PVC = Big Boy Tinker Toys

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

PVC = Big Boy Tinker Toys

Postby banknote » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:27 pm

I just bought a 13' Gregor, already painted camo. While the motors, a 25 and 6 horse, are getting a once-over from someone better at that than me, I'm working on a blind for it. I never knew PVC could be so much damn fun.

Dog hole, awning and ramp fold up flat and can easily interchange sides or be removed. Camo netting will fully cover boat and roll/cinch up to middle support where it will be bungeed or unclipped for highway travel. The tension of the ropes keeps everything super tight and I don't think I'll need to glue the main structure, just the dog ramp, which will make summer storage nice, plus allow for further modular modifications. It's a total mind suck right now.

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
banknote

Re: PVC = Big Boy Tinker Toys

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Making a sail boat?

Sorry, I had to. :D Looks good man!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby banknote » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:11 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Making a sail boat?

Sorry, I had to. :D Looks good man!

Never know but those motors might not work out!
banknote

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:20 pm

My blind is made out of pvc. Use it down to freezing temps. As long as you don't take it too hard, it's not to brittle. Mine I take all the way down and put it back up each time I go out. I have shooting hatches on the left side that you flip open to shoot. I don't know how much I would trust the dog stand made out of it tho

I have since shortened it a little so it's not so tall
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby banknote » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Goldfish wrote:My bind is made out of pvc. Use it down to freezing temps. As long as you don't take it too hard, it's not to brittle. Mine I take all the way down and put it back up each time I go out. I have shooting hatches on the left side that you flip open to shoot. I don't know how much I would trust the dog stand made out of it tho

Yeah I'm not sure about the stand, but the rope runs through the inside and takes most of the weight (I think) so I'm hopeful. I think I'll weave rope onto the ramp frame to fill it in, which won't hurt, either.

I also have ideas for a flip open side that could be worked in later. For now I like the versatility of being able to shoot any direction out of the top.
banknote

Postby banknote » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:50 pm

That looks cool Goldfish. Does it move much? When mines not sinched down it wants to wiggle a lot.
banknote

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:36 pm

It is pretty solid, but you aren't going to lean on it too much. It is kinda bent into place so there is tension to keep it from bouncing/swaying. I've ran across the lake with the frame up. Yours looks like thicker piping than mine tho
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:27 am

Thar she is, lookin' like a bush. Too bad no ducks came by to not see me in it.

happy_hucker_maiden_hunt_640.jpg
banknote

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:45 am

About ten big honkers did come in, except I was out of the boat letting Ki run and on the phone with a friend who's dog is sick. So I'm offering my consolations, gun leaning against a tree 30' away, and they land in the dekes.
banknote

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am

banknote wrote:About ten big honkers did come in, except I was out of the boat letting Ki run and on the phone with a friend who's dog is sick. So I'm offering my consolations, gun leaning against a tree 30' away, and they land in the dekes.

Sounds about like my luck.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 am

Nice camo job
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Looks great!
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby banknote » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks. I haven't killed anything out of it, yet, or even fired a shot. No birds flying at all the two days I've hunted in it. Tides are favorable later this week for more of that, but for the next few days it'll just be getting me into spots. I've used the camo for a ground blind, though, and it worked pretty damn well.
banknote

Postby AKPirate » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:17 pm

banknote wrote:Thanks. I haven't killed anything out of it, yet, or even fired a shot. No birds flying at all the two days I've hunted in it. Tides are favorable later this week for more of that, but for the next few days it'll just be getting me into spots. I've used the camo for a ground blind, though, and it worked pretty damn well.

I just remembered we were telling everyone at Reds that we met you and told them about your avatar story in Alaska :lol:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:22 pm

AKPirate wrote:
banknote wrote:Thanks. I haven't killed anything out of it, yet, or even fired a shot. No birds flying at all the two days I've hunted in it. Tides are favorable later this week for more of that, but for the next few days it'll just be getting me into spots. I've used the camo for a ground blind, though, and it worked pretty damn well.

I just remembered we were telling everyone at Reds that we met you and told them about your avatar story in Alaska :lol:

It still makes me chuckle every time I see it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19 am

3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Yep, that's me. Deep in the tundra and deeper in the whisky, etc., getting tuned up for some after-supper king fishing. This was me an hour or so later. I was schnockered.
DSC_0179_crp_640.jpg
banknote

Postby AKPirate » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:36 am

banknote wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Yep, that's me. Deep in the tundra and deeper in the whisky, etc., getting tuned up for some after-supper king fishing. This was me an hour or so later. I was schnockered.
DSC_0179_crp_640.jpg

Next year come to the WCH :thumbsup:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:56 am

AKPirate wrote:
banknote wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

DSC_0179_crp_640.jpg

Or may be the WCH should come here.

Wait, never mind.
banknote

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:01 am

banknote wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
banknote wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:[quote="banknote"]Thanks. I haven't killed anything out of it, yet, or even fired a shot. No birds flying at all the two days I've hunted in it. Tides are favorable later this week for more of that, but for the next few days it'll just be getting me into spots. I've used the camo for a ground blind, though, and it worked pretty damn well.

DSC_0179_crp_640.jpg

Wait, never mind.[/quote]
Come on. We were nice.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:06 am

Next year come to the WCH :thumbsup:[/quote]

Wait, never mind.[/quote]
Come on. We were nice.[/quote]

Bank has the bachelor pad on the Columbia, pretty fucking nice.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:59 am

banknote wrote:Thar she is, lookin' like a bush. Too bad no ducks came by to not see me in it.

happy_hucker_maiden_hunt_640.jpg

That blind looks Awesome!!! Good job!
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:30 pm

First blood in the blind on the last day of the season. Maybe I'll shoot some geese out of it next month.
photo 1_480.jpg
banknote

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Nicely done bank
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Looks like you shot Assa's duck. Was it skinny after the long flight from Maryland?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:59 pm

RonE wrote:Looks like you shot Assa's duck. Was it skinny after the long flight from Maryland?

He was lean but also mean, with three hens on his tail. Total stud.
banknote

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Funny story on this bird. He dropped in from behind me with his three hens and passed right over the decoys, then swung away and landed about 150 yards away. For the next two hours they fed and preened, I soft called and hailed and made all sorts of weird noises with a wood duck call, and they'd get closer but then stat drifting away again, feeding. Then I saw a woman in a kayak coming up the slough I was setup on. She was about 100 or so yards away. The birds were back in a hole off the slough. They saw her, too, and when I looked up they were flying right at me, so I dropped the drake when they passed at 20 yards and dusted him on the water. I heard some sort of yell from the woman like "Oh!..." but then by the time the dog gets the bird and I look back down her way, she's gone. I wonder how she tells the story or if she even saw the ducks.
banknote

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:11 am

Ha, love it when that happens. I had the Austin canoe races rolling down the river Saturday. For the first hour and a half we had people rolling right through the spread. Lost count how many time people would round the bend and say "wow look at all those ducks!".
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby banknote » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 am

Obviously I'm bored.
Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.53.49 PM.png
banknote

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:32 am

Probably oughta move the decoys out into their flight path. Then ask the kayaker if she'd like to test out her spray skirt, maybe check out your paddle.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 am

3legged_lab wrote:Probably oughta move the decoys out into their flight path. Then ask the kayaker if she'd like to test out her spray skirt, maybe check out your paddle.

Kayaker chicks would love your dog. He would get you so much crazy kayak tang.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum