My first duck boat

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: My first duck boat

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 pm

jehler wrote:Nope

It would keep the side from flexing. It wouldn't be as strong as flat stock, but it would accomplish the same thing.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:I don't have a brake to bend the gussets
you shouldn't have to bend anything.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:18 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

Ones I'm talking about are bent to a square and fit around the brace. They have three sides.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:20 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Ones I'm talking about are bent to a square and fit around the brace. They have three sides.

You lost me then
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 am

Flightstopper wrote:I'd run one solid brace in the middle instead of the seat. Then lay down a .100" aluminum floor and you'd be golden.

Like a shower?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:31 am

assateague wrote:I've always thought "gusset" sounded like some sort of clothing from the 1800s.

I would imagine you to have a pair of "gusset".
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 am

3legged_lab wrote:
assateague wrote:I've always thought "gusset" sounded like some sort of clothing from the 1800s.

I would imagine you to have a pair of "gusset".

Made out of whalebone
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 am

assateague wrote:
jehler wrote:
love to throw around the word gussets on jobsites with new guys, that mullions and purlins always confuses them

I had a gusset slice my knee open like a scalpel once. We were swinging trusses on a big ass side by side duplex, and I was middle man. The crane guy was in a hurry, apparently, and had that bitch sky high to clear the ones we stood already, and was swinging fast into the wind. Right as it cleared the last truss we set, the one I was standing on, it sandwiched, and came off the hook , with the tails screaming down. I tried to make my whole body 1 1/2" wide, and hide under a chord of the truss. Not like there was anywhere else I could go. That sonofabitch went whistling by so close that I thought I had bought it. But the only thing that happened was a gusset sliced my right knee open, not even very deep, on it's way down. Smashed through the first floor deck, and the tails ended up about 5 feet into the basement. I wanted to go cuss the crane guy up one side and down the other, but I was shaking too bad to even get off the truss I was standing on, much less go fight somebody. Probably would have peed on myself a little, had my pecker not been running for my stomach when that fucker broke apart right over my head.
i hate trusses, and cranes
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby triplecurl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 pm

I like cranes. Provided the guys know what they're doing, setting trusses isn't bad either.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391624878.482091.jpg

Overbooked today so I am running this rig. Sure is nice to get out of the office for a change.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
triplecurl

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 pm

Come on this is a fucking boat build thread.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby assateague » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Triplecurl is building an ark. 40 cubits by 60 cubits.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:58 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:I'd run one solid brace in the middle instead of the seat. Then lay down a .100" aluminum floor and you'd be golden.

Like a shower?

Minus the warmth.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:16 pm

Should've been working on this during the winter. Spring has hit, I'm off and can't take the boat out, putting new bearings on, and re carpeting my bunks. Also been working on stripping the paint off the hull getting ready for a new paint job. Im a little lost on what im gonna do with this one. I dont want to dump a bunch of money into this one since Im thinking about selling it off and using that for a down payment on a better rig.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395512144.704438.jpg
FlintRiverFowler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:04 pm

New rattle can paint job
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396835860.918439.jpg

New power plant
2002 Honda bf15a 4 stroke with very low hours. The oil in it is clear still.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396835915.151438.jpg

Working on some foam solid floors for barefootin it in the summer time. Was thinking hydro turf but ill probly just go cheap with some outdoor carpet and then remove them for duck season. There's gonna be a rectangle in the floor where the cooler is so if its being used as a seat it will get the person down enough that I can see over their head.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396835992.848679.jpg

Flipped the trailer axle so it rides correctly and new wheel bearings also.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396836102.190675.jpg

Oh and I got me some of these sweet LED shark eyes nav lights. Probly gona wait til Olly comes to town to install them bc he's much better with wiring than I am.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396836194.998466.jpg

The old $600 junker is coming together nicely.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 pm

I hope to God you've finally found a motor to be happy with.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Olly wrote:I hope to God you've finally found a motor to be happy with.

This one is much better than the shit I was dealing with before. It purrs, & starts on the first pull. Its so quiet even at full throttle. From what I've read its very fuel efficient and has a ton of power (for a 15) Can't wait to take this one out for a test run, as it has zero problems. Probly not gonna haul ass up the south river with it and risk fucking it up on a submersed log.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:11 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:N
Oh and I got me some of these sweet LED shark eyes nav lights. Probly gona wait til Olly comes to town to install them bc he's much better with wiring than I am.

Red goes to the + on the battery and black goes to the - on the battery.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Looks like it's coming along good too. Always cool when a project finally comes together.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:14 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

Yeah but he heat shrinks stuff and makes it look purdy. I'm (olly) is gona be puttin in a switch panel too. he just dont know it yet.:lol: Also the engine has a generator that I want to wire to the electrical system of the boat. Ill ruin it. Electricity is not my thing.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Yeah but he heat shrinks stuff and makes it look purdy. I'm (olly) is gona be puttin in a switch panel too. he just dont know it yet.:lol: Also the engine has a generator that I want to wire to the electrical system of the boat. Ill ruin it. Electricity is not my thing.

Haha. Sounds like you got it all figured out. I took a liking to wiring stuff up and did a lot of reading and working with my dad.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:19 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I'll be home first weekend of may. You need to get Fuse panel too. They sell marine switch panels with face blocks built in.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby RonE » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Someone suggested you put an aluminum floor in the boat. that is a good idea. Take the boat to welder and have four or five 1x2" box tubing pieces welded to the ribs the length of the boat. From the center of the boat working for and aft, port and starboard, pop rivet the aluminum floor to the stringers. Leave the foam. It will provide flotation and make it ride quieter.

Use a couple of 3/4 PVC pipes as wire chases to get wires for lights and such for and aft under the floor or along the sides of the boat it that is easier. Your seat is probably already filled with foam but if you are putting foam in the floor you might remove the foam from the seats and perhaps reinforce them somewhat and put hatches on the seats for storage boxes. Between the transom and the sides of the boat near the gunnels, place a couple of triangular gussets that are at least 3-4 inches tall on the edge of the gusset that is not welded to the transom or the sides. These will make a face for your switch panels and perhaps a 12 volt outlet for a spotlight. If you don't have an stern/anchor light on the top of your engine you can also use one of the gussets for a removable mast mounted stern light. Looks like your project is coming along well.

Next you will want a bigger boat.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:57 am

RonE wrote:Someone suggested you put an aluminum floor in the boat. that is a good idea. Take the boat to welder and have four or five 1x2" box tubing pieces welded to the ribs the length of the boat. From the center of the boat working for and aft, port and starboard, pop rivet the aluminum floor to the stringers. Leave the foam. It will provide flotation and make it ride quieter.

Use a couple of 3/4 PVC pipes as wire chases to get wires for lights and such for and aft under the floor or along the sides of the boat it that is easier. Your seat is probably already filled with foam but if you are putting foam in the floor you might remove the foam from the seats and perhaps reinforce them somewhat and put hatches on the seats for storage boxes. Between the transom and the sides of the boat near the gunnels, place a couple of triangular gussets that are at least 3-4 inches tall on the edge of the gusset that is not welded to the transom or the sides. These will make a face for your switch panels and perhaps a 12 volt outlet for a spotlight. If you don't have an stern/anchor light on the top of your engine you can also use one of the gussets for a removable mast mounted stern light. Looks like your project is coming along well.

Next you will want a bigger boat.

You just named most of the ideas that I've cut out from this project. Except for gutting the foam out of the seats and putting hatches in. im still gonna do that. i want the battery tucked away and a place to store PFDs. All the stuff you listed would make this boat a lot nicer but I can't justify spending that much on the boat when it only cost $600 with the trailer it's sitting on. I'm probably gonna run this one for a few years til I can upgrade to a real duck boat. I was very close to going out and financing something fast, shallow running, and fancy a few weeks ago. But id like to have more cash up front for it before I do. Possibly wait til a bigger salary comes along too.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Tomkat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:05 am

I have heard of people putting alluminium blinds on duck boats.
Tomkat

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:46 am

Tomkat wrote:I have heard of people putting alluminium blinds on duck boats.

I rarely have a need to hunt from the boat.
FlintRiverFowler

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum