Long tail or surface drive?

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Long tail or surface drive?

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:48 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:after the fact. You realize you stuck your neck out too far. :lol:

You can't tell me that the first thing that goes through your mind when you see some punk in a suped up foreign piece of shot car or a wanna be county boy in a jacked up truck isn't "I bet he has a tiny dick"
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:50 pm

Same goes for the guys that bring in their million dollar boats for us to fix at the shop. You know that 30' boat is compensating for a 3" cock.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:50 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:after the fact. You realize you stuck your neck out too far. :lol:

You can't tell me that the first thing that goes through your mind when you see some punk in a suped up foreign piece of shot car or a wanna be county boy in a jacked up truck isn't "I bet he has a tiny dick"

No that's not what I think. I either think this kid is a fucking prick or daddy has a ton of money.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:52 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

No that's not what I think. I either think this kid is a fucking prick or daddy has a ton of money.

Liar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Liar

Nope
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:05 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote::? fag

You can't do that. I called no homo.

That's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:12 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:How small you think this guys dick is?

Doesn't even sound that impressive. Have you seen the predator motor? Its a long tail with a Harley V-twin. Or the mud buddy frame with a rotax engine.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:How small you think this guys dick is?

Doesn't even sound that impressive. Have you seen the predator motor? Its a long tail with a Harley V-twin. Or the mud buddy frame with a rotax engine.

No. Gonna go look it up though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 am

70 HP and 30+ mph is impressive but not necessary for duck hunting. I've owned high horsepower fast boats in the past and they are fun but of no practical purpose if you aren't racing for money or smuggling drugs.

Mud boats with surface drive motors are a great tool for duck hunting and fishing in certain areas. Where I live and hunt, surface drive boats don't do as well because of sand, not mud. Oyster shell is like driving any outboard over a gravel road, just don't work well.

In most situations, my boat works very well, especially with the pop up blind. Running the river and going over and through hydrilla (sp) is easy with a surface drive and will allow you to go places that outboards and air boats cannot go.

I am going to go to an airboat so that I can run in 2-3 inches of water over sand or shell. Keep in mind that you cannot stop an airboat in 2 inches of water over hard sand or you will be there until someone pulls you our or the tide comes up, but you can run over it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby RonE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 am

70 HP and 30+ mph is impressive but not necessary for duck hunting. I've owned high horsepower fast boats in the past and they are fun but of no practical purpose if you aren't racing for money or smuggling drugs.

Mud boats with surface drive motors are a great tool for duck hunting and fishing in certain areas. Where I live and hunt, surface drive boats don't do as well because of sand, not mud. Oyster shell is like driving any outboard over a gravel road, just don't work well.

In most situations, my boat works very well, especially with the pop up blind. Running the river and going over and through hydrilla (sp) is easy with a surface drive and will allow you to go places that outboards and air boats cannot go.

I am going to go to an airboat so that I can run in 2-3 inches of water over sand or shell. Keep in mind that you cannot stop an airboat in 2 inches of water over hard sand or you will be there until someone pulls you our or the tide comes up, but you can run over it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 am

Where can a mud boat go that an airboat can't?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Where can a mud boat go that an airboat can't?

In a garage...:lol: that big ass fan would hit the top of the door.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby RonE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 am

On the river, under bridges and under tree limbs.......On the bays, under bridges.
RonE

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:35 am

RonE wrote:

On the river, under bridges and under tree limbs.......On the bays, under bridges.

Gotcha. Don't have to worry about that where I hunt.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firewokey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 pm

oops.sorry got tied up on other post and just remembered this one.Shallow water mud , muck , silt and cat tails in my area.
firewokey

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:09 pm

firewokey wrote:oops.sorry got tied up on other post and just remembered this one.Shallow water mud , muck , silt and cat tails in my area.

It'll boil down to your budget. Both will do the job just fine, so go with what you wallet vs. wants dictates.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:24 pm

How long of runs do you make? How much does speed matter to you? What kind of load do you usually take out with you?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:59 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:How long of runs do you make? How much does speed matter to you? What kind of load do you usually take out with you?

And how much moolah do you want to spend?

The answer to those questions will tell you what to buy.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby RonE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:How long of runs do you make? How much does speed matter to you? What kind of load do you usually take out with you?

Usually I make a 10 to 40minute trip and take up to three other hunters 6-7 doz decoys, a dog, guns and ammo and whatever else. The average is myself and two others and probably a 20-30 minute trip.

Consider that a 5 mile trip at 20 mph is 15 minutes and the same trip at 40 mph is about 8 minutes so speed doesn't mean that much. It takes longer to throw out decoys than it does to get to the site usually. So for long runs, it is usually just a matter of leaving 15 minutes (or so) early.
RonE

Long tail or surface drive?

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm

I agree with you 100% Ron. But some people just like speed. Speed only really matters when you start making trips over 5 miles. At 15mph it takes 20 min to go 5 miles. At 30mph it takes 10 min. Get up 10 min earlier and save yourself a few grand.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:04 am

NuffDaddy wrote:I agree with you 100% Ron. But some people just like speed. Speed only really matters when you start making trips over 5 miles. At 15mph it takes 20 min to go 5 miles. At 30mph it takes 10 min. Get up 10 min earlier and save yourself a few grand.

Having a bigger motor isn't just about speed it's more about pushing a bigger load safer. People that say "get up earlier" are just jealous. I'd never take a slow long tail on a loaded out boat into the delta here, sometimes having the ass to get over waves and off the bay faster means safety.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I agree with you 100% Ron. But some people just like speed. Speed only really matters when you start making trips over 5 miles. At 15mph it takes 20 min to go 5 miles. At 30mph it takes 10 min. Get up 10 min earlier and save yourself a few grand.

Having a bigger motor isn't just about speed it's more about pushing a bigger load safer. People that say "get up earlier" are just jealous. I'd never take a slow long tail on a loaded out boat into the delta here, sometimes having the ass to get over waves and off the bay faster means safety.

Can't disagree with you there either. If you hunt big water the motor is needed for power not speed. I have a 40hp on my 16' Jon boat. But I don't think there was a single time I used at full throttle. But there were a couple times when we got hung up in 2-3 foot waves it was nice to trim it up high and give it a 1/4 throttle and have that front end pop straight up and over the waves. Couldn't ever do that with a 20hp.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firewokey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:58 pm

ok got ya.long tail makes trip longer,shorter drive makes trip longer....about 7 miles up or down river from my house puts me on 1 of two lakes i hunt.mud motor is just for cut backs in river.S I am thinking that neither is really way to go unless i get a great buy on a surface drive.using a 14 ft v bow now with a 9.9 and just me and dog with our gear and decoys it takes me 30 min. to get to my best spot.A guy i work with came out to hunt and boat was way under powered.I have a 50 hp i can use on a boat if i can find one to hold it.Maby i will go that rout.
firewokey

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 pm

If I didn't have a 200hp on the barge I wouldn't be able to run 20mph at half throttle. Not having max hp is irresponsible
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:11 pm

A surface drive on a non-mud hull doesn't work from everything I've heard.
If you can use an outboard where you want to go 90% of the time, then IMO that's what you should get.
In my 1648 flat bottom with a 40hp and a moderate load I can idle in 10" of water.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firewokey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:17 pm

What would be the most over the max suggested hp a manufacturer puts on a boat..I have a 50 hp evenrude and the Grizzly 1860 has a max rating for a 40.....What ya think..That would save me thousands
firewokey

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:49 pm

firewokey wrote:What would be the most over the max suggested hp a manufacturer puts on a boat..I have a 50 hp evenrude and the Grizzly 1860 has a max rating for a 40.....What ya think..That would save me thousands

You'll be fine. As long as there aren't any laws against it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firewokey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Laws?...What laws?...lol....i was just wondering if there was a unspoken rule about it
firewokey

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:06 pm

firewokey wrote:What would be the most over the max suggested hp a manufacturer puts on a boat..I have a 50 hp evenrude and the Grizzly 1860 has a max rating for a 40.....What ya think..That would save me thousands

Apparently jehler is the king of over powering boats. Ask him :lol:
FlintRiverFowler

Postby outboardman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:08 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:How small you think this guys **** is?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Guys a retard if he thinks anyone thinks with a new exhaust and a intake he can double the HP. There is nothing you can do to double the HP accept maybe a supercharger or turbocharger. :fishing: Still sounds like a 25hp brigs motor.
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum