Bankes Pumpkinseed Layout

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Bankes Pumpkinseed Layout

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:38 am

I've seen some mention of layout boats in this forum, and me and a partner did some "sperimentin" last weekend with one. Cool little single man layout, low profile, and roomy enough for a big guy. Set up at the head of Mobile Bay near the causeway where we had jumped some birds. The 15 mph North wind was about as much as you'd want to be in, and can't imagine putting it in anything rougher (a slight spray coming over from waves), but the low profile looked really good compared to the normal boat blinds the birds are so getting used to flaring from. Only killed a few birds, but got a good feel for how this works, and will use it again soon in a smaller body of water. Here's a pic of my biddy sitting it.

And another pic of the layout without anybody in it

I jumped in a nearby blind and threw out a few dekes, at the ready in case he had any issues........and he did. The boat anchor wasn't holding too well and he decided to get out and re-adjust. What he didn't plan on was the water had risen quite a bit since we set up, and when he jumped out, the water was only a few inces below the top of his chest waders :shock: When he was attempting to climb back in, his waders ripped just below the crotch. When I noticed him flailing his arms in the air, ran out to help. Not only were his waders full, the cold water made it difficult for him to even climb in my small boat. I had to grab one of his legs, lean to the same side, and roll him into the boat. Needless to say, the hunt was over from that point on, but am looking forward to putting it in a different setting and doing some more experimenting with it. Cool little boat, but I damn sure wouldn't want to be out on big water in a strong wind.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Bankes Pumpkinseed Layout

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:51 am

Where's my invite? Looks like fun.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:27 pm

That Bankes is a great sled.

If you have any questions on rigging or set ups, feel free to ask.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Definitely a quality boat, and I was amazed at the stability of that little sucker. The concave bottom makes it more stable on the water, but also means no towing it :( . We took two boats that day, with my buddy laying it on it's side in his 15' fishing boat on the trip out, but I was able to put it on top of my 13' duck boat coming in, but couldn't do that if it was white-capping. Appreciate the offer Dan, and I'm sure I'll have some questions going forward, this layout stuff is new to me. Olly, you are surely more flexible than me or my buddy (we're both 56 yr old farts), and would probably be much less cumbersome for you to pop up and shoot than it is for us. We've hunted ducks together for 38 years now, and can't help but laugh at each other's clumsiness almost every time we go :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum