear and dog in it yesterday morning. I'm pretty sure I could've trimmed it up one more notch and been ok. Gona have to get a jack plate though, it's a 20 inch shaft and my transom is probly 16 or 17 inches. It plows water out the sides in the fully down position.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Here's my setup. Image
15 hp evinrude. Hole #2. Works real good
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm

aunt betty

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:45 pm

This morning with all the gear piled up front, my buddy and his dog got out to back the truck down the ramp and I took off with the motor in the 3rd hole back from the transom. It planed out nicely and hauled ass.
Betty is yours a mod v or flat bottom?
FlintRiverFowler

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum